OT: DirecTV or stick with Comcast

DurTBear

Trying to decide if I should switch to DirecTV since I'm getting very frustrated with Comcast. I just don't really like their service and my cable bill seems to be increasing all the time. Seems like DirecTV would be cheaper even though you get more HD channels. I guess the only reason that I can see for sticking with Comcast is just for ease because my internet is bundled in with my cable. But I guess I could stick with Comcast for their internet service and upgrade to DirecTV.

Does anyone have any experiences/advice with this dilemma? Thanks for any and all comments.

I had Dish Network for 6 years they were good but when I got HD thet only had 18 chanels so I got Direct TV, It cost me $450 to lease there receivers but they had a ton of HD chanels. Eventually everyone will have to have HD so you decide, maybe I should have stayed with dish but I couldn't stand to see most of my TV watching on a blurry screen. Please do research before signing a 2 year lease.

I don't know if this answers your question. Try it basic service for about $15, which gives you up to channel 34, then add on the HD channels for another $15, so you get all the HD channels for $30/month plus the Net portion.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12271347#post12271347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by no1fishman
I don't know if this answers your question. Try it basic service for about $15, which gives you up to channel 34, then add on the HD channels for another $15, so you get all the HD channels for $30/month plus the Net portion.
is that for comcast or direct tv?

So you actually lease the receivers for DirecTV? I thought you in effect bought the receivers when you subscribe to their service?

Well you don't really "lease" them, however they get you with the "You need to sign up for 24 months or they'll ...." type stuff.

Whatever you do, find the best deal you can out there, then talk to whatever company you want and mention those others deals as you can very often get free crap out of it. I had DirecTV complained that all the specials in pricing and the HD receiver was for new members, blah blah... how Dish Network had this deal.... and before I knew it, I got everything for free at the discounted monthly price too.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12271558#post12271558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ganjero
is that for comcast or direct tv?
Comcast. Someone suggested that to me and it makes sense, but not sure it helps in DurTBear's situation.

DO you have Qwest in your area? IF so they have the bundle packages as well. I have phone, long distance, wireless and directv for around 148 a month. Right now they are running a promotion for free equipment upgrade if you get digital xtra or higher I believe. Plus you can get internet bundled with your qwest bill too. I dont only because they didnt have internet in my neighbor hood when we moved and we went with comcast for that, I still havent bundled my internet yet since qwest doesnt have 7 megs here and comcast does.

Comcast. I hear nothing but negativity from Dirtect. Everyone I know that has them hates them, but they like their digital channels, when they work! They claim that they get flashes from time to time. As well their CS sucks.
I am with Dish, and I love it! Although I wish Comcast is someone I have. I have Dish because my phone company has a plan with Dish.

There are problems with DirecTV channesl? I know with Comcast, I sometimes lose sound or the screen goes black and I have to switch channels and come back to fix it. I guess every service has it's pros and cons.

Israelnajar, don't have Qwest in my area to the best of my knowledge. But they sound like Comcast in that you can bundle everything together. I'm currently paying $150 a month for cable and internet which I feel is too high for the amount of channels and quality of service.

Thanks for all the input so far. Any other people with opinions?

I heard at&t is cheaper but I can't get it in my area. My friend has directv and a few months ago (when it was really windy) he lost his signal. He tried playing around with the dish outside but it didn't help. It took a month for a tech to get to his house to fix it.

This is just what I heard from my friends. My only experience is with Comcast and I too am looking to switch.

Oh by the way my Direct TV channels are clearer then I could have imagined, my mother in law has Comcast Digital and there is not a clear signal what so ever and I bought her her TV, they SUCK big time.

AT&T DSL 3Mbps/512kbps plan is (was?) something like $24 a month... no way tv should cost you $125 a month on top of that. Ditch the comcast like the plague man! Unless you have like the "every channel" package sounds like comcast zapped you up in a deal of sorts that they just conveniently don't change (but everyone does it, so can't blame just Comcast). Didn't comcast have their Internet/Phone/Cable deal for $99?

Anyways I love my direcTV, problems with channels? Rarely there are, but you're bound to have issues with others as well, especially as more and more HD is trying to be pushed through lines/satellites that were never designed to push that much data. Just make sure you don't have any big trees or anything blocking your southern view, or no buildings in your way (which if you live in the more crowded areas can be an issue) and you'll be fine.

We have Comcast cheap cable (I think $12), just the local channels. Our TV picks up the HD versions of them all though. A friend who's way more techy than me said it's something to do with the make/model of the HD receiver in the TV that allows it to unscramble blocked signals. Maybe just upgrade your TV before signing any new contracts ;)

One thing I do have to say about Comcast is that they've always been good about service. Our house is a little older and they've came out a couple times, most recently to replace the cable line. They were quick, fixed the problem, and didn't charge us.

Yeah, it's just getting too expensive. I don't even have the premier package...I think I have the digital silver so I get one premium channel. I'm past all the promotional period stuff. And they were offering the triple play bundle for $99 but that was only for new customers. Existing customers had to pay a bit more.

I live in SF close to the ballpark but I believe my balcony faces south and is unobstructed so that should work well. I think I might have to switch...

I'd ditch comcast all together. They will never see a penny from me. They do filter your internet connections and is currently rolling out a new filtering system. That and prices are always going up.

Just put up a TV antennae. You can get local HD channels free. Else get DirectTV. Atleast their prices seems to stay more consistant. And although DSL is not as fast, you can get it cheap now days too.

andy

Don't know about issues with Direct TV but I never had problems with them for over 3 yrs. I'm actually have Direct Tv over right now installing my new 5 LMB dish and new 100HR HD DVR/Reciever and another new HD reciever. NO Cost just stay with them for 24months.

Wow...I think I'm going to go with DirecTV.

Charles, so do you rent the receivers like Comcast? Or do you buy them from DirecTV? And what do you do for internet? Did you buy internet with DirecTV when you first signed up? I'm thinking of just keeping Comcast for now.

Comcast from what I've heard from a lot of people good for internet ( THATs IT )

I don't rent. My previous recievers I bought before, now I got these 2 new ones for free. Just as long as I stay with DT for 2 more years. Nothing out of pocket.

Back