NYReefClub's True Swap

BIG L A

March.13,2011

NYReefClub is having its first True Swap!!! What will help this event become a success are our members. This event was thought of because everyone wanted an event where there was TRUE swapping going on. Sure it's great to go somewhere and see all the vendors pull out the best of the best. But this event will be for hobbyists only!! NO VENDORS, NO SELLING, JUST TRUE CORAL SWAPPING from reefer to reefer!!! Sounds good so far?? I thought so!
This is where YOU, our members come into play. In order for this to succeed we are asking that you bring the best of what you have. From hardy beginner coral's like Red, Green & Purple Caps, to advanced exotic's like Strawberry Shortcake & Purple Monster Acropora sp. which should go into established reef tanks (please see list of corals that aren't going to be accepted). Our goal is to try to promote propagation of corals amongst each other and in turn help our natural reefs in the process. So this means this TRUE SWAP is a little bit more personal between reefer to reefer and also being it's a member’s only event.

So here is how it will work :

1. You will bring your corals about an hour and a half before the swap itself for check in.
2. All corals will be inspected to insure that it is healthy and not freshly cut. (All corals that are in poor health or freshly fragged will not make it to the table.)
3. Name tags will be handed out with a picking group letter on it drawn by the participant at random.
4. The picking will go by order and then in reverse. More than likely an alphabetical system will be placed as the order.
5. Corals will then be put on tables and classified by grade ( i.e. grade A, grade B and so on). Then placed on tables by types of coral (i.e. Zoas,LPS, SPS ect.)
6. If you bring a Grade A Coral SPS, you will be able to pick from the A Grade Coral SPS Classification...etc etc.
7. Picking groups will be from 5-10 people and you will be given 5 minutes for the first round and less (maybe 3 minutes) for the later rounds. With some time in between rounds to keep it running smoothly.

SOUNDS GOOD!!! Yeah I think so too!!!

What Corals qualify?
Well, lets start out with which corals do not qualify:
Green Star Polyp, Kenya Trees, Button Polyps, Anthelia, Toadstool Leathers.

How are corals graded “A” type corals, “B” Type….,
This is where the fun starts. We, all of us (members, guests, and everyone) will decide on which corals make the grade. Post all opinions of which corals should be “A” “B” or “C” grade corals. Of course, “C” graded corals does not make them any less desirable.

Please keep in mind:
This is a Members only event.
You must be a current member of NYReefClub and also have attended at least one of our general meetings.

Hope to see you all there!!

Best Regards,
True Swap Organizers
NYReefClub

This thread will be updated with further information, so stay tuned...

Last edited:
NYReefClub would like to thank Bryan (aka seminolecpa BAR President) for their help and James (aka Educator on MR) for cluing us in to BAR (Bay area Reefers)

My idea for our True Swap.

My idea for our True Swap.

My idea for our True Swap..

It would be pretty difficult for everyone to decide on our forum right away which corals are of what grade designation.

So I was thinking at the actual swap -

We could just hold votes (simple hand raising will do) and possibly have

pictures of the coral in question on the projector for everyone to see.

Simply - the number of hands designating the grade of that particular coral will "win".

Quick example --> "King Midas Zoanthids"

-2 hands for Grade A

-7 hands for Grade B
--> Majority voted for Grade B designation. Nice, quick, simple and FAIR.

This could be used for some corals that weren't accounted for that some one may bring.

Now I'm pretty sure no one is going to be bringing in "Mandarin" Zoanthids...

but I'm sure most would agree it an "A" coral because they cost like

$1,000,000 per polyp/head. lol. :crazy1: :eek1:

:rolleye1:

I think we should start with, “which corals are people bringing to swap?” Then we could categorize the grades from there. Also, I think coral size should be factored in as well ie; nub, frag, branch, mini colony, colonies.

I will throw these guidelines out there for people to vote:
Nub: ½” – ¾”

Frag: 1” – 2” (no shoots growing out of it)

Branch: 2” or greater with smaller shoots, branches or nubs

Mini Colonies: If Zoa’s 10 – 20 heads, If Acro’s 2 or more branches with several shoots, if softies more than 10 stalks

Colonies: Greater then the above mini colonies if not double the size of a mini colony.

I feel we need to keep it simple and keep it sweet.

SPS Frags: 3/4 - 2 inch maximum on all SPS with encrusting plug(depending on particular species some do have multi shoots like a Ponape Birdsnest).

