Olival's 120G Build

7.3 alk is getting a bit low. I like to stay between 8.0 and 8.5dkh. Your not to far from a danger zone. Reef Builders reef buffer is a quick easy way to start raising it. Weekly water changes will help too but they hurt your pocket book a bit.

all right...the weekend didn't end after I came back from Seascape....I had other events going on before the the end of it.
To start...those who have strong opinion about QT, I'm aware, and I support the practice but I skipped that step this weekend due to other ...say implications...the fish that I took were on Hippo Salinity and being treated with copper 10 days prior to Saturday..so I decided to give a go, as I'm soon traveling for a period and wouldn't have time to QT anything for 4 weeks. I also used this new product from Blue Life called Safety Stop (Part A Part B dip)...I know it's Russian roulette with my Clowns and I'm tense enough about that decision without having others pointing it out to me...so let's skip that and focus on other points!
So, once I got home, I drip acclimated the Skunks in one Bucket and the fishes in another for 2 hours! Putted the skunks on the Tank after temp acclimating them and they were released, went wondering out and started to...well clean stuff!!! they are awesome creature, lots of color and movement to the tank and very bold too...as soon as I stick my hand on the water they go after it..climb on the back of my hand of even in my palm and start to..well clean!!! Really fun creatures!!!
For the fishes I had a little more thrill...after doing the drip acclimation, I prepared the Part A dip and in theory I should put an air stone in the solution and leave it for 30 min...well I didn't have a pump for an air stone so...I used a Maxijet 900...small pump right?!...what the rookie here didn't count is that a fish could be sucked in the grinder due to sheer force...the Goby (is Pink Spotted Watchman BTW) is big..like 4,5 to 5 Inches long...no problem..the Royal Gramma was something else...I threw it in...and I immediately saw it being sucked by the pump...I got so desperate that I tried to pull it by it's tail (I know...nightmare right?!) then I got the wits to pull the power cord from the outlet and the fish went out...I was not sure if dead or alive, but given the recent experience with the Tangs I thought that even if it's not dead yet, will be dead anytime soon...it was just too much stress...after a few min. I saw it flapping the fins and moving a little...and I kept the dipping process anyways...30 min. on part A, 30 min. on Part B and off we go...released them both in the DT and sure enough both went to find a hiding place...the rocks I have are pukani so that's an easy thing to find for them.
In the middle of the night I had to go to that room and I saw the Watchman ...watching....nice this one is in fine!
On Sunday I changed GFO on the reactor (I'm at 0,02 now for PO4) and removed the Skimmer as it was with a thick brown layer of gunk on it's cone (remains from the Brown algae bloom I guess) washed it all cleaned the cup, replaced socks, got a nice cleaning work on the glass and power heads. Finished all that by Lunch time....around 4 Pm, I was having a coffee in front of the aquarium and sure enough a Purple and Yellow blur pops out one of the rocks...swim around and hide back...It's alive...got some mysis threw it on the tank and both of them got out of the hiding place to eat!!! They are eating just fine in the past few days...and Royal Gramma, or Scooby Doo as my daughter calls it, is swimming fine, very well adjusted to us and eating well too. Looking closely ,he didn't got out of that experience unharmed...one of the fins on the belly is missing, part of the tail is kind of ripped off (by my little fingers I suppose) and a bit of the fin on the top where it has a spot..but as I said it's swimming fine and doing his fish things as I think it was supposed to. I will still keep an eye on it and I will officially say that it survived after 2 weeks! I might even call it Highlander!...
On the corals, not too much to comment here...except for the Galaxea I got from Kirk...It seems to be bleaching...I'm not sure yet!
By the way kirk, it came with a green bubble on the frag...what would that be ?
I also broke the Devils armor frag into two, as half of it was Orange BamBams...I have them separated in 2 different piece of rock! (sort of my first fragging experience)
well that's it for now!! One thing I can say about this weekend, say I learned a lot about the hobby's dos and donts!!!!

