Nook's Reef!!

Wow, for a second there I thought I was looking at a real reef!

DSC_0105_3.jpg~original

Dave.M

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question. Have you used this style drain in your sump before? I'm redoing my sump currently and like this style if it works well.

The build looks amazing BTW. Clearly you've put a ton of time and thought into this... and that's before you even got to the reef portions ;)

Looks great, except for the messy glue purple primer. :worried2:

The corals are outstanding !

Thanks. Nooks Reef is getting a major overhaul. The long tank is going freshwater and the cube tank is going all SPS.

Thanks. Nooks Reef is getting a major overhaul. The long tank is going freshwater and the cube tank is going all SPS.

Very cool. Once I finish my tank and family room and then move into the living room, I am considering putting in a freshwater planted tank. I like the thought of having both types as well. Looking forward to following this.

I'm approaching old age and have to be more responsible with my money!

Cleary we need an intervention here. You need to get your priorities in order. Like making sure to stock your tank over food and clothing. C'mon. Get with the program.

Yeah, I do get you. I guess I'm lucky in that I am kinda low tech with minimal equipment. The only thing that gets expensive is if I actually buy a fish or corals.

Tanks are both dismantled and now I'll be going acropora in the cube tank and some kind of fish in the long tank. A few pics of the new sumps:

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a couple great friends help me get these tanks up and running again. Thanks to Smoothdog for plumbing them expertly and shoring up a couple of leaks. His help with the engineering of the drains, returns, etc etc was invaluable! I’ll shoot some picks up when I figure out tapatalk or Flickr.

Also, my two friends Mr D Smack and Rams have spent countless days and hours helping me with taking down the old tanks, hauling sumps out, carrying pretty much everything from salt mix to sand to recliners to you name it. They helped keep my fish/corals alive after a difficult back surgery and I’m lucky to have such loyal friends! I wouldn’t be where I’m at today reestablishing these tanks without their help. I’m also a grouchy and particular SOB and they just take it in stride, I owe them huge.

Anyway, the 375 gallon tank is Lake Tanganyika with cyphotilapia gibberosa from Lupota, commonly known as Fronts. I’m raising 27 babies at present and will be adding some other Tanganyikan fish in a few months, then thinning the herd significantly down to 9-12 fish. The purpose of this tank is easy going, low energy, low electricity, low light fish.

The 5ft by 5ft by 30 in tank will be dedicated to SPS, Three Ritteri anemones and some killer shrooms and Yuma from Vietnam. Still trying to visualize what it’ll turn into, but I’m thinking it’ll be pretty bad to the bone. Before, both tanks combined were 1100 gallons and I was mixing too many huge leathers, fish and losing the nutrient battle. I’ve learned a bit running that system from 2008-2017, so I’m hoping to apply some of those hard lessons to this tank for a better end result. I’ll be adding live rock in February from Pukani, and have some very live rock I’ll add to my sump after removing some of the phosphate.

More updates and pictures to come:)

Back