Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

You can do that, I've done it. Those little guys are pretty noisy though. I use them for ato pumps. Very reliable in that regard but I don't think I would leave one running continuously. If you do go that route as with any continuous water change system you should run a conductivity probe. If something fails you want to know.

That said, it definitely works. You only need one adjustable occlusion head though. So you can match the other non adjustable one.

That said, it definitely works. You only need one adjustable occlusion head though. So you can match the other non adjustable one.

I didn't get that, I thought I learnt from you earlier that we need 2 of those adjustable occlusion heads.
Please explain one adjustable head and matching

Also, if we get the bigger variable rpm pumps are they ok to run continuous? I believe yes right? That's what these are meant to do.
I have a multiple cartridge head that I happen to get and will share one of my plans soon.
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't get that, I thought I learnt from you earlier that we need 2 of those adjustable occlusion heads.

Also, if we get the bigger variable rpm pumps are they ok to run continuous? I believe yes right? That's what these are meant to do.
I have a multiple cartridge head that I happen to get and will share one of my plans soon.
Thank you!

The adjustable occlusion heads allow you to pinch the line at each side of the head. Using it, you can restrict the flow of one head or the other to fine tune the flow from each head. This insures that both heads pump the same amount despite differences in head pressure or draw restrictions.

When you say bigger variable speed pump, not sure what model you are talking about but pretty much all of the larger Masterflex pumps are just fine for that application. The bigger the better with Cole Parmer.

Adjustable occlusion actualy adjusts the pinch between the rollers and the surface they pinch the tube against. When manufacturing the heads they have to leave the fixed occlusion heads a little loose to account for variation in manufacturing tolorances. If you pinch the tube too tight it will wear fast so they err on the side of longevity. In the end this means the heads may not pump exactly the same. It is ideal to have two adjustable heads for a water change system so you can get the occlusion set equally such that the heads are the same and get the occlusion set tighter so the head pressure doesn't effect the runs so much. Alternatively you can get away with one and just match the non adjustable head.

Awesome! Your pic isn't showing though, repost pics of the setup!!

Also... This post is #2100 and almost 200k views! :eek1: :reading: :bdaysmile:

Let me try this again...
IMG_0270.jpg~original

Last edited by a moderator:
Been loking on ebay for awhile and all the brushless unit there was nothing under $600.

See this on ebay:
Model 7523-60 Brushless, for 599. with 2 heads.
Thats appropriate price. But if you wait, you will see lower prices too.
i'd say keep looking give time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cole-Palmer...675515?hash=item25cd734cbb:g:XnMAAOSwImRYfULC

Also keep searching for Watson Marlow Peristaltic pumps too, they can sometimes be cheaper.
I found out while researching that ALL Watson Marlow pumps are brushless :)

Thank you!

The cartridge pump heads work great for AWC.. I've been using a 6 roller 6 cartridge pump ( all the cartridge's are adjustable occlusion fwiw) on two systems without a hitch for about a year.

I thought I needed two but they look to be as sound as the easy load heads so one will be going onto the FS forum soon..

The cartridge pump heads work great for AWC.. I've been using a 6 roller 6 cartridge pump ( all the cartridge's are adjustable occlusion fwiw) on two systems without a hitch for about a year.

I thought I needed two but they look to be as sound as the easy load heads so one will be going onto the FS forum soon..

That was exactly my plan! The use the multiple head cartridge for continuous AWC
From new saltwater to one system to another to the drain...
What tubing are you using?
I read abt the cartridges that I can't use pharm biomed LS17 on them. I'm thinking LS 14 biomed

See this on ebay:
Model 7523-60 Brushless, for 599. with 2 heads.
Thats appropriate price. But if you wait, you will see lower prices too.
i'd say keep looking give time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cole-Palmer...675515?hash=item25cd734cbb:g:XnMAAOSwImRYfULC

Also keep searching for Watson Marlow Peristaltic pumps too, they can sometimes be cheaper.
I found out while researching that ALL Watson Marlow pumps are brushless :)
Yeah. I'm watching on that one. I mostly focus on 7523-60 and 7550-30 but haven't seen any good one with more reasonable price yet.

I've never used a peristaltic pump. Do these run non stop? I was just looking at a video of the Pacific Sun Calcfeeder peristaltic pump and it seems like it only run every 3 or 4 seconds rather than continously like I thought they did. Are the masterflex pumps the same way?

Back