pictures of my GBTA! is it healthy?

romsoccer12

a rare thing happened today, my nem leaned to the left so i could get some awesome pictures. please tell me if its healthy looking. also i have a question. i really want it to split because my friend really wants a nem and itd be cool to get 2. my question is, is feeding it everyday bad? can it over eat?
img1724tej.jpg

here you can see my one armed scissor for all you dropkick murphey fans
img1728.jpg

Over feeding is a BAD thing. The food does not get a chance to digest and rots in the anemone. What I found cause mine to split was doing a large water change. Don't know why but for some reason it worked twice for me.

is twice everyweek fine? and are they not smart enough to realize they are overeating and are going to die? ive fed him everyday for 3 days and i hope nothing bad happens to him.

that is a good website. ive always wanted a sugar glider. but she says that if an anemone isnt hungry it wont eat it and spit it out. ill try looking it up some more though

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15418800#post15418800 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by romsoccer12
that is a good website. ive always wanted a sugar glider. but she says that if an anemone isnt hungry it wont eat it and spit it out. ill try looking it up some more though

Use a fresh scalpel and cut it right down the middle.

Do more research on human separating.

What causes an anenome to split is stress. Hence the large WC's, however I don't know how many it would take to induce large enough stress to cause it to split.

Why doesn't he buy his own? I wouldn't go through all this trouble unless the 'nem is too big for your tank or taking up too much room, where you would WANT to split it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15418800#post15418800 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by romsoccer12
.....but she says that if an anemone isn't hungry it wont eat it and spit it out. ill try looking it up some more though
Not quite correct, in fact the worst case is the anemone shrinking down overnight and expelling its gut unknown to the reef keeper, only to have the reef keeper feed it a large meal again each and every day to repeat the situation in an endless loop of polluting the tank.

Feeing daily is fine, but feed quickly digestible meals, in small enough portion(less then 1cmx1cm), keep up with water changes, have enough scavengers, etc.

fwiw: even heavy feeding does not always trigger division, although it tends to trigger growth.

i really dont want it to split by stress or me doing in manually just by it being healthy and happy. i just feed it pieces of krill that are about half an inch. i think im gonna change it to twice a week now instead of everyday. i would mind if my anemone got huge so thats also why im feeding it a lot. why would somone by an anemone when there friend will give them a free one?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15419633#post15419633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by romsoccer12
would somone by an anemone when there friend will give them a free one?

Because you have no idea when yours will split, if at all.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15422218#post15422218 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by romsoccer12
its pretty big already, i hope it splits in the next couple months. how big can a bta get before splitting?

Depends on the conditions. Some may never split, naturally. They only usually split when they are severely stressed. They do this to continue the evolution.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15422218#post15422218 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by romsoccer12
how big can a bta get before splitting?
A few of the ones in my gallery easily span 15" across the oral disk(no including tentacle length) before dividing. There have been pictures of some on RC that near 20".

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15422434#post15422434 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iFisch
Depends on the conditions. Some may never split, naturally. They only usually split when they are severely stressed. They do this to continue the evolution.

That is not the only reason that BTAs split. They can/will also split when they are fully healthy and have the extra "energy" to split. (( they also can spawn in that condition ))

The last BTA that I kept was about 15" across and would split every 2-3 months, and trust me it wasn't severely stressed. It also spawned a few times before I sold it --- getting too big and taking up too much SPS real estate.

Mine (rbta) recently split, due to me doing some rearranging of the rockwork and flow changes. It wandered around for two weeks, then split and the two have settled down in the center of the tank. I have to say though, my clown is confused. She can't decide which anemone to hang out in. :lol:

20" in my 29gal would probably be a little to big. im trying to get it to split based on the "extra energy" theory as tod said. if it gets to 16-20" i would probably sell it. how much would a 16-20" gbta sell for just for future reference?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15423809#post15423809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
That is not the only reason that BTAs split. They can/will also split when they are fully healthy and have the extra "energy" to split. (( they also can spawn in that condition ))

The last BTA that I kept was about 15" across and would split every 2-3 months, and trust me it wasn't severely stressed. It also spawned a few times before I sold it --- getting too big and taking up too much SPS real estate.

Correct. I think it's been well discussed here that BTA split for two reasons : lots of stress or fully healthy - expending "extra energy". :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15424172#post15424172 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by romsoccer12
20" in my 29gal would probably be a little to big. im trying to get it to split based on the "extra energy" theory as tod said. if it gets to 16-20" i would probably sell it. how much would a 16-20" gbta sell for just for future reference?

A 16" 'nem just might kill everything in your tank that small as well. If you spook it, and it moves, consider all corals decimated.

It would be best not to let it get this big.

Back