Ot: HD TV's

ppurcell

I've been sitting on the HD TV sidelines for about as long as I can stand it and think I'm going to get one in the next week or so.

I haven't the time or the interest to spend 40 hours researching what is the best performing 50" 1080p TV for under $1,500. But I did find this Samsung (model HLT5087S http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204087675) for about $1,200 which has very good on-line reviews on several different websites.

Anyone know anything about Samsung DLP's? Footprint isn't a huge issue for me; I can live with the 14-16" thickness of a DLP.

Thoughts or suggestions?

The LED engine on the new DLP's are good. I was really close to getting one of these. I ended up going the LCD route right at the last moment, but I ended up spending a little extra. If space is not an issue the DLPs rock. The one main difference between DLP and LCD is the viewing angle.

I have a Samsung 720p plasma model hpt-5064. I love it. It has a great picture when hooked up to HD. Samsung is one of the leaders in DLP and HDTV technologies. If you go with a Samsung, you will not regret it. Also, ordering online seems like a good idea considering no sales tax. Go for it! Good luck.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12269940#post12269940 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ataylo13
The LED engine on the new DLP's are good. I was really close to getting one of these. I ended up going the LCD route right at the last moment, but I ended up spending a little extra. If space is not an issue the DLPs rock. The one main difference between DLP and LCD is the viewing angle.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12269943#post12269943 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SlowCobra
I was shopping today and it looked like the DLP's had a very poor viewing range.

Is Why I avoided DLP like the plague, its brightness doesnt come close to my LCD.

tvviewpo7.jpg

Heres a heads up, this is what I have 3 - 42"hitachi $2200.00 main room, 37" sharp aquos $1300.oo basement, 32" vizio 599. @costco bedroom... Do I need to tell you which TV by far has the best picture ? All connected via HDMI also... So heres my thinking they say you only get like 3000 hours out of these tv's anyway. So if you spend as little as possible you dont mind having to replace it in 5 years .... It has taken me 4500 bucks to figure this out . Go to costco and buy a Vizio you wont be sorry.... IMO

Ps . If you are going from regular TV to HDTV it doesnt matter what tv you get you will be blown away....

I bought a Samsung DLP/LED for my living room and a Samsung LCD for my in-laws this past Christmas. The color on the DLP is absolutely amazing and I don't have any problem with the viewing angle. It sits in the corner of the room and I have seating on each wall. The Samsung LCD is nice, too. The LCD is brighter and a little more expensive per inch. IMO, compared to the DLP, the colors in the LCD look a little washed out. I'm not disappointed with either purchase, though. They both have great pictures.

Not a fan of DLPs, we went with a 46in Samsung LCD...couldn't be happier. I enjoy the bright vibrant picture of LCD's, it's all subjective though ;)

I've been doing HD for 7 years. Last year I upgraded from a 55" to 72" system. The larger the system the better the quality of it needs to be.

All things equal, same specs same manufacturer, smaller will look better, pixels are closer together.

They are getting better but like 2% of the population can see a slight rainbow in DLP based systems. My wife can and it gives her a headache. Have everyone who will regularly watch your system spend a good 15 to 20 minutes watching a DLP based system.

LCD can suffer from Motion Blur. I also recommend watching sports or action movies to see if it bothers you. Drives me nuts. My first HD 1080i 55" TV was a full on projection system with red, green and blue guns. This old TV suffered from neither of those problems. I was not going to go down in quality just to get a smaller foot print LCD and wife could not handle DLP.

So that leaves Plasma or other projection based systems. Plasma costs more and for larger than 50" plasma costs 3 to 4x more and it can burn in easier.

Didn't want front projection so I went with a Sony SXRD based TV Which is their version of a LCoS.

I have been very pleased with my Sony LCD rear projection.

downstairs2.jpg

ppurcell --- where are you going to be pointing yours? Does the room get a lot of light?

Since no one is stepping in here for plasmas I will. my experience on AV forums is that the majority of people there, like me, prefer the picture of plasmas over dlp and lcd. IMO the reason to get an LCD is if you want to do some gaming on it. That said, I have a Wii hooked up to my Panny 50" plasma and it looks great. This is a matter of personal taste though on picture...my advice would be to first go to a high end store (ie not best buy) and look at dlp, lcd, and plasmas next to each other. Once you decide which technology you like best, because there are big differences, then start to figure out what TV you want.

IME experience you cant beat a Panny plasma for the picture, and they arent that expensive relatively. My 50" ran $1500 shipped from New Egg.

You might find this site helpful (its like the RC of audio/visual equipment): www.avsforum.com

To add to mcliffy2's post.

If you can, try to see the TVs you are interested in someone's home. In the showrooms the picture is so turned up it is hard to tell, and I doubt that many have been calibrated.

Phil - Anything under 50'' is not so HD. Most pictures under 50'' you will have a hard time deciding how good the picture is. No this does not come from my own estimate I subscribe to a lot of magazines and remember reading on a test done with different sizes a few months back.

i have the Samsung 5076s and i love it. my thing was i had windows near by and did not want any glare or reflections in my screen, that is why i went DLP not LCD or Plasma. it is definutely designed to be a line of site operation though. what i mean is when you sit in a chair or on the couch, at the same eye level as the TV on the stand, it looks amazing, but stand up and the picture still looks nice but not as good. i actually bought mine at Best Buy for like $1400.00 on sale late last year. if i had it to do again i would have paid $200.00 more and got the 56" instead though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12271594#post12271594 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mojo Jojo
Phil - Anything under 50'' is not so HD. Most pictures under 50'' you will have a hard time deciding how good the picture is. No this does not come from my own estimate I subscribe to a lot of magazines and remember reading on a test done with different sizes a few months back.
..........what kind of magazines joey?

"You might find this site helpful (its like the RC of audio/visual equipment): www.avsforum.com"
Here's another good one. Home theater Spot

"Since no one is stepping in here for plasmas I will."
Other than high-end front projection Plasma can give you the best picture. I just couldn't afford a 60" plasma. Have you seen the Pioneer Elite 60", what a sweet picture it has.

"if I had it to do again I would have paid $200.00 more and got the 56" instead though."
It's funny how the seem to shrink after a few weeks. My 55" seemed huge when it was delivered and then got smaller and smaller. Same thing happened when we got the 70"

Back