Onyx Black Stripe Fading...

stonecold

Hi all,

I bought a paired of Onyx a few months ago. At the time of purchase, both male and female had the dark black stripes. Recently, the female black stripes has faded and looks almost like a false percula. The male still look the same.

They are hosting a RBTA. They are fed with Rod's, mysis, and brine each day.

What could be the cause of this? Will her color come back?

They were melanistic prior to purchase. Hosts in your tank did not trigger that effect, hence clowns returned to their normal orange, IMO.

Rods / Onyx clowns are know to fade in E.quad, not all but some. I would guess yours went 50/50 on it.

Have any of you experience the same problem? Female doesn't look attractive or worth the price that I had paid for them.

Also, any suggestions on how they can regain their color?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15483760#post15483760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stonecold
Have any of you experience the same problem? Female doesn't look attractive or worth the price that I had paid for them.

Also, any suggestions on how they can regain their color?

My SI pair started losing their black soon after being hosted by my LTA. I am fairly sure that that was the reason, since the female was hosted first, and lost the black first. While the male wasn't being hosted it kept its black, but as soon as it was hosted....

I am going to remove the LTA and move one of my Haddonis into that tank and see what happens.

This is how they looked back in Jan --- before being hosted

SIPerc8.jpg

This was back in April, and you can see the female has lost more. (( don't have any current shots, but it has gotten worse. ))

shot.jpg

BTA and H. magnifica somtime can cause A. percula to loose color. This fact was well documented by various people. They will regain their black coloration if the RBTA remove from the tank.

Back