Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

****New Contender for Continuous Duty Persitaltics!****

****New Contender for Continuous Duty Persitaltics!****

Hey guys, Ecotech has come out with a pump called the Versa. It is built to be continuous duty, app controllable, quiet, and affordable. They're $150 new.

I have one coming as do a few other friends. Will be swapping over asap to give a good review on it. This has been in the works for a while and I have communicated with ecotech many times regarding this... They are very aware of this thread and that we needed a continuous duty pump. It was built with this setup in mind :). Can't wait to get mine up and running.

Yes, I had this when the drive was on a power strip that had metal halides connected to it. I gave it a different power source and it cleared up. Error code 11 is a bus under voltage error.

Thanks. I think I try it plugging directly into an outlet and it still gives me the error. I'll try it again tonight.

Hmm, what firmware is on that drive? That isn't necessarily normal, however, I do have two identical drives with different firmware and the one with the older firmware makes that sound. I don't think it's a bearing.

I searched but couldn't find anything about it. Is there an easy way to upgrade the pump firmware?

Versa is an Excellent Choice for our Reactors!

Versa is an Excellent Choice for our Reactors!

I got my Versa on Thursday and immediately replaced my Masterflex. It has been running my reactor for 3 days, so far so good.

It feels very well built. Is quiet unless spinning at a fast rate of speed. Overall I think this is an excellent choice for $150. That is the price of a good Masterflex head. I think I should edit the original posts and possibly title to include the Versa, this thread has so much valuable information I would like to keep it going, but, I am excited that we no longer need to search out and navigate the playground that we have been (unless we want to :D !!).

I have a really good feeling about this pump! Now, we either need to convince Ecotech to make a mount for round tubes with a drip shield or have someone with a 3D printer make them for us! :D

My old reactor that is getting close to retirement. I've built a new, much larger, reactor for my new system and will be returning the Korallin C1502 to service on the coral QT in the near future. I have another Versa on the way for the Korallin.

49481730257_ca16f24ea2_c.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. Seems more reliable than Kamoer. Only thing is that it doesn't have dedicated buttons or physical control and require the app? Also, regarding use with Apex, you would just control on/off through the power supply?

There seems to be a "glitch" with some pumps that leak from fittings.
Echotech has a fix if you contact them.
For the price I would have taken this over my Kamoer, but it is very solid & works just fine so far.

Nice. Seems more reliable than Kamoer. Only thing is that it doesn’t have dedicated buttons or physical control and require the app? Also, regarding use with Apex, you would just control on/off through the power supply?

Yes, app control through Mobius to set it's variables. To control on/off you either use the app or a switched outlet. I personally like no phyiscal buttons. Less chance for water intrusion and less chance for turning it off accidentally.

There seems to be a "glitch" with some pumps that leak from fittings.
Echotech has a fix if you contact them.
For the price I would have taken this over my Kamoer, but it is very solid & works just fine so far.

It appears to only have been on a few early pumps and the issue has been corrected. Simple glitch in the push to fit connectors. Out of the 6 people I know who ordered a Versa on 1st availability only one had a leak. Ecotech promptly sent out the replacement tubing set.

I got my Versa on Thursday and immediately replaced my Masterflex. It has been running my reactor for 3 days, so far so good.

It feels very well built. Is quiet unless spinning at a fast rate of speed. Overall I think this is an excellent choice for $150. That is the price of a good Masterflex head. I think I should edit the original posts and possibly title to include the Versa, this thread has so much valuable information I would like to keep it going, but, I am excited that we no longer need to search out and navigate the playground that we have been (unless we want to :D !!).

I have a really good feeling about this pump! Now, we either need to convince Ecotech to make a mount for round tubes with a drip shield or have someone with a 3D printer make them for us! :D

My old reactor that is getting close to retirement. I've built a new, much larger, reactor for my new system and will be returning the Korallin C1502 to service on the coral QT in the near future. I have another Versa on the way for the Korallin.

So are you recommending this over the Masterflex?

Their literature does not indicate the motor is suitable for continuous 24/7 use, nor does it mention feeding calcium reactors.

I've pointed this out to vendors who have mentioned this as suitable. But I am deeply skeptical that the motor will last more than a year.

So are you recommending this over the Masterflex?

Unless something comes up that makes me think otherwise it appears Ecotech has delivered a great product that will suit our needs. BigBlueTang who was the local reefer who has had the Kamoer since it's debut has already replaced it with a Versa. I do believe they will prove to be more reliable long term.

At the cost of roughly 3 maxijet 1200s this pump puts this setup into the hands of everyone. To get a good used masterflex without a warranty you are looking $500+. With a Versa you get a year warranty and could buy 3 for the same price as the masterflex. Time will tell but Ecotech stands behind their products and has great customer service so I have a good feeling about this one.

Their literature does not indicate the motor is suitable for continuous 24/7 use, nor does it mention feeding calcium reactors.

I've pointed this out to vendors who have mentioned this as suitable. But I am deeply skeptical that the motor will last more than a year.

It absolutely was designed for continuous duty and is advertised as such.

Go the the section titled "HEAVY-DUTY"
https://ecotechmarine.com/versa

Commercial-grade construction using durable ABS plastics and precision gearing make the Versaâ„¢ is built to last. Designed to handle long term continuous use applications, time between servicing is greatly extended with the use of laboratory-grade silicone tubing.

Interesting. Every website has this sort of language:
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/versa-vx-1-dosing-pump-single-head-ecotech-marine/

without mention of continuous use.

Probably just working through literature. Ecotech has really advertised the new pump yet. I mean they still have typos on their site. It appears that they are very busy working on getting Mobius out, which I am also excited about. I have a lot of ecotech equipment... 10 vortechs (soon to be 14), 3 vectras(soon to be 5), and 2 versas (who knows how many I'll end up with, have 11 masterflex). It will nice to be able to control them. Wish my hydras could talk to it... 14 of those :lol:.

I'm sure once the dust settles there will be more uniform information but rest easy, I have been assured the Versa is capable of running a reactor long term.

I purchased a versa as a potential replacement for the venerable MasterFlex. My first versa made a grinding sound and had to be replaced. Second one leaked from the fittings and stopped moving fluid. I returned it. I KNOW the MasterFlex will run and run and run. Perhaps the versa will prove to be resilient and long lasting once the early glitches are worked. I also found möbius not all that easy to work with and instructions are non existent. For now I’m sticking with the MasterFlex and trying not to be distracted by bright shiny objects.

I purchased a versa as a potential replacement for the venerable MasterFlex. My first versa made a grinding sound and had to be replaced. Second one leaked from the fittings and stopped moving fluid. I returned it. I KNOW the MasterFlex will run and run and run. Perhaps the versa will prove to be resilient and long lasting once the early glitches are worked. I also found möbius not all that easy to work with and instructions are non existent. For now I'm sticking with the MasterFlex and trying not to be distracted by bright shiny objects.

That sucks, some of the early ones leaked, they've since corrected the assembly issue and would have shipped you a new set quickly. Anytime you release a new product there are bound to be hiccups. Maybe you can try again down the road.

That sucks, some of the early ones leaked, they've since corrected the assembly issue and would have shipped you a new set quickly. Anytime you release a new product there are bound to be hiccups. Maybe you can try again down the road.

Yes, of course "¦.. I even alluded to that in my post. I may well eventually use the versa in place of the MF; but I'll wait to see whether any other issues crop up before extolling its virtues as an acceptable replacement.

Back