Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

I've noticed that my sps aren't as happy as they usually are so I tested my alk and it's higher then I like. What would be the best route on bring it down? Back off co2, ramp up m/f, or back off both? TIA

Can someone let me know if a COLE-PARMER Masterflex Microprocessor Pump 7524-10 with Easy Load head 7518-0 good enough ? Am not sure about the noise level on this one as am not sure if its brushless . If anyone has used one, please chime in

Regards,
Abhishek

Not a brushless so it will be fairly noisy. It also looks like its a 60 RPM model which if true makes it not a good choice. Ideally you want 600 rpm model as it will last much longer due to a lower RPM percentage at our usage rates.
https://www.coleparmer.com/i/drive-mflex-l-s-1-60-rpm-115v/0752410?searchterm=7524-10

I've noticed that my sps aren't as happy as they usually are so I tested my alk and it's higher then I like. What would be the best route on bring it down? Back off co2, ramp up m/f, or back off both? TIA

Back off CO2.

The question I have is why is it higher? Was the tank stable with this setup? If so, the SPS may not be consuming as much and that is why the tank went higher. Check everything, do not just assume it is because of higher alk.

This setup should be very stable and anytime it went from balanced to too high of alk I would be concerned that there is something reducing consumption. High phosphates among other things can inhibit calcification.

Back off CO2.

The question I have is why is it higher? Was the tank stable with this setup? If so, the SPS may not be consuming as much and that is why the tank went higher. Check everything, do not just assume it is because of higher alk.

This setup should be very stable and anytime it went from balanced to too high of alk I would be concerned that there is something reducing consumption. High phosphates among other things can inhibit calcification.

That didn't cross my mind, thank you for bringing it up! I sold a huge colony and some frags recently. That and now that you mentioned PO4. I just tested it 2 days ago and it is also higher then usual. GFO was changed and since have noticed that the SPS is starting to slime at the base again. I backed off the CO2 this morning and will continue to monitor alk daily to see where it will settle. Thanks again!

I still have to find the sweet spot with the dosing pump, I’m dosing 350ml a day of Randy’s recipe at the moment but I’m still not keeping up with consumption, so will have to increase it further.

I had thought about dosing Kalk with the calcium reactor - so interested to hear that you haven’t seen much of a boost to your pH with the Kalk.

How large is your tank?

apologies if already asked inside this 50+ pg thread

apologies if already asked inside this 50+ pg thread

As you might know- I've been reefing for a long time. I just set up a new 265 with my GEO 624 + Carbondoser CaRx.
The needle valve thing gets old.
I already have a peristaltic pump here- my Spectrapure Litermeter.
Could a Litermeter be used to pull from my GEO?
It doesn't seem like a novel idea to me...is anybody doing this?

great thread from what I had time to read- TIA

As you might know- I've been reefing for a long time. I just set up a new 265 with my GEO 624 + Carbondoser CaRx.

The needle valve thing gets old.

I already have a peristaltic pump here- my Spectrapure Litermeter.

Could a Litermeter be used to pull from my GEO?

It doesn't seem like a novel idea to me...is anybody doing this?

great thread from what I had time to read- TIA

There litermeter pumps are not meant for continuous cycle. Will burn out over time plus you can't adjust the flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I realize Litermeter works a little differently than some of the other pumps being mentioned in this thread...
but it DOES work continuously and I CAN adjust the flow.
Been using one for over a decade now to dose kalk.

I realize Litermeter works a little differently than some of the other pumps being mentioned in this thread...
but it DOES work continuously and I CAN adjust the flow.
Been using one for over a decade now to dose kalk.

Of course, you can run it continuously. The question is how long will it last if you do.

I'm loving my new-to-me Masterflex. However, if the power goes out I have to manually restart it. Is there a setting change I can make to prevent me having to do this? Unfortunately, my power went out briefly one day and I didn't notice that the pump was not running until 2 days later. Now I find myself checking on it daily.

I'm loving my new-to-me Masterflex. However, if the power goes out I have to manually restart it. Is there a setting change I can make to prevent me having to do this? Unfortunately, my power went out briefly one day and I didn't notice that the pump was not running until 2 days later. Now I find myself checking on it daily.

I am pretty sure all Masterflex have a way of setting auto restart. I have mine set up that way.

go to www.coleparmer.com and enter your pump model and find the intruction manual.

Gary, the Litremeter itself has not been mentioned for a reactor but one of the pumps has.
I think it's the ultra precise ATO.
If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me with the right model.

Depending on the model, some have the ability to automatically start on power on. I know my 7523-80 does.

Gary, the Litremeter itself has not been mentioned for a reactor but one of the pumps has.
I think it's the ultra precise ATO.
If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me with the right model.
Thanks, Vin.
I talked to Spectrapure and I'm doing it.
If it works, Litermeter seems a rather inexpensive alternative to other options.

Thanks, Vin.
I talked to Spectrapure and I'm doing it.
If it works, Litermeter seems a rather inexpensive alternative to other options.

Give it a try but I think a few others have given it a shot and it didn't work as well. I think they had a hard time dialing in the gas because the ph constantly fluctuated in the reactor. IMO it probably could work with some patience but please report back with your experience.

The kamoer calcium reactor pump looks like a promising alternative. Going to make it over to bigbluetang's house this weekend, he got his hands on one.

Try this.

Automatic Start Enable/Disable (INTernal mode only) Press and hold STOP/START on power-up. After five (5) seconds, display will change to all dashes. Then, while holding STOP/START, press PRIME five (5) times. Display will flash "ON" or "OFF". Use UP/DOWN (▲, ▼) arrow keys to set automatic start option. Press any other key to exit. When "ON" is selected, pump will start automatically at power-up if it was "ON" when powered down.

The kamoer calcium reactor pump looks like a promising alternative. Going to make it over to bigbluetang's house this weekend, he got his hands on one.

Mines still working well. I have it changed around to pull through the reactor at 50mL/m. I suppose at some point I'll measure the output and see what it's actually doing.

On a side note, what have folks done to connect the 1/4" RO tubing to the inputs and outputs of pumps like the kamoer that just have barbed surgical tubing connections? Trying to figure out how to get a air/water tight connection.

Mines still working well. I have it changed around to pull through the reactor at 50mL/m. I suppose at some point I'll measure the output and see what it's actually doing.

On a side note, what have folks done to connect the 1/4" RO tubing to the inputs and outputs of pumps like the kamoer that just have barbed surgical tubing connections? Trying to figure out how to get a air/water tight connection.

I've found the 1/4" vinyl tube from HD works well in the push to fit connections. Probably force it over the barbs and then use the clamps I link in the first page. Will update my findings after this weekend. That is actually one reason I am going over is to find an air leak...

I currently have some 3/8" silicone going over the 1/4" RO tubing, and then a reducing barb between the 3/8" silicone and some 1/4" silicone, which connects to the pump. It's sketchy but as far as I can tell, it's tight (used some wire ties along the way too)

Back