Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

You don’t need to use the Cole Parmer tubing. There is a link on the post 3 of the first page of this thread for the Pharmed type LS17 equivalent tubing from US Plastics that is sold by the foot. It also includes the parts needed to connect the tubing to 1/4” John Guest style push lock RODI tubing which is very convenient.

Here is the LS17 Pharmed type tubing sold by the foot.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25534

I am pretty certain the screw is 8-32 x 2-1/4” and you will want a stainless socket head type. It would be pretty easy to take the pump and head down to a hardware store like Ace or True Value Hardware and match up a set of stainless screws rather than ordering them online. It would also likely be cheaper since you don’t need to worry about shipping.

How challenging is it for someone with very little diy experience to replace brushes. The instructions seem pretty simple. My masterflex has been running for about 18 months continuously and it is an older model that shows significant wear and tear. It's got a ridiculously loud 60 hz hum that is constant. I wonder if fresh brushes would quiet that down some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How challenging is it for someone with very little diy experience to replace brushes. The instructions seem pretty simple. My masterflex has been running for about 18 months continuously and it is an older model that shows significant wear and tear. It’s got a ridiculously loud 60 hz hum that is constant. I wonder if fresh brushes would quiet that down some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Simple. Unplug the unit. Remove the cover. Remove the plastic cap that holds the brush in place on each side of the motor. Pull the old brushes, install the new ones. The screw the cap back in. Put the cover back on and your done. The whole process shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes. I don’t think the brushes will reduce the hum though it wouldn’t hurt to swap them anyways or at least inspect them to see how much carbon/graphite is left.

pros and cons of brushless V brushed ? Please .. thank you ..
if brushed. are part easy to get from cole parmer .. for lets say the 7230-20?

pros and cons of brushless V brushed ? Please .. thank you ..
if brushed. are part easy to get from cole parmer .. for lets say the 7230-20?

so how loud are we talking.. low hmm or ? anyone have a post of a video operating a brushed Cole palmer pump.. thanks

Chicago, take a few minutes and read the first page or two of this thread. The answers to most, if not all of your questions are right there. I was referred there myself by another member and I am so glad I did.

Will do.. i read it like four times.. fifth time is a charm..no problem.. i have a cheat sheet now on which ones are which.. brush v brushless. 100 rpm vs 600 rpm ect..

Were you able to change flow rate to 45, 55...? I can not do it. how do I change RPM?

Zip, I was able to change RPM 1 revolution per minute at a time, which is enough for me. Though a buddy just got a unit similar to mine and he can edit RPM by 10ths of a revolution.

Most of these units have manuals online as well.

Zip, I was able to change RPM 1 revolution per minute at a time, which is enough for me. Though a buddy just got a unit similar to mine and he can edit RPM by 10ths of a revolution.

Most of these units have manuals online as well.

The newer brushless models allow you to adjust in 1/10th RPM increments.

The newer brushless models allow you to adjust in 1/10th RPM increments.

Mine is 7523-60. I can only adjust from 50ml/min to 60 to 70....How do I make it to 55ml/min. , 56 ,58....?
I read a manual 3 or 4 times but I could not find how to do it.
I need help. Thank you

Mine is 7523-60. I can only adjust from 50ml/min to 60 to 70....How do I make it to 55ml/min. , 56 ,58....?
I read a manual 3 or 4 times but I could not find how to do it.
I need help. Thank you
Edit.
That is a 10-600 RPM pump that can only be controlled in .1 RPM increments up to 100 RPM according to the manual. LS 17 tubing on an Easy Load Head flows at 2.8ml/min per RPM so multiply that by your each RPM and that’s what you will get. The minimum flow for that pump with LS17 tubing would be 28ml/min (10 RPM Minimum). If you can only adjust from 50ml and up, it would sound like you are either using the wrong tubing or have the wrong tubing selected on the front panel because as noted above, 28ml/min should be the minimum flow rate with LS17 tubing which is what we typically recommend. You may also need to calibrate the pump. See section on calibration in the manual. See page 6 of the manual below.
https://pim-resources.coleparmer.com/instruction-manual/07523-60-70rev5.pdf

For reference, here are the flow rates per tubing diameter for an Easy Load 7518-00 and 7519-10 which are the common Easy Load heads that support LS17 tubing as well as other tubing sizes.