Glad to hear everything worked out on the fish.As long as theres some fin left,most times it will grow back. I too have put in fish directly from Seascape on account of them treating the fish. I just make sure theyve been in copper for atleast 10 days. The maxijet thing, I wouldnt worry about an air stone while your acclimating fish. The water your dripping into the bucket or w/e is oxygenated already enough coming from for DT.

Glad to hear things worked out with the fish! That green bubble is bubble algae. If I had seen it I would have knocked it off for you. Take the frag out of the tank and pluck it off as it can grow to be a nuisance in some tanks. Don't do it in the tank because if it breaks open it will release spores. If you can move the frag lower in the tank that should help with the bleaching, but that was under some pretty intense light already so I'm not sure what's going on there. Galaxia doesn't require a lot of light though. I thought I got the bambams off that plug with devil's armor, glad to hear you got them separated.

Thanks guys...
Yesterday I woke up with and couldn't find one of the Clowns. It managed to get itself in the the overflow. Took me a great deal of effort to fish it back...I basically drained it to the sump and got him there.
Also cleaned the green bubble algae (Thanks again kirk) from the Galaxea and moved it to a place with less light.
One thing started to bother me though...yesterday me and my wife noticed a very minimal scent of Fishmarket that I never had from my tank before...I think it might be due to the increase of food that I'm placing in the tank since the new guys arrived (About 1/4 of a cub from those Mysis sold in the fishstore in the morning and 1/4 cube of the same size in the night of Bryne)...could there be other causes ? I will run a battery of tests tonight to make sure Ammonia, NO2 and NO3 are in good shape...any other ideas ?

Are you running carbon? The water really shouldn't smell fishy though. The air coming out of the skimmer can get pretty stinky too in a confined space. Some folks use a skimmate chamber with a carbon filter on the breather to get rid of the smell.

Are you running carbon? The water really shouldn't smell fishy though. The air coming out of the skimmer can get pretty stinky too in a confined space. Some folks use a skimmate chamber with a carbon filter on the breather to get rid of the smell.

I second smoothdog here, running carbon never hurts and can get rid of the smell and simply placing a small bag of carbon on the top of the skimmer will take care of that wonderful smell of what is being collected in the skimmer.

I'm not running Carbon but the skimmer still might be the source of it...and again I did 20 % water change this weekend.
On the skimmer I did some fine running on the dial to generate more bubbles and as I said, I dumping more food than before...those two together might be causing the Skimmer to exhale the smell. I will give a try on the carbon bag on top of the skimmer, it's a simple enough task to do.

Hi guys,

back from Europe after 2 weeks away and the tank is still there in great shape...passed the trial by fire heheh!
Had new acquisitions on the Frag Swap. Got a ultra green trachy, a small ricordea frag and a small Blue Crocea. I will post some pics soon!
Did a 20% water change yesterday and all seems to be good!

Hi Guys,

me again, I had lots going on in the saltwater condo, and posting here, sometimes helps to get the ideas in order.

First of all,

Parameters are good except Alk. that was a bit above 7 and PO4 0.13...I've changed 20% water after that measure, dosed Reef Builder and changed GFO....I need to go back and test the water again but all seems to be fine.

Before traveling to EUR I changed my DI resine on the filter for the first time. I think that was one of the contributors for the little algae burst in my tank...I have now 2 types one brown and ugly and one that's purple in color and is more hairy (can I call it hair algae?) see pics below. The purple algae is worse in the sump. I removed manually as much as I could from all of it...but slowly I can see it spreading.

20130312+126.JPG

20130312+128.JPG

20130312+129.JPG

this one the pic is not great but is more to give you an idea!

The good news are that Royal Gramma got his fin back...amazing nature....also, I had a 2 polyps frag of a Zoa that I think is called dragon eye, but I might be wrong....when I got back what was 2 became 8...really good sign, at least for me. My Red Monty that I got from Matt is growing well and I can tell by the amount of folds it got since I got it in the tank (it was flat). I know that for you veterans might be...what's the big deal, I see that all the time, but for me is like miracle happening.

