O/T World Cup..England vs USA

45commando

Hi all,
just wanted to try & push the "beautiful game" onto everyone.If you have ever been on the fence with football(soccer)afterall we actually use our feet in this game,then now would be a great time to rally behind "team USA".I,however am a Brit,so will be cheering Rooney & England,but this is a huge game for the USA.The last time the USA & England faced off it was a 1-0 victory to the USA,which was in 1950.The English papers at the time figured it was a misprint,so stated that "England had won 10-0 against the US" only to be sadly put wrong,the USA team at that time being made up mainly of amatuers-so a huge insult to the "3 Lions".The USA then didn't even qualify for 40 years,so this game is a big deal.I hope you all show your support for "TEAM USA".I will be cheering for another team,but this is a great time to embrace & promote the game in the USA.See you in the pub,regards,Darcy. :beer:

Good lucking finding Americans that care..........

.....Which I think is kinda sad. I never paid much attention until the last world cup; my coworkers at the time were big on it and we all spent alot of slow workdays watching it on espn360. I got kinda hooked. LOVED seeing the US run in the Confed cup! I will be supporting the boys tomorrow.

Still not a HUGE fan or anything, and I couldn't care less about club soccer, but when you get national pride involved it takes on a whole new tone.

Are you a native brit?

Though I may care about soccer only once every four years, I do enjoy the World Cup. And having no particular affinity for any team other than the USA, it is a great opportunity to pull for a bunch of underdogs to pull some upsets against Brazil and the rest of the favorites. Count me is rooting for countries like Cameroon, Ivory Coast, and Honduras to knock off some of the bigger boys.

When I was a kid, the TV on Saturday afternoons was off limits, because Dad was watching the "Bundesliga", the German Soccer league. No if's and's or but's, I grew up with soccer until I was old enough to go to the stadium myself, every second Saturday to watch "Eintracht Frankfurt", our local team play.
I'm fully equipped for the games. When I was over there couple weeks ago, I picked up a German flag for the car and Gummibears in the German colors....yes, we Germans take our soccer very serious....

Count me is rooting for countries like Cameroon, Ivory Coast, and Honduras to knock off some of the bigger boys.

Don't count the Ivory Coast out,they are in a tuff group,but have the leading goal scorer in the English premier league as their skipper.Granted he broke his arm this week,but looks like he will play & if he sniffs the goal then game over:)

Rogger,long time no speak.Glad you & the fam are getting into the game,I'm gonna put my neck out & say England 2,USA 1.Will be at the pubs tomorrow,have a safe & fun world cup,regards,Darcy.

Sup Andrea,
it's a shame the German skipper got hurt & wont be playing,however if England meets Germany in round of 16,then i'll look at it as carma.Take care & enjoy the games

Good lucking finding Americans that care..........

Are you a native brit?

The game is becoming more popular here with each season,which is why the USA needs to do well in the world cup.It is the biggest game in the world-love it or hate it,so it is only a matter of time until the game becomes huge here.When you have owners of clubs such as Drew Carey in Seatle,then it is a huge boost.

As for being a native Brit,I support West Ham-so that is a yes(not that many people would admit it,looking at the season they had:sad2:)

USA needs a higher level of professional soccer in a big way.....its the most popular sport in the country for kids ages 4-11 or something like that and then they all switch to other sports and because they didn't play those other sports since they were as young, they are not as good. If soccer was bigger, more kids would end up playing professionally.

That and it's an awesome sport, but hey....I also like hockey.

Oh and if you want the US to host another World Cup...sign the petition!!! http://www.gousabid.com/

Petition signed,though I'm really wanting England to host the 2018-it would be a great time to go back.I'm planning to go over for the 2012 Olympics,but the atmosphere of the world cup,can't be topped.

Glad to see so many of our reefers have evolved to the level of soccer. The USA needs to join the rest of the world in acknowledging that the World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world. Yes, I am a football, basketball and baseball fan too but I have positively evolved over many years to appreciate soccer even more.

Go USA!

American here, and pretty much fit the whole, played till I was 10-11, then moved on. We have been watching as much as possible, but not to the level of some of my brazilian friends.

Big Soccer fan here. In fact, I am currently in a back brace after surgery to correct an injury from soccer in high school. I will be watching!!!
By the way, the game is on at 1:30 on ABC.

Last edited:
OK,
I'm off to the pub.Will be wearing my England shirt & have a feeling I will be seriously outnumbered.Regardless of the score,I think it will be a great match.Watch out for our right winger Aaron Lennon,he is lightning on the ball.Cheers all

Spain looks unbeatable on paper, Brasil is always a favorite, interstring to see how Argentina does with coach Maradona and Messi, Can't wait to see Ronaldo play for Portugal. Work will have to wait, world cup is on!!! This is the only sport in the world that can stop a war! last world cup there was a cease fire during the game in Iraq when the iraq national team was playing. That's not the first time that a cease fire has happen during world cup either!

images

well at least everyone knows who will not be the goalkeeper for England in the next game.I am still in shock as to why England didn't finish the game off right at the start.The USA played great & deserve to finish top of group.I think if England had your keeper,we could win the cup.Well played team USA....I'm off to drink heavily.

Back