Pix & ID: Critters that come in your rocks: the good and the bad.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS OF MANY.

Get rid of it now. Trust me. This is why...and I had less than you...

Take the rock it is on out of the tank and kill the algae with peroxide and get every single strand. Mine started with 1 strand on a frag I thought was 'pretty'. Do not try to remove it while it is in the tank or it will spread. See above^. If it ever does get as bad as mine did or even worse, do not fret. I have been bryopsis free for a long time now. There are a few solutions.

Oh this sucks. That rock has corals growing on it.

You are going to have to double check around.....but I think that will be alright. Probably a toothbrush, some 3% peroxide, and then a bucket a saltwater to rinse the dead algae off. If you can just get around the corals. If they are connected to your other rockwork....ehhhh......I guess if it were me I would have to gauge how much I cared about that coral. You could always start the Kent Magnesium regiment now. Do a search on it here. I would take the rock out if you can...but if it is a big problem then the Kent M would work fine too....just would take a lot longer and since it is such a small amount..... Also getting things to eat it is hit or miss. I bought everything. I tried a foxface, urchins, snails, etc etc. I 'think' the urchins did something and maybe the foxface once the Kent M weakened it, but not really before. Do not bother even trying to figure out if it is your water chemistry. I mean sure it is good to know, but it will grow regardless of what it is in my experience.

You are going to have to double check around.....but I think that will be alright. Probably a toothbrush, some 3% peroxide, and then a bucket a saltwater to rinse the dead algae off. If you can just get around the corals. If they are connected to your other rockwork....ehhhh......I guess if it were me I would have to gauge how much I cared about that coral. You could always start the Kent Magnesium regiment now. Do a search on it here. I would take the rock out if you can...but if it is a big problem then the Kent M would work fine too....just would take a lot longer and since it is such a small amount..... Also getting things to eat it is hit or miss. I bought everything. I tried a foxface, urchins, snails, etc etc. I 'think' the urchins did something and maybe the foxface once the Kent M weakened it, but not really before. Do not bother even trying to figure out if it is your water chemistry. I mean sure it is good to know, but it will grow regardless of what it is in my experience.

Its not near any of the coral so I should be good with a little spot cleaning with a toothbrush. Thanks.

i completely blacked my tank out for 3 weeks, no food absolutely no light, after raising my mag through the roof. uncovered the tank to find the briopsis had completely covered everything, glass, snails, coral....it was even growing on top of itsef on the top of te water....filled my tank with peroxide, bleached everything, started over in a new tank withall new water, and you wanna guess what is growing back......get rid of it now

i completely blacked my tank out for 3 weeks, no food absolutely no light, after raising my mag through the roof. uncovered the tank to find the briopsis had completely covered everything, glass, snails, coral....it was even growing on top of itsef on the top of te water....filled my tank with peroxide, bleached everything, started over in a new tank withall new water, and you wanna guess what is growing back......get rid of it now

curious, did you use kent? It is some trace element only in kent, not actually the magnesium. But otherwise, +1

i should own stock in kent i used so much lol. i swear i have the most mutant strain. i even moved 10 miles away and was hoping maybe it was something getting past my rodi, or coming in airborne from the crick i lived so close to, as i had virtually the same thing happen to my cichlid tank a few years ago. pull that rock and nuke it. better yet bury it in the woods

aiptasia (yes/no?)

aiptasia (yes/no?)

Hi all,
I bought one small piece of Live Rock from LFS to start cycling. I noticed a couple of things on it once I turned on the light. This is the only one I could get a photo of. Is it aiptasia?
attachment.php

Gregburb, your post didn't show up at all, you must be new. The spam filter blocks posts by new people that add attachments. Usually, I can post on the link in the email I get for this thread, but this time it said invalid attachment. Can you describe the critter here? Also, you can look through the thread or my Album or even my Homepage & see if you can find what you have there.

This thread is really long, but a lot of the same things get posted repeatedly.

Got my live rock from TBS this afternoon only about 7 hours after it was packaged! Looks great, found a few hitchhikers including