The Clam I got on the Frag Swap is looking great and healthy...I learned a lot about it and I think that's the whole reason I got it in the first place. Nobody ever told me that they had tendrils or appendixes that fix them in the substrate...or that they have to drip acclimate, not dip (a wink here Awais).
the trachy is looking good, I direct fed it once...another awesome experience.
Last weekend I went to Gateway aquatics to get me some new Frags...I got 7 frags (Acropora, Purple polyps, sun coral, leather,a trumpet and two others that I don't knwo the names)and a small bubble coral. I have to admit that 135 dollars later, I'm not supper happy with what I got. I think that I would be better off if I could have reached you guys and asked for what I could get with the same budget. Well...next time I will make sure I do that. I also got from them a Emerald crab...but I didn't see this guy since putted in the tank.

Next purchase I plan to do is geting, finally, a Firefox, that I ordered with Seascape studio and probably 2 more fishes (I will most likely get a Blue tang again and a 6 line wrasse) I will put them all together in the QT and hope all goes well this time.

On top of all that, while I was away, one of the sump pump broke, we had water all over the basement, my wife had to handle that, which included, being ripped off to have a sump pump replaced and being ripped off to get someone removing carpet and part of the drywall of the finished part...so roughly 2000$ later I still have to have the drywall finished, paint and instal new carpet...plus to be safe I will replace the other sump pump...and they don't even go to my aquarium....well...that's it...and just a last point...this is how it looks when you work from Switzerland....

20130312+113.JPG

(the pic is not great but you will see the Alps after the lake Geneva)

regards
Marcos

And today's news is that I got Aiptasia :-( I'm thinking about getting a Peppermint Shrimp to get rid of it...anyone tried that already?

Also below a pic of how the tank is going.

IMG_2915.JPG

Olival's 120G Build

Looks nice.
I tried a peppermint but they ran out of aiptasia and started picking at my corals so he got banished to the sump and eventually traded but catching him sucked!

Sorry to hear about the pump failure Awais =(

If the aptasia isnt all over the place just remove the rock its on and scrape it off with a knife.

The emerald crabs will hide during the day. You will have to look for him at night when hes out and about roaming.

Most blue tangs are very susceptible to getting ich,so be prepared to treat it. Im on my 4th blue tang. Hes been doing good for about 5 months. So far so good.

As far as the algae goes a couple emerald crabs will do wonders. get a couple and toss them into your sump along with a couple turbo snails or such and they should clean up your algae in no time.

Nice view BTW!

Hey Marcos,
Welcome back.
Saw your video, looking good,nice job man.:beer:

What is that green wavy stuff on your glass tank? :spin2:

Did you get rid of your hairy algae?
I did not have any algae boom at all, all I had was diatoms, which is receding fast. I used chaeto and biopellets before the tank fully cycled.. about 6 weeks now and Nitrate and PO4 stays very low, near zero with API test kit.

Went through your posts again and now I know to drip acclimatize clams!:celeb1:

Ill send you a pm. Hope you r making it to the coming PN?

Awais

Hi guys,
I did a quick video to share with the family the progress of the tank, I thought you would be interested to see it's progress too.

http://youtu.be/1Q5J1lWmaCM

Dave this is marcos build, not mine... LOL, he had a pump failure.

Sorry to hear about the pump failure Awais =(

If the aptasia isnt all over the place just remove the rock its on and scrape it off with a knife.

The emerald crabs will hide during the day. You will have to look for him at night when hes out and about roaming.

Most blue tangs are very susceptible to getting ich,so be prepared to treat it. Im on my 4th blue tang. Hes been doing good for about 5 months. So far so good.

As far as the algae goes a couple emerald crabs will do wonders. get a couple and toss them into your sump along with a couple turbo snails or such and they should clean up your algae in no time.

Nice view BTW!

Back