Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

No filters for me either in fact, I’ve never heard of anybody running a filter before their calcium reactor. I pull from the return section of my sump and there is no detritus in there at all. Even if here was, I don’t think it would be an issue.

A while back I heard someone at one of our club meetings saying that he had a filter or maybe a screen of some sort, just thought I would ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have multiple of these but one of the 7550-50 1.6-100RPM Brushless, on priming shows error 3...
upon checking it means it is drawing more power than it should, on max start up, happens sometimes not always.
Called company, too expensive to fix.
Any lead what I can do?
Thanks

I had the same issue on my 7523-80 company said it's logic board won't just sell me the board cost way to much to fix. I know motor works as I can swap it with my working one. Guess I'll use it for parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had the same issue on my 7523-80 company said it's logic board won't just sell me the board cost way to much to fix. I know motor works as I can swap it with my working one. Guess I'll use it for parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mine works perfectly fine otherwise
Very reliable except occasionally on priming (which we never really have to do) shows the error. I press any button and it resets and starts working normally

Pretty sure Adam at battle corals is running a filter on his. Might want to check out his build thread on the other forum. For me I just rinse all my media in rodi whenever I top it off. So maybe once every 6-9 months.

Well...Finally remedied a big fauxpaux I made with my masterflex. When I got mine I opted for the quick setup and use rather than the correct one. Ive had mine for about a year now. Served me really well for the first couple months. As some of you saw a few pages back, I inquired about LS15 tubing. Well apparently I had been using the wrong kind. Clear Tygon LS15 tubing. Rated for very short life. I was getting a month or two out of each tubing run before holes would form.

Eventually I also began getting massive leaking from where the roller head tubing would join the effluent tubing. Rather than ordering the correct parts from usplastics.com, I used cheap 1/8" airline tubing connectors with zip ties. Yeah they held the tubes together...But didnt form a tight seal. Eventually I came home to a soaked equipment cabinet and puddle under it that had slowly formed.

Having multiple setbacks in a row really kicked me into gear. I actually contemplated selling my entire calcium reactor and getting a ghl doser and tropic marin balling salts. Glad I didn't. Finally placed my order with US Plastics today and got the correct adaptors outlined in the first page, and the correct Pharmed BPT tubing. Need to give the rollers on my easyload head a rinse in rodi water and get this reactor back up and running. Kalkwasser works fine and can keep up with my tanks demand (barely), but I feel like I'm missing all the other goodness a reactor supplies. Hopefully my tubing will last longer and be leak free this time around.

Watch my old brushed and beat up pump die all together next time I fire it up.

I️ have a question about noise on brushless pumps. Is there an expected noise difference between a 6-600 and a .1-600?

What U.S. Plastics Pharmed Tubing Matches Masterflex LS 17 Tubing?

What U.S. Plastics Pharmed Tubing Matches Masterflex LS 17 Tubing?

I purchased a Masterflex Easy-Load II pump head, Model No. 77201-60. It uses L/S tubing 13, 14, 16, 25, 17, and 18. I gather from the many posts in this thread that most folks use L/S 17 tubing. I see also that the longer-life and cheaper alternative to purchasing tubing from Masterflex is to buy Pharmed tubing from U.S. Plastics.

Sounds great. What actual Pharmed tubing product do I buy for the L/S 17 from U.S. Plastics? From a previous post, it was suggested that I order Pharmed 57320, having an interior diameter of 1/4" and an outer diameter of 1/2", with a wall thickness of 1/8". However, it is not clear to me that this is the correct U.S. Plastics tubing that works with an L/S 17-compatible pump head.

Could someone please confirm what specific product I should be ordering for a long-life, Pharmed tubing from U.S. Plastics, to fit my Masterflex Easy-Load II pump head that accommodates LS 17 tubing? Thank you.

I can confirm that is the stuff I use, works great. I used to change it every quarter but I've gotten lazy and its been 6 months with my current strip and it is still going strong.

You only need to use about a foot, so that 5' length should last you a while.

I can confirm that is the stuff I use, works great. I used to change it every quarter but I've gotten lazy and its been 6 months with my current strip and it is still going strong.

You only need to use about a foot, so that 5' length should last you a while.

Awesome. Thanks, SFDan.

Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

My pump came with two heads, and I looked for a single head screw instead of the expensive Cole Parmer set. Found this at Fastenal, except had to order it and ship to store, minimum $10 order so I got 10 of them. Have extra so I can ship to anyone that needs it.

#8-32 x 2-1/2" ASTM F837 Hex Drive Grade 18-8 Stainless Steel Socket Cap Screw
Fastenal Part No. (SKU) 0171097

The original is 2-1/4", so it's tad longer, but still tightens all the way barely, another 1-2mm and it would bottom out. Gonna add a stainless steel washer for extra measure. No cutting like with a threaded rod.

Last edited:
Here is my setup guys, was able to get a good deal on a new Watson Marlow peristaltic pump. Currently, I am using 1/8"ID neoprene tubing but I am expecting some 1/4" ID neoprene tubing tomorrow. Dont want to work my pump as hard.

Here is the pic, these Watson Marlow are really sweet looking and quiet!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my setup guys, was able to get a good deal on a new Watson Marlow peristaltic pump. Currently, I am using 1/8"ID neoprene tubing but I am expecting some 1/4" ID neoprene tubing tomorrow. Dont want to work my pump as hard.

Here is the pic, these Watson Marlow are really sweet looking and quiet!!

Wow... those Watson Marlow 520s are really nice, adjustable down to the milliliter like the higher end digital Masterflex pumps. I have a 220 RPM Watson Marlow 505s that gives me adjustability down to the RPM, thus I use the smaller LS25 sized tubing so I can have more incremental adjustability when dialing in. I do love it though because even though my 505s is bushed, at the low RPMs required to run my CaRx, it is absolutely dead silent!

https://flic.kr/p/YDqAF7

Last edited by a moderator:
My 505 is on the fritz. No matter what it try, the control pad won't unlock any more. I suspect it's got a short somewhere.

Yeah, I read that on the other site... no response from Watson Marlow when you tried to contact them?

Last edited:
They sent me a reset procedure, but no dice. I'm just going to hook up my DOS for a bit and see if I can get the WM running properly. If not, back to Fleabay.

Back