Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

IMHO in 2 weeks? thats a lot of CO2 used. Dont know what, but something is not right. FWIW my regulator is set at 9 psi and a small tank last at least 6 months.

Then I'm guessing you're leaking gas downstream, either at the connection to the hose to the reactor or through the reactor itself. Just leak test as much as you can.

Have you set up your reactor feed pump to push or pull through the reactor?

Then I'm guessing you're leaking gas downstream, either at the connection to the hose to the reactor or through the reactor itself. Just leak test as much as you can.

Have you set up your reactor feed pump to push or pull through the reactor?

Thanks everyone for your help. Right now my feed pump is pushing. I'm going to be setting up a Masterflex peristaltic pump (waiting for some parts) that will be pulling, at least for the start up, probably in the next few days.

Thanks again alemone. I did another leak test, but could not find any. I also checked all the tube connections. Maybe I just did not tighten the nut enough when connecting the regulator to the Co2 after the first leak. Meanwhile I'll see if I can find the Mega Bubble locally. If not I'll just order it from Amazon. Thanks again for your help alemone.

Thanks again alemone. I did another leak test, but could not find any. I also checked all the tube connections. Maybe I just did not tighten the nut enough when connecting the regulator to the Co2 after the first leak. Meanwhile I'll see if I can find the Mega Bubble locally. If not I'll just order it from Amazon. Thanks again for your help alemone.

Yeah, see what happens with the next tank.

OK-- so I have a question -- kind of one you feel you should know the answer to--
When using a peristaltic pump do you still use the pump on the reactor?

OK-- so I have a question -- kind of one you feel you should know the answer to--
When using a peristaltic pump do you still use the pump on the reactor?

Absolutely. The pump on the reactor recirculates the water inside the reactor, promoting the breakdown of the media, whereas the peri pump moves water from the sump, through the reactor and back to the sump.

Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

[MENTION=230996]vitodog[/MENTION] how big is your co2 tank? It has to be leaking either at tank to carbon doser or inside the carbon doser, or the carbon doser gauges fittings. If the carbon doser regulates properly, then it doesn't matter if there is a leak after it on in the reactor cause it's only letting out so little air that it shouldn't deplete in a month, unless you are running at a really high bubble count which I doubt.

Thanks yellowjello, my cylinder is 5 lbs. At the time I noticed my Co2 was empty, my BPM was at 29. I did do A leak test at the junction where the carbon doser is connected to the cylinder, where the gauges are connected and where the Co2 tube is connected. I did not detect any leaks at these points. I connected a refilled cylinder on Tuesday which is when I conducted the tests. I also have been trying to contact Aquarium Plants (Carbon Doser) to see if they could offer some advise but no one picks up the phone or responds to my e-mails. Right now, everything seems ok. Also, I can't rule out that maybe I did not tighten the nut that connects the carbon doser to the cylinder enough the last time I had to. Anyway, thank you for your help and I will continue to monitor my gauges closely.

Just received my Masterflex 7523-60 W/ Easy load 7518-10 head. I have a few questions before I start setting it up.

Do I have to use Masterflex tubing? I know it says it voids the warranty if you don't, but this is used, with no warranty. I'm looking around for prices online, and they're all REALLY long lengths for a LOT of money.

Second, would anyone happen to know what size screws you use to attach the head to the main unit? The person I bought it from didn't include any. I can always take it down to the hardware store and figure it out on my own if necessary, but it's much easier just being able to do a quick order on Amazon Prime.

Just received my Masterflex 7523-60 W/ Easy load 7518-10 head. I have a few questions before I start setting it up.

Do I have to use Masterflex tubing? I know it says it voids the warranty if you don't, but this is used, with no warranty. I'm looking around for prices online, and they're all REALLY long lengths for a LOT of money.

Second, would anyone happen to know what size screws you use to attach the head to the main unit? The person I bought it from didn't include any. I can always take it down to the hardware store and figure it out on my own if necessary, but it's much easier just being able to do a quick order on Amazon Prime.

You don’t need to use the Cole Parmer tubing. There is a link on the post 3 of the first page of this thread for the Pharmed type LS17 equivalent tubing from US Plastics that is sold by the foot. It also includes the parts needed to connect the tubing to 1/4” John Guest style push lock RODI tubing which is very convenient.

Here is the LS17 Pharmed type tubing sold by the foot.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25534

I am pretty certain the screw is 8-32 x 2-1/4” and you will want a stainless socket head type. It would be pretty easy to take the pump and head down to a hardware store like Ace or True Value Hardware and match up a set of stainless screws rather than ordering them online. It would also likely be cheaper since you don’t need to worry about shipping.

You don't need to use the Cole Parmer tubing. There is a link on the first page of this thread for the Pharmed type LS17 equivalent tubing from US Plastics that is sold by the foot.

I am pretty certain the screw is 8-32 x 2-1/4" and you will want a stainless socket head type.

D'oh! I read that part of the thread a month or two back and forgot about it.

Thanks!

Back