Pix & ID: Critters that come in your rocks: the good and the bad.

You're welcome, Hogfan.

Wow! I just found out what at least a half a dozen things are in my tank that I just couldn't get a pic of. Thanks!

Glad to hear it! I think it's time well spent to look through the thread, answers a lot of questions before they get asked!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear it! I think it's time well spent to look through the thread, answers a lot of questions before they get asked!

I thought you were talking to me. LOL. I was like hmmm yeah that is true I did do that but I don't remember saying it. geez, I need to eat. I am getting dumb (just saw the name Kimberly). Yes the first thing I did on this entire site was read this whole thread. I recommend making it so you view 40 posts in one thread, it is an option in the control panel. The thread is still soooo long but it makes it easier. I bookmarked the thread and read every word in a few days. Best thread on RC imo.

Yesterday we bought a Maxi/Mini Nem attached to this rock. Got her off and chucked the rock onto our rock/holding tank.

When hubby was looking in the tank for a rubble piece, he found these lot on that rock. They are about the size of pencil erasers. Normally when we get Aptasia its of the glass or long stringy red type. So if this is Aptasia its a new one for us.

So are they Aptasia or Majano or baby rock Nems? Just want to make sure before we do anything with em.

Ooh, those look nasty. The tips aren't bubbled enough for majano, and they don't look like any maxi/mini I've seen (I've never seen babies, though). They do look like a nuisance nem. Lots of varieties of nems, even within the aiptasia group. I have seen aiptasia with bands on the tentacles like that before. Do they resemble your maxi/mini at all?

I have never seen a baby M&M..and no..not really looking like our maxi. These remind me of rock flower nems tho. Like I said, we only seem to get the glass type Aptasia which is why we are hummin n hawing on these. Might shove em in a wee beta tank and see what happens..lol

Feed them in their own tank & see how fast they grow & spread. I fed my first aiptasias back in 2000. They got big, dark brown, and took over my 3 gallon pico!

I have these. Are they good bad? Is it a good sign if they're thriving in the tank? I think they are reproducing. I'm a newbie. xD

Attachments

• wormies.jpg
    wormies.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 0
my (phone) camera sucks. I went and blew them out of the rock and saw a big one, (around an inch, or smaller) right next to the glass, clearly seeing the bristles. I'm thinking this will be a great picture. Nope, lame camera phone, all I have to take pictures right now. :hmm4:

Attachments

• wormiedoo.jpg
    wormiedoo.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
Just set up a new tank and was curious what this little hitch hiker was on a piece of live rock. Tank was setup only a few days ago and live rock was added to help cycle. It only comes out in darkness, has clear short tentacles, and to a certain degree appears to resemble a cross between a feeding hard coral and an anemone. So as soon as the lights turn on, it slowly retracts into the rock. After 5 minutes you can't even tell there was anything there. Definitely not Aptasia

Sorry for the pic, taken on my phone. It is right in the center with its clear short tentacles hanging out.

Attachments

• IMAG0329.jpg
    IMAG0329.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
looks like a bristle worm to me. don't touch it with bare hands as it can irritate your skin. some people don't like them just based on appearance, but others like them helping consume left over fish food, detrius.

Carlos, as agetr said, sounds like a bristleworm.

Shia, looks like some kind of coral. Maybe a hidden cup coral or a baby LPS of some kind.

I recently purchased a large zoanthid colony at Petco. Very beautiful! In amongst the zoas is this mussel.

I saw the shell at the store, didn't realize it was alive...

(the whole shebang for less than $30.00)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367921795363.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367921795363.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1
Very cool! Used to get bivalves all the time back when frags came on rocks. I currently have 3 small bivalves in the 55, 2 are still on their rock frags, the other's on a piece of live...must've been deep inside the rock when they cleared all the growth off.

Shia, looks like some kind of coral. Maybe a hidden cup coral or a baby LPS of some kind.

You were spot on. I think they were just acclimating to my tank, lights are on and the tentacles are just swaying in the current :)

Also discovered a small feather duster, really lucked out with this piece of live rock.

The little white "commas" all over my glass and rocks are pods right? I dont think they are snail eggs, although I believe I have some of those two...Ill try to get a pic posted.

Okay, thanks.

I have another one for you guys to try and guess. lol

There is these tiny white stick looking things growing on my rock. Some are branching out. It looking pretty cool. They're really small so I couldn't get a picture with my phone.

Does this sound like anything you guys know? If so, good or bad?

Tiny branch-like looking sticks?

Thanks. :]

Sounds like foraminiferans, harmless.

If you click on my name, you can go to my album that has some pics or my homepage that has a lot of pics & see what you recognize.

Back