OT: need dog diagnosis

i added frontline yesterday so i'll see what happens, oh also, it seems to be most visible (the rashes or wahtever they are) in the morning. I'll see if it continues with the frontline, then i may just go see a vet. But today i havent noticed anything.

My wife was trying to help, not to sell anything or have any personal gain. I was thinking of joining the TBRC but seeing the ignorance of the active people on this board I am very disappointed. Everyone has their opinions but to slam my wife which was just trying to help is just disgusting. Have a great day.:wavehand:

My basset had that.. its Allergies of some sort. are the leisions moist?? smell funny.. its a yeast infection of some kind. I got some free advice from a very knowledgeable vet tech. use vagisil. im not kidding

Causes of allergies:
#1 Fleas (majority)
#2 Food (alot but much less likely)
#3<<5% misc.

Even one flea is enough. I'd eliminate that before changing the diet. If you change diet, you have to change the protein typically (the brand is not the problem). If you have salmon, try beef or chicken.

I would personally take the dog to the vet and check for mange like someone suggested and eliminate the fleas with a capstar pill (from the vet also).

Causes of allergies:
#1 Fleas (majority)
#2 Food (alot but much less likely)
#3<<5% misc.

Even one flea is enough. I'd eliminate that before changing the diet. If you change diet, you have to change the protein typically (the brand is not the problem). If you have salmon, try beef or chicken.

I would personally take the dog to the vet and check for mange like someone suggested and eliminate the fleas with a capstar pill (from the vet also).

do you think it would be unsafe to wait a little and see if the frontline works and if it doesnt switching the food, then if it continues, go to a vet? Of course, if it gets really bad, i'll take him asap.

How are his ears?? are they dirty?? infected??
Nope, he's got big huge ears that stick straight up. I check them frequently (for ticks mainly) and i clean them when they get dirty.

To everyone else:

I appreciate everybody's help and their wives and husbands help. Lets keep it friendly and not take these forums too seriously. :)

thanks again,
Gimplar

My wife was trying to help, not to sell anything or have any personal gain. I was thinking of joining the TBRC but seeing the ignorance of the active people on this board I am very disappointed. Everyone has their opinions but to slam my wife which was just trying to help is just disgusting. Have a great day.:wavehand:

That was not a very nice thing to say. This is an open forum for not just the TBRC but all of the people in the Tampa Bay area and surrounding counties. This thread also had people from out of state comment as well. I don't think that anybody intended on "slamming" anybody. They were just trying to help Nelson and as usual opinions get carried away..usually it is over lfs...
I think if you attended a club meeting you might think differently. Bring your wife and attend this Saturday in Nokomis.

Joe,nice hearing from you. How is everything?

Has anything else in the house changed recently? My dog started getting hot spots just like that when we got new carpet. we had to make sure we kept a blanket down for her to lay on until we had cleaned the carpet a few times.

Also, if you haven't changed the food you are feeding and the dog has been on it for a while, I doubt it is a food problem, although it could be if they changed the ingredients recently. Good luck with this.

The fact that Most vets push Science Diet shows that most of them know nothing about pet nutrition. The study of Vet Medicine is different from the study of animal nutrition. Most 8 year vet courses only have 1 or 2 classes on pet nutrition. As already mentioned by others, the vets are paid to sell Science Diet. It still amazes me that a vet with 8 years of schooling thinks that chicken by-products are nutritional to animals. Just because someone has a degree dosen't mean they can do the job.

I still stand behind the food. That is the cheapest (even at $50 a bag) way to find out if your dog is allergic to the food.

I hope you know that many low allergen foods are often not formulated for prolonged use and can cause nutritional defects. You are also treating/testing without even seeing the problem. This is where a little knowledge can be very dangerous.

Dont like science diet if you like but at least provide information based on facts and testing, not a biased website with almost no information other then a one-sided critical interpretation of the ingredients by the editor.

And the others pointing out "it could be what my dog had" well, we will just have to wait and see what the Dr. says.

Well that is if Gimplar intends to take him to the vet.

The quality of the information in this thread would not be tolerated if it were regarding our reefs but seems to be well enough for a dog...

BTW a vet could do alot for you:

Test/treat to find out what this issue is and take care of it, as apposed to guessing and hoping. A picture over the internet cannot replace this.

