NOY's Sun Corals

Latest Rescue Project
These started out as having very little skin left sitting at the bottom of a frag tank in a LFS. I noticed they were branching dendros and even though the LFS owner agreed they had at best a week or so life left at their present state - I still had to haggle to get any kind of discount.

After a couple of months the colour came back and I actually recently started to get regular polyp extension and regular feeding. These are 3 separate (small) colonies.

IMG_1728

IMG_1730

IMG_1729

IMG_1708

This one has even grown some new heads!

IMG_1710

Here's mine.
Living in a 12g nano.
They come out everyday at 4:30 for feeding.

DSC_0798_zpsa25df8db.jpg

Here's mine.
Living in a 12g nano.
They come out everyday at 4:30 for feeding.

Nice stuff kmbyrnes, those look like Tubastraea coccinea. You should feed it regular (like daily) so that you can restore the tissue between the polyps. Ideally, it should have a full mat of tissue covering the rock between the polyps.

Thanks Noy, It is making a comeback after not eating for 3 months. Thought for sure I was going to lose it, but it has been doing great the last 2 months. BTW, Yours are awesome

raising Rotifers for my NPS - 1st batch

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sVwbX7d2yI8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had Sun Corals 15+ years ago and loved them. Somehow I was able to keep them alive with an Eclipse hood unit modded with a small protein skimmer and a small extra pc. One night I saw them release hundreds of little round things. Some time later I had mini Sun Corals growing all over my tank. Was pretty cool. And I'm guessing pretty lucky.

I had Sun Corals 15+ years ago and loved them. Somehow I was able to keep them alive with an Eclipse hood unit modded with a small protein skimmer and a small extra pc. One night I saw them release hundreds of little round things. Some time later I had mini Sun Corals growing all over my tank. Was pretty cool. And I'm guessing pretty lucky.

That is very cool. If you still have pics you should post them. My dendros spawn (not the Tubastraea though) but I've never had them actually take root anywhere. My fish eats the released eggs/sperm and I have a high flow tank so they really don't take root anywhere.

I have purchased black micantha suns and saved them as well as others! :)

That's the way to go. I think sun corals more than any other corals become rescue corals because the initial buyers often don't realize they have to be fed regularly.

Not sure what type of Sun i had. Looked very similar to the first image in post 1 or img 5563. What happened with my Sun Coral and it's offspring was a "Perfect Storm" of Luck! And unfortunately I have no pics :(

Was one of my favorite corals though. I bought it in poor condition and with regular feeding; and what I would now consider poor lighting it somehow seemed to thrive.

That is very cool. If you still have pics you should post them. My dendros spawn (not the Tubastraea though) but I've never had them actually take root anywhere. My fish eats the released eggs/sperm and I have a high flow tank so they really don't take root anywhere.

Hi noy,
What kind of light do You have in your tank?

110 gallon tall

6x54W T5's (mix of 10-20K with a Fiji red)
1 Kessil 360W
2 Kessil A150's
1 home made moonlight strip.

I used to have a second Kessil 360WE but moved that over to the gorgonian tank.

Total overkill!

Woke up and found the following happening

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/ji_KhdkjfaY?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/ji_KhdkjfaY?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Rhizo spawning!!!. It was doing it regularly at about 15 minute intervals.

How many rhizo do you have? I am guessing there might be male and female rhizos. It seems like every spawning event has multiple (at least 3) rhizos in a tank close together. That is pretty awesome you managed to get it on video. You must really be doing everything right with your tank.

How many rhizo do you have? I am guessing there might be male and female rhizos. It seems like every spawning event has multiple (at least 3) rhizos in a tank close together. That is pretty awesome you managed to get it on video. You must really be doing everything right with your tank.

5 altogether. I keep buying rescue projects.
I have to read up a bit on rhizo reproduction. I might try to capture and raise the eggs next time. Right now they end up being fish food.

Back