Our Hobby could be in danger again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14755454#post14755454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dwestUSF
select few aqua-cultured fish

Actually, the wording of the bill is nebulous enough that aquacultured stock would likely be effected as well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14753393#post14753393 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chantweaver
Check your regulations. There are saltwater species that are restricted in the State of Florida.

Prohibited nonnative marine species
Mitten crabs (genus Eriocheir, all species)
Sea snakes (Family Hydrophiidae, all species), except that sea snakes may be possessed as described in 68-5.001 (5)
Weeverfishes (Family Trachinidae, all species).
Stone fishes (Genus Synanceia, all species).

Chinese Mitten crabs are restricted on the freshwater list for Florida as well as the entire US.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14755454#post14755454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dwestUSF
This is just the tip of the iceberg.
If you have ever been diving on the east coast of Florida you will see the beginning of the end of Saltwaterfish in Florida and possibly the US. There are schools of Purple & Yellow Tangs, huge adult emperors and of course these guys:

This fish was caught in S. Florida. This guy is 20" which is huge for this species.

atlantic_maculosus630.jpg

Or even worst

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,403361,00.html

I was basically shunned from this forum yesterday when I stated my opinion about stores and hobbyists being irresponsible and everyone treated me like I was just being a troll but if stores continue to turn there heads and not regulate who buys what from there store and if they can keep a fish long term this problem will continue to escalate and we will be forced to pay whatever the market demands for a select few aqua-cultured fish.

What Happened to personal responsibility. I don't know about anyone else, but if I walk into a store and see something I want, I will buy it. It's not the stores responsibility to make sure I have adaquete homing for it, it's my responsibility. That's the problem with society these days. No one wants to be told what to do, but want to blame everyone else for their mistakes.

I don't sell Redtail Catfish in the shop, because they grow to 6' and most people can not house them, however if I did sell them, it's not my job to give them a hand out on each fish. Anytime some one buys a life (Dog, Cat, Fish, Bird, etc...) they should know how to and be able to properly care for them in the present and future.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14756683#post14756683 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by N-E CICHLIDS
What Happened to personal responsibility. I don't know about anyone else, but if I walk into a store and see something I want, I will buy it. It's not the stores responsibility to make sure I have adaquete homing for it, it's my responsibility. That's the problem with society these days. No one wants to be told what to do, but want to blame everyone else for their mistakes.

So I am guessing you're one of the stores who doesn't care where there livestock ends up? If a dog or cat breeder can screen prospective buyers and still sell there animals why can't fish stores?
If you take out the livestock aspect out of it then whatever happened to plain old good customer service? Any business that sells a product that has special instruction or needs generally makes sure that the customer is fully aware of those needs instead of just feeding them a line a BS just to close the deal. In the case of this industry, this doesn't happen all to often because the majority of the consumers don't care and only want something because they think its cool or pretty but are not equipped to care for it properly and most stores don't really know either and just bring in the fish, coral, etc. to meet demand with full knowledge the animal is surely doomed. I promise you if there were warranties on these animals the industry would be completely different.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14756962#post14756962 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dwestUSF
So I am guessing you're one of the stores who doesn't care where there livestock ends up? If a dog or cat breeder can screen prospective buyers and still sell there animals why can't fish stores?

What part of I do not sell Redtail Cats in my shop, because most people can not house them properly did you not understand?

Now your comparing apples to oranges. In the many years of being in the pet industry, I can count on one hand the breeders who screen buyers and guess what, they are not in bussiness.

When you have a $6,000 rent, power bill, water bill, employees whos families depend on their pay check to live, insurance, etc... You bring product in and sell it. I will help anyone out and give them info based on my experiences, but it is ultimately the buyers descion.

I bet you are one of those guys who gets a speeding ticket and tells the judge, it wasn't your fault that the car manufacturer built the car to go that fast..

If the pet shops followed your advice, they would go out of bussiness and you wouldn't have to worry about the new bill banning fish, because there would be no pets shops to distribute them to the public.

Just remember:

No pet shops, No Wholesalers
No Wholsalers, No Importers
No Importers, No Exporter

Bottom line is No Pet shop, No Hobby

Personally, I would think that it would be better for the store to WAIT for a request from an individual that could handle the responsibility for a species like that before it is made available for sale. A good LFS owner/employee knows their clients and their systems.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14757238#post14757238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GrouperGenius
Personally, I would think that it would be better for the store to WAIT for a request from an individual that could handle the responsibility for a species like that before it is made available for sale. A good LFS owner/employee knows their clients and their systems.

I agree 100%, which is why we as a shop do not carry Certain Species. I can not speak for every shop though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14756962#post14756962 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dwestUSF
If you take out the livestock aspect out of it then whatever happened to plain old good customer service? Any business that sells a product that has special instruction or needs generally makes sure that the customer is fully aware of those needs instead of just feeding them a line a BS just to close the deal. In the case of this industry, this doesn't happen all to often because the majority of the consumers don't care and only want something because they think its cool or pretty but are not equipped to care for it properly and most stores don't really know either and just bring in the fish, coral, etc. to meet demand with full knowledge the animal is surely doomed. I promise you if there were warranties on these animals the industry would be completely different.
why is it you seem to always be starting conflict and telling everyone else how things should be done, and that its only the sellers responsibility. i dont know where you get your facts or your customer service background, or lack their of.but you seem to be making enemies fast on this forum. your not the expert that you think you are.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14757404#post14757404 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by barfish
why is it you seem to always be starting conflict and telling everyone else how things should be done, and that its only the sellers responsibility. i dont know where you get your facts or your customer service background, or lack their of.but you seem to be making enemies fast on this forum. your not the expert that you think you are.

Its just sad that a person who actually believes in being responsible with his animals is "making enemies" on a forum that supposedly believes in the same principles.

NE Cichlid: Do you sell any venomous fish in your store? If so do you tell the customers before they buy one? I imagine you do because if you didn't and something happened they could sue your pants off. I don't see why it would any different to tell them that they are not properly educated or prepared to care for another fish even if its not physically harmful to them, oh wait it doesn't effect your pocket book if the fish dies.:rolleye1:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14758138#post14758138 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dwestUSF
Its just sad that a person who actually believes in being responsible with his animals is "making enemies" on a forum that supposedly believes in the same principles.

NE Cichlid: Do you sell any venomous fish in your store? If so do you tell the customers before they buy one? I imagine you do because if you didn't and something happened they could sue your pants off. I don't see why it would any different to tell them that they are not properly educated or prepared to care for another fish even if its not physically harmful to them, oh wait it doesn't effect your pocket book if the fish dies.:rolleye1:

Yes I do. I have Lionfish, Rabbitfish, Foxface, etc... Every tank that has a venomous fish in it is marked clearly, not only to let the public know, but to let my employees know. I keep all venomous fish on the second or top row, so that kids do not have a chance to touch them. I also have signs posted that let customers know not to put their hands in the tanks as some of the fish are venomous. I have 3 forms of protection to keep the customers from "sueing our pants off".

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14758229#post14758229 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by N-E CICHLIDS
Yes I do. I have Lionfish, Rabbitfish, Foxface, etc... Every tank that has a venomous fish in it is marked clearly, not only to let the public know, but to let my employees know. I keep all venomous fish on the second or top row, so that kids do not have a chance to touch them. I also have signs posted that let customers know not to put their hands in the tanks as some of the fish are venomous. I have 3 forms of protection to keep the customers from "sueing our pants off".

You didn't answer my main question and that was why you can't do this same due dilligence with the rest of the fish you sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back