LPS Frags: Chalice's should have a full coralite(eye) also encrusting on plug. Acan's thats a little tricky... It should have 1 Full head with begining signs of baby or new growth... No Fresh Cuts!

Softy Frags: Shrooms, Rics, etc.. etc... 1 - 2 of your choice attached fully onto a plug or piece of rubble rock. Zoa's - Depending on Zoa Grade itself, either 1 or 5 polyps maximum encrusting on frag plug.

This way if all members bring the same size... NO ONE can say well I brought a bigger piece in and I only got this size.
This will also save space on the tables and we do not have to put more tables & bins out for colony sections.

JM Opine....

Last edited:
I say, lets see what people bring and NOT limit the swap to frags. I for one have branches, mini colonies and colonies.

Here are the frags and colonies I'm planning on swapping in March True Swap

SPS
2" Branch - Larry Jackson Purple Tip (nice coloration) Acro - Grade A
2" Plate Frag - Efflorence 500 - Grade A

1" Frag - Purple Nana (deep purple) - Grade A or B
2" Branch - Purple Digitata - Grade B
2" Branch - Light Green Digitata - Grade B
2" Branch - Bali Staghorn Acropora Bright Green Slimmer - or B
2" Branch - Teal Tort Acro - Grade B
2" Branch - Mike Accardi's Teal Staghorn Acropora - Grade B

I agree with Dr. Harry..

There should be size classification along side grade classification...

That will actually keep things simpler...

And hey listen...

I know it may be unlikely but under the owner's discretion - some one may want a Grade B coral and not mind trading a Grade A coral for it..

What about cabbage coral grading?

Parent-CabbageTH.jpg

OKay I'm going to need some corals classified...
1) King Midas zoa
2) Green Digitada
3) Red Digitada
4) Elk Horn
5) Blue Cali Tort

I have some more but I'm not sure of the names... I'll take pics and post them on this thread and let you guys decide.

OKay I'm going to need some corals classified...
1) King Midas zoa
2) Green Digitada
3) Red Digitada
4) Elk Horn
5) Blue Cali Tort

I have some more but I'm not sure of the names... I'll take pics and post them on this thread and let you guys decide.

1) King Midas zoa - IDK
2) Green Digitada - common i'd say C
3) Red Digitada - not so common A/B?
4) Elk Horn - not so common B
5) Blue Cali Tort - Fancy A!

Just my humble opinion...., I'll take a #3 n #5 :uzi:

I think before we start to classify anything (should be done unaminously), we should 1st come up with a list of corals requested for the True Swap. Then people should post corals that they can bring(like Big LA just did) and who are willing to frag it now so it can be healed in time to ensure the best survivability for the True Swap.

Then after the list is generated and we find out what people have to offer for frags, we (The Officers) can all vote on the grading.. A,B,C or D instead of doing it the same day. I say this because I'm sure the day of the True swap, we the Officers are going to be extremely busy setting things up and running around to ensure things are running smoothly.

Did this make sense?? I feel like I'm repeating myself but saying it in other words! LOL!!

Am I OK??

Corals Wanted 4 The True Swap

Corals Wanted 4 The True Swap

Strawberry Shortcake
Oregon Blue Tort
Purple Monster
Hawkins Enchinata
Blue Voodoo
PearlBerry
Pink Lemonade
500 Efflo
Red Planet
Tricolor Validia
Purple Nana
Purple Bonsia
20K Lokani
Turaki
Australian Delicate
Birdsnests(Any and All)
Stylo's(Any and All)
Procillopora's(Any and All)
Montipora Setosa
Rose, Pink, Green, Blue, Purple & Rainbow Millie's
Red Cap
Green Cap
123.... LOL! JK
Idaho Grape Cap
Encrusting Montis
Favia's (Any and All)
Favites
Fungia's
Acans(Any and All)
Chalice's
Zoanthid's & Paly's (NO BROWN BUTTON,GREEN IMPLOSIONS & NO YELLOW POLYPS).
Ricordia's

Anyone else???:bounce3:

Items for the TRUE SWAP.

Items for the TRUE SWAP.

Items I will be bringing to the True Swap:
Tyree Montipora Setosa
ORA Tricolor Valida
Blue tip Bali Green Slimer
500 Efflo
Spongebob Hybrid Favia
Brown Base Purple Polyp Birdsnest
Spongodes