Three Hayward 2" bulkheads connecting sumps
2963DSCN2074-med.JPG

Three bulkheads different view
2963DSCN2075-med.JPG

Random plumbing
2963DSCN2077-med.JPG

Last but not least.....
2963DSCN2080-med.JPG

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11008101#post11008101 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Im Lon 2
When are you doing the water test...

Probably next Thursday night...bring your towels:D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11008996#post11008996 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by d.french
nice work, did you do all that dave or did the old man help you out.

I did the plumbing on the inside of the overflows and all the unions, fittings and ballvalves below the overflows. The rest of the plumbing we did as a team last night with capncapo, chadfarmer and fade32....we worked til about 1230am.

Wow, beautiful setup.... Can't wait to see it up and running.. What protein skimmer are you planning to use?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11011852#post11011852 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jar*Head
Wow, beautiful setup.... Can't wait to see it up and running.. What protein skimmer are you planning to use?

A custom Geo needlewheel...not sure on the specifics, but I think he is using 18" cell cast acrylic for the body.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11007452#post11007452 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nanook
Plumbing time!!!
Cube tank drains to sump#1
2963DSCN2065-med.JPG

Quick question. Have you used this style drain in your sump before? I'm redoing my sump currently and like this style if it works well.

The build looks amazing BTW. Clearly you've put a ton of time and thought into this... and that's before you even got to the reef portions ;)

I have not used this type of drain in the past. Geo is the guy who built the sumps and he designed these drains into the sump. I think the hole in the top helps to alleviate excess air from entering the sump and the pipes are angled at the bottom.

I have been working on this project for about 3-4 years and have given my system a lot of thought and made many changes along the way:D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11022325#post11022325 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nanook
I have not used this type of drain in the past. Geo is the guy who built the sumps and he designed these drains into the sump. I think the hole in the top helps to alleviate excess air from entering the sump and the pipes are angled at the bottom.

I have been working on this project for about 3-4 years and have given my system a lot of thought and made many changes along the way:D

:thumbsup: Good enough for me. I'll probably give it a try. My only question (which probably can't be answered until it's running), is at what water volume does the solution become overwhelmed. As you push more and more water through, there has to be a point at which the water is traveling too fast for the bubbles to make it's way up the pipe. I think as long as the overflows aren't all pushed too hard it will work VERY well.

Impressive plumbing...hopefully those tank drains will be nice and quiet for you.

Good luck with the water test.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11019134#post11019134 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RokleM
Quick question. Have you used this style drain in your sump before? I'm redoing my sump currently and like this style if it works well.

I've used these kinds of drains for a number of years. They cut down tremendously on the amount of turbulence and bubbles coming into the tank. The only part I would be prepared to tweak is the length of the top pipe. Sometime based on the amount of flow you need to have the pipe a little longer.

Looks great so far Nook!

Hey Nanook, that bow valley aquarium tag hanging on your wall is from Calgary, is that where you live? If so, I live in Calgary and if your setting up that system you gotta let me see it when its done, its amazing so far.

Back