Olival's 120G Build

Sorry to hear about the loss of the Blue Tang, Marcos...It was likely beyond your control since the yellow tang seems to be doing fine.

Adding a bigger structure for new fish to hide might help the stress levels in the future. Also, If your QT is in a room with a lot of traffic and movement, you might want to black-out the glass and just view them from the top. I've done this before with vinyl cabinet/shelf liner before and it seems to help.

Thanks Justin, and yes,I will get a bigger structure for that purpose...the QT is actually on the basement in an area with very little to none passage, I've also kept dark for the past days most of the time trying to minimize the stress!

Hi guys,

The Yellow is still doing great, eating and swimming well. it's even start to get used to my presence (as long as I don't stick my hands on the tank).
Algaes are getting nastyer...spreading real fast by the min. The Acropora that I putted in the tank 2 weeks ago bleached and is now getting all covered by the Algae. I think the water is even slightly cloudier than yesterday...
The GFO should arrive today to get this under control, and CUC is scheduled for Friday. Got it from ReefCleaners, if it's of anyone interest...let's see how it goes.

Now that I have my Skimmer on, I wanted to share some picture from "Under the hood"

20130123+025.JPG

refugium and ApexJr on the right
20130123+026.JPG

Mag9.5, DYI ATO with a floath valve directly to the RO/DI line (yet to be improved) and Skimmer
20130123+027.JPG

Hi guys,

The Yellow is still doing great, eating and swimming well. it's even start to get used to my presence (as long as I don't stick my hands on the tank).
Algaes are getting nastyer...spreading real fast by the min. The Acropora that I putted in the tank 2 weeks ago bleached and is now getting all covered by the Algae. I think the water is even slightly cloudier than yesterday...
The GFO should arrive today to get this under control, and CUC is scheduled for Friday. Got it from ReefCleaners, if it's of anyone interest...let's see how it goes.

Now that I have my Skimmer on, I wanted to share some picture from "Under the hood"

20130123+025.JPG

refugium and ApexJr on the right
20130123+026.JPG

Mag9.5, DYI ATO with a floath valve directly to the RO/DI line (yet to be improved) and Skimmer
20130123+027.JPG

What are your calcium and alk levels?

Didn't measure it in a while...will do this weekend.

Got my GFO reactor yesterday with a Maxijet 900. The sump now looks more...busy than in the picture. One comment, this pump, Maxijet, vibrates a lot and I have the impression that is as loud , if not more, as the Mag 9.5...I'm seriously considering making an addition on the plumbing in the way back to the DT to feed the reactor so I can drop the Maxijet. I'm running the Mag9.5 already choked down a bit, should be enough to feed the reactor. Any thoughts here ?
Also, filter socks are dirtier than usual I will have to wash them tonight I think! I'm guessing it's the algae!

Ok, a few updates on my Build.
- Got Chaeto and some new frags from Matt (once again thanks much) they all seems to be going well. I specially liked the Zoas with long eyelashes (no idea what they are) and the Red Monti...it looks awesome under my light!
- Friday got my CUC, even came home during lunch time to put those guys on the tank and went back to the office. I ordered from ReefCleaners.org, got the 120g tall package with Hermits, I got at least 15% if not more livestock than what I paid for. All arrived in good health and I had 0 casualty due to transport. I heard people talking how great those guys are, I guess I can now be included on that group.
I got over 150 snails of diverse variety and some 40+ Crabs, most of them are blue legs but I can see some red and emerald amongst them.

With those guys and the GFO, what was turning to be an algae problem, turned to be a controlled process. My rocks are pristine after 3 days of work and now the snail crew are working on the overflows. The water is looking a bit cloudy and my filter socks took just 2 days to go back Brown dirty again. The powerheads look like have been there for decades due to the brown hue on them. But I'm sure that this is a situation that now is under control.
Did a little basic maintenance during weekend, added the sump light in the control to use the timer, I'm inverting the light times, when the DT lights are on, the sump is off and vice-verse. Also installed a cabinet light to allow me to check the sump without turning the Sump light on! (kind of cosmetic addition here)

Had a chance to run a battery of test and those were the parameters on Sat.
Temp - 79,4
Salinity - 1.024 (working to increase to 1.026)
PH - 8.1
Alk - 10.3
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0 (yeah!!)
Nitrate - 5 (still WIP)
PO4- 0.32 (went down 0.14 since last time I check two weeks ago)

On the QT, I got a 2" PVC elbow for the Yellow, and things are going well. Did a 20% water change, tested parameters and all good...Salinity is down to 1.014, I'm working to get to 1.010.
Got some Brown Algae sheet for him to enjoy something different and he seems to like it! Still swimming and eating well and scared of me!
That's it for now, A very busy week for my tank...and I guess I'm close to be ready to claim my CDP points...Any suggestions on what should I take ?

New update...managed to get rid of the rattling MaxiJet...I've connected the Reactor to the Mag9.5 through a T. Dialed back the ball valve just a little, and still room for more stuff if I need! It's so relieving not having the noise anymore!!! Apparently MaxiJet will rattle if has any back pressure!

Hi guys,
Did a PO4 test today and after a week of GFO running I went down to 0.12. Hopefully will get close to 0 soon!
I've also increased the salinity to 1.026 and tuned up the lights a little, I'm planning to get it to full power on Sunday.
Everything looks good, except that since yesterday my Toadstool is not stretching it's polyps (I think they are polyps right ?) anymore. I moved down on the tank, in case is receiving too much light now but still no reaction. Is that normal ?

Leathers go through a periodic shed and slough off old tissue. Changes can force this. Keep an eye on it and if it doesn't open up again within a few days then start being concerned.

My toadstool is still "closed", can I be worried now?

I have now a green hue on my rocks...I guess is the next Algae wave right?!

I bought a fresh cut green toadstool that has been closed for a week. Still looks firm so I am not worried yet

Leathers go through a periodic shed and slough off old tissue. Changes can force this. Keep an eye on it and if it doesn't open up again within a few days then start being concerned.

Smoothdog you were right! I came home yesterday night and it was wide open with the polyps sprouting out and some old tissue hanging all over it! It's all good and looking healthy now!:celeb2:

Hey Kirk, they are doing great! All opened in the first night! They look awesome on my lights! Thanks again for them !

Hi Guys....another loss....The Yellow tang was found dead today...Wife and Daughter took better than I...but I guess my hide is thicker now...and we all went to the Seascape today to get 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimps....but my wife felt we needed more Fish...so we ended up getting a Watchman Gobby and Royal Gramma as well!! Wife was really awesome and I got home with new guys for the Saltwater Condo and feeling like it was Christmas!!

Also this week I did 20% WC and Added the Hammerheads from MKArt (thanks again Matt) as part of the Coral Donors Program and he also gave some chunks of Green Polyps.

Did a Battery of Tests today and got the guys from Seascape running a test too, just to make sure I'm in good track! I'm happy the results match!

I have now

PH 8,1
Alk 7,3 (that's trending down but in a acceptable level...I guess soon corrective actions will be required)
Ammonia -0
NO2 -0
NO3- 1
PO4 - 0,07

Despite the deaths of the two tangs all is in perfect order!!

Back