Start you on proper flea control and heartworm prevention which it appears you were not on until the recent frontline. A proper shampoo needs to be used with frontline and whatever treatment the Dr decides.

Point you to a quality food, if there are brands you want to avoid they will be able to help still. Allergy foods should be taken seriously and they can even prescribe foods you would otherwise not have access too.

do you think it would be unsafe to wait a little and see if the frontline works and if it doesnt switching the food, then if it continues, go to a vet? Of course, if it gets really bad, i'll take him asap.

I'd let the frontline do its thing. The fact that the spots appear to be worse in the morning makes me think its a pest problem and they are more active at night. Rule out fleas then consider mange. I seriously doubt its the food. If the dog wears a flea collar I'd throw that away too. They contain some definite irritants I wouldn't recommend on anyone. GL

UNLESS a vet owns their own practice they are to push whatever the office sells, and MOST offices you walk into sell science diet(PROVEN CRAP FOOD) and IVD foods. When asked opinions on what to feed a clients dogs will in MOST cases push science diet.

Do you really think vets would risk their reputations on the marginal supplemental income they receive from selling products in house (like science diet) if they didn't believe in them? Do you think foodstores don't have an agenda to push their overpriced "old roy" chow? Science diet worked on my old schnauzer to remove her bladder stones and kept her healthy for 15 years...I'd hardly call that "crappy."

Anyone that thinks that Science Diet is a good food is way off base. Can a dog live on it? Sure. We have been giving our pets poor food for decades. That doesn't mean that there are not considerably better alternatives. The primary ingredient in Science Diet is corn. Corn is not exactly what I would call a good food for a carnivore. And let's not forget the chicken-byproducts meal. Nothing like ground up beaks and feet to fill those nutritional needs. And no, "old roy" chow and others like it are no better. If you can find the food at Wal-mart etc, it probably isn't a high-grade pet food.
I know that millions of people have raised dogs on Science Diet, Iams, Purina, Old Roy, etc. Just because it works doesn't mean that it can not be improved upon.
The post somewhere earlier in the thread sums it up nicely. Vets study for years to learn about animal medicine, but very, very little of the study is devoted to animal nutrition.

Billy yes I do think a Vet would, Why because I asked first hand and not as a customer. They are to sell whatever the office offers before anything else, even if it would be Ol roy. lol i dont think science diet is the worst out there by any means but is it a healthy all around good food for an animal, absolutly not. just look at the ingredience. they dont lie man.

Hey everyone,

heres an update. Oh and to Billy, he doesnt wear a flea collar.

But the past few days he seemed to be doing fine, but this evening when i came home, i noticed it was back again. but this time, it's on his front upper legs and it's small to large raised spots on the skin like disc shaped and the center feels concave. Kinda like a blood cell. I thought ring worm, but i doubt that could be it.

Anyways, i think im going to make an appointment for the doctors on monday. (I have a wedding to go to tomorrow)

the only place i've ever taken him to was ACT (Animal coalition of Tampa) and was for his annual shots/vaccines and when i got him neutered.

I asked this a long time ago, but i cant find the thread. Could you guys recommend a few different vet places around New tampa? I live on Livingston (by Bruce B downs) and Bearss ave.

thank you all So much, even the criticisms. You all are right, theres no replacement for a vet.

Edit: His behavior hasnt changed at all. He seems happy and normal.

Last edited:
Has anything else in the house changed recently? My dog started getting hot spots just like that when we got new carpet. we had to make sure we kept a blanket down for her to lay on until we had cleaned the carpet a few times.

Also, if you haven't changed the food you are feeding and the dog has been on it for a while, I doubt it is a food problem, although it could be if they changed the ingredients recently. Good luck with this.

sorry i didnt see this til just now. But nothing has changed recently, the most recent thing was that i moved from a house to an apartment at the beginnning of August, which was a while ago and hte symptoms have been showing for about 2 weeks.

Dr Anne Lampru at http://animalalternatives.org/
They are located at Florida Ave and Bearss. My family has been using her for 20 years. She uses both traditional medicine as well as homeopathic options when appropriate. Make sure to see Dr. Lampru and not Dr. Register (she's newer and I don't know her well enough to recommend).

Lee

Back