Tubing sizes acceptedL/S® 13, L/S 14, L/S 16, L/S 25, L/S 17, L/S 18

Volume Per Revolution With L/S 13 Tubing (mL)0.06
Volume Per Revolution With L/S 14 Tubing (mL)0.21
Volume Per Revolution With L/S 16 Tubing (mL)0.8
Volume Per Revolution With L/S 25 Tubing (mL)1.7
Volume Per Revolution With L/S 17 Tubing (mL)2.8
Volume Per Revolution With L/S 18 Tubing (mL)3.8

Link to head specs.
https://www.coleparmer.com/i/master...precision-tubing-psf-housing-ss-rotor/0751810

Last edited:
Thank you Slief...You are the man. Ok so if I want 55ml/min. I need to take 55/ 2.8 = 19.6 RPM. I need to set my RPM at 19 or 20 to get to 55? On the pump I need to choose RPM not SIZE anymore due to RPM override it?

Thank you Slief...You are the man. Ok so if I want 55ml/min. I need to take 55/ 2.8 = 19.6 RPM. I need to set my RPM at 19 or 20 to get to 55? On the pump I need to choose RPM not SIZE anymore due to RPM override it?

Yes but I revised my reply above after reading up on that pump. You should be able to select the ml/min but I suspect you need to calibrate the pump. Mine is a newer one (7523-80) that doesn’t require calibration. I think you can do exactly what you want if you select the correct tubing size on the pumps front panel and calibrate. Also keep in mind that I am assuming you are running LS17 tubing and not some other sized tubing.

Edit.
That is a 10-600 RPM pump that can only be controlled in .1 RPM increments up to 100 RPM according to the manual. LS 17 tubing on an Easy Load Head flows at 2.8ml/min per RPM so multiply that by your each RPM and that's what you will get. The minimum flow for that pump with LS17 tubing would be 28ml/min (10 RPM Minimum). If you can only adjust from 50ml and up, it would sound like you are either using the wrong tubing or have the wrong tubing selected on the front panel because as noted above, 28ml/min should be the minimum flow rate with LS17 tubing which is what we typically recommend. You may also need to calibrate the pump. See section on calibration in the manual. See page 6 of the manual below.
https://pim-resources.coleparmer.com/instruction-manual/07523-60-70rev5.pdf

For reference, here are the flow rates per tubing diameter for an Easy Load 7518-00 and 7519-10 which are the common Easy Load heads that support LS17 tubing as well as other tubing sizes.

Tubing sizes acceptedL/S® 13, L/S 14, L/S 16, L/S 25, L/S 17, L/S 18

Volume Per Revolution With L/S 13 Tubing (mL)0.06
Volume Per Revolution With L/S 14 Tubing (mL)0.21
Volume Per Revolution With L/S 16 Tubing (mL)0.8
Volume Per Revolution With L/S 25 Tubing (mL)1.7
Volume Per Revolution With L/S 17 Tubing (mL)2.8
Volume Per Revolution With L/S 18 Tubing (mL)3.8

Link to head specs.
https://www.coleparmer.com/i/master...precision-tubing-psf-housing-ss-rotor/0751810

The 50mil/min was an example. I just pick a random number. Actually L/S 17 the minimum you can adjust is 30ml/min.

Masterflex Peristaltic Pump

Masterflex Peristaltic Pump

OK, so I finally have all the components to start up my Masterflex 7550-30. I just want to be sure I set it up right. I have a GEO 612 reactor and I know my pump replaces the feeder pump I have been using. I think it should be set up like this, The intake tube from the pump goes into my sump, the output end of the pump goes into the input of the reactor and back into my sump. Is this correct? Please let know.

Back