Options for water storage?

I recently got a 125 and have been mixing 5 gallon buckets of water (2 at a time) for 10 gallon changes (with home made RO/DI). I'd like to make 30-50 gallons at a time but am not sure where to buy a water bucket. I bought a 35 gallon plastic bin at Home Depot and washed it out before storing some RO/DI in it. After a few days the water had a chemically smell so I'm thinking the plastic must be leeching something and decided to not use it. Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand/make of plastic bucket I could buy locally? I'd like to buy 2 so something that isn't piles of cash would also be appreciated. :)

You. An normally pick up food grade containers forfairly cheap on Craigslist. Like a 50 gallon drum for about $15, they are normally used for soda suirup. I have two 35 gallon drums one for RO and one for saltwater.

That is what I did. Two 55G barrels off CL, a pump I had lying around, some 2/3's and plywood, and a few sticks of PVC had water storage, mixing, and delivery covered.
4fo7WxT0958XRseG_EX7P1ngIQWHMZDferX2AAdzbNFmzJN5l-jnG-3YwYRMG7MORYDiP0Pg94svY1zPAFuDUh_O17EbRN39lV-GmYLVdReQe9URL7fhCqRR7qSasBz6m9AprtY7rNGiuFEdtvpd12dv947ky_MzqT-nfqvmobvwmwS36_InLwnJ0rTTKstfEF520olqPVtRrxAHbc_vPl31HNV2r1VUla7HmErRyXh28hIShFKgdMJ-vomE25xaS8ZUQHDWbe5eBuNcyHmXgkTDEsfvF2Ru1joyiFDo41TaLErjB_vmRIQzVH9PWEPwYb9BDtMKWIXMDBkuvhNCeoRxRpCslnlbaUI56GntuZjutjVM03IXiIVc_OTX5CVoAxu_R3x4IkfYbrGmZ9Jw6dObMqxhlEv0CdjGdeSwFJKSKy0ONWVPEPkQ3VhSY4lEDYyQltMBTY7QHcgzrzryvR6ohDiH2BzND5NaGemmiZvI-7cotHRtsRCfIFqlOmDzFUh2jOpTaq53pt-FYP_NjxC9CoSRHPWfWfK8SplbcSM3-T15MO8L7xzNsDIghSqGsm58HJ8J1zonWRxuDLJeoWYCj78g1nUdC2vKcqGTbHYGxQeP7vHHaBNnPX4wdQ5LLvbHhQBJdIKzBCAw4BGbjqlOLHkpNbF_62b8AXtrVQ=w300-h500-no

the bottom open outlet is a drain and the one 1/4 of the way up is the outlet. they have valves and hose connectors on them now. I can fill a bucket or connect a hose and pump water anywhere.

RODI on top, salt on the bottom. various valves select what feeds the pump and where it goes. Not seen is a float valve near the top of the RODI bucket to stop the flow when it is full.

grab 2 BRUTE trash cans from Lowes or HD.
2 maxi jet 1200's
Rinse the Brute cans with HOT vinegar water. Let dry
should be good. I just mounted mine on the pre cut squares of plywood and put cinder blocks under each corner..

If you want some nice poly tanks, make sure you check out Glenn industries in Clearwater. That's where I got my 2 90g from. He even installed the bulkheads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'll have to do some CL digging and see what I can find. I like the stacked setup Safir has, I think I could build something like that in the back corner of my garage.

There is a threats here or on "that other forum" where a lot of people showed their setups.
Of you have the space, a horizontal setup is probably,better, or one with two pumps. I have to "waste" 3-5 gallons of water if I switch from salt to fresh before it comes out 0tds because the piping and pump are shared.

I've been using brute cans for years. I have thrm plumbed from my laundry room to my tank and do continuous automated water changes with my apex DOS. Occasionally I lift a 5 gallon bucket to make sure that I can still do it, but other than that, the set up is incredibly convenient and the best investment that I've made in the hobby.

What did that set you back?
Well, in wife currency it was about $100. [emoji2]
Reality was around $400, and was saving a bit on shipping and bulkheads. Plus, I like supporting local biz as much as I can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

He has cheaper options. I got a 40 gallon barrel with a lid for around $40. I would compare it to a brute but better for water storage. Give him a call.

Back