Pix & ID: Critters that come in your rocks: the good and the bad.

A stomatella- a fine addition to your clean-up crew. Essentially, they're snails with tiny little "half" shells. They can move surprisingly fast.

I have 3 of these that I have found so far. Basically clear with black banding, looks a lot like a super small brittle star kinda. Very long arms protruding from rock
1c5783ba58c6d2b6ddf637c2e9cfe77f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coming out of live rock

Coming out of live rock

Could anyone help with an identification of those translucent "˜stalks'? Cycling new tank, growing from the live rock. Makes an appearance with the lights, recedes when they're off. I only noticed it in the rock today. Found it on a few rocks, more or less on all sides.

Attachments

• BCB33903-29DF-40E8-82D8-2D1E5B33B8C2.jpg
    BCB33903-29DF-40E8-82D8-2D1E5B33B8C2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 4
Could anyone help with an identification of those translucent ‘stalks’? Cycling new tank, growing from the live rock. Makes an appearance with the lights, recedes when they’re off. I only noticed it in the rock today. Found it on a few rocks, more or less on all sides.

Those look like the tubes that house hydroids. Do you ever see feathery heads sticking out of the tubes?

Kevin

Thanks for the help on those tubes coming from the rock. Any thoughts on this guy now? Thanks.

Attachments

• 617D3A60-4FD0-46AB-9287-ECD55AAE2AF1.jpg
    617D3A60-4FD0-46AB-9287-ECD55AAE2AF1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the help on those tubes coming from the rock. Any thoughts on this guy now? Thanks.

Well, they're polyps. If they don't have a skeleton beneath them, then they may be zoanthids, but are probably palythoa. Palythoa can release palytoxin, which can be harmful to humans, so research palythoa and be careful if/when you handle them.

Kevin

Hello folks, so am new to the hobby and have had my tank set up for round 3 months now and 255LT (70~ Gallon) everything is going well expect now I have tiny little white guys (photo 1) populating the glass of the tank and what I think maybe Aiptasia(photo 2 and 3) just wondering if I can get an ID of them.

Please if this is posted in the wrong place let me know and oi can move or look for the right forum thank you

Photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg

I'd try to rid the Aiptasia, I've had success with Peppermint Shrimp (make sure they're real Peppermint Shrimp) there are shrimp that look very similar but won't touch the Aiptasia. Do a little research, you'll find many ways to eradicate them, some work well, some do not.
Take care, & enjoy

Well that depends. Blue crabs are fun to feed. If you like your fish though they can be problematic yes. If not, you should be fine. Just be aware they bury in the sand, cause rock slides and can get quite large. Your local fishing regulations may limit the size you can collect (usually a 4” minimum carapace) 😁

Back