phoenix 14k no longer made.

The fixtures and bulbs we buy are not intended for anything but aquaria and horticulture. The 3500-6500 k bulbs are used on structures.

A large building spotlit with that familiar glow used to be on the home page of radium.de. You can now find discharge lamps 11th out of 13th in their product list. Their primary use at one point was for large, outdoor illumination. Aquarium owners just put them above their tanks. Radiums have no problems moving off the shelf and hopefully we order enough of them for production to make sense. We are still second on the description of the bulb "Notes: AquaStar/ light colour blue i.a. for dramatic illumination or aquarium lighting".

Many of the hobby specific diy halide components have been discontinued. Of course there will always be halides, that wasn't my point. They might not have the specific ones you currently use. Maybe they will have a better one. Who knows.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. From the link: "Sadly, Phoenix bulbs are out of production, so they're not returning."

So with that said, what's comprable to the 10K Phoenix?

When I ran MH I used XM10K on electronic ballast. I liked them with actinic supplementation. Without actinic they were kind of harsh.

Hmmmm, very surprising being that the Phoenix 14k is probably the most popular double ended bulb out there. Well, I'll be placing an order to stock up for sure.

Hmmmm, very surprising being that the Phoenix 14k is probably the most popular double ended bulb out there. Well, I'll be placing an order to stock up for sure.
Let me know how you make out. I've been looking for a while. Everywhere I've look they have been out of stock on the 250W.

Let's hope sooner than later.
I just replaced some quite old Phoenix 14K with Ushio 14K, and I know they are still new and need a little burn in, but they are no where near the same color as the Phoenix.

Because of the bad reviews from the 14k Ushio, I went with the 10K Ushio. It has taken me a while to not have the blue color, but my fish and corals look great. Plus when taking pictures everything looks normal not super blue. The biggest change was the PAR levels, the 10K Ushio is 25% higher than the 14K Phoenix ever was. Lucky I have a dimmable ballast.

I've been trying to figure this out for a while with no success. When I looked at the Hexarc 175w bulbs some time ago, they were listed as a 150w internal, and the suppliers suggested an HQI, Pulse start or electronic ballast to drive them. Does anyone know if driving the 175w mogul on an M81 ballast is appropriate, because it seems as though that's what being suggested, at least to me. I know that you can drive most any 175w bulb on the m81, but it runs them off spec.

The ANSI number you are looking for is M152. M81 will probably work, I am not sure if the lamps will last as long

Okay, so that's what I was getting at, the bulbs were listed as a 150 internal bulb which made me think it was an m81 spec bulb.

Back