Nook's Reef!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12346016#post12346016 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dudester
How will you handle topoff, and is there a saltwater mixing/RODI storage area in there?

If I recall correctly from the other night... there are two 250 gallon storage units. One for top off and the other for salt mixing (both could be used in an emergency).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12346104#post12346104 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kentrob11
Next time I come over I'm taking frags of everything in the bar :p

I remember the last time you and cap fragged the bar.

drunk-groom-deadissue.JPG

mdavey_drunk2.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12347457#post12347457 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drgabe
If I recall correctly from the other night... there are two 250 gallon storage units. One for top off and the other for salt mixing (both could be used in an emergency).
OK thanks, but I'm interested in what method he'll use for topoff (osmolator vs. float valves, etc.) and how the tanks are plumbed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12350128#post12350128 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dudester
OK thanks, but I'm interested in what method he'll use for topoff (osmolator vs. float valves, etc.) and how the tanks are plumbed.

Dude, this may not answer the question completely, but 'Nook said he was doing manual nightly topoffs for now. Throw a switch and some big nasty pump in the side of the house moves the water into the sump. Then 'Nook decides at the right time to turn it off. Walk away done. :)

I am sure he'll clear up the rest when he returns. :cool:

As my most excellent spokesman has stated:D, I am not going to be using auto-topoff perse but will just do it manually each day. My reason for this is that I am home most of the time and while I have had good success with auto-topoff in the past, I figured why take a chance.

A few friends helped me run plumbing and wire to a couple 225g reservoirs that I simply turn a ball valve on at the sump and then hit a switch. I have a Panworld 800gph pump that quickly tops off for me, then I turn the switch off and close the ball valve.

Cool, thanks guys, and sorry if I missed that earlier in the thread. I was paying attention, I promise!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12351882#post12351882 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kentrob11
What she said....

Hey you left your girl glasses out at my place the other night and Shelly claimed them so you better get shopping. :D

I'll tell you this much... the long tank looks 1000% better. I though the cube looked sweet with some nice tunnels- but we shall see what 'Nook says after the scotch wears off.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12352008#post12352008 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drgabe
I'll tell you this much... the long tank looks 1000% better. I though the cube looked sweet with some nice tunnels- but we shall see what 'Nook says after the scotch wears off.

I think the cube tank needs some different liverock. The long tank does look great, but the cube is lacking shapely liverock.

Thanks Gabe for all your help:D I will put some pics up tonight if I get feeling better...stomach flu or something last couple days.

Great looking tanks and amazing skimmer!!!!

Just wondering why the feed inlet is so low on the skimmer? What happens when you turn the feed pump off?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12352371#post12352371 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Typhon
Great looking tanks and amazing skimmer!!!!

Just wondering why the feed inlet is so low on the skimmer? What happens when you turn the feed pump off?

There is a check valve on the lowside so the skimmer doesn't drain into the sump.

A few pics, mainly equipment

A few pics, mainly equipment

DSCN2367.jpg~original

DSCN2368.jpg~original

DSCN2381.jpg~original

DSCN2383.jpg~original

DSCN2384.jpg~original

DSCN2385.jpg~original

DSCN2386.jpg~original

DSCN2387.jpg~original

DSCN2388.jpg~original

Last edited by a moderator:
man, this looks awesome. the finished product will no doubt leave any houseguest speachless..

*reads user info*

...after seeing this setup, i dont even want to THINK about how much you charge for an igloo ;)

2963DSCN2022-med.JPG

what is that, that is hanging in your sump... im looking to make a nitrate, phosphate reactor, and that is what it looks like it is.. I whould love to see more pictures..

Last edited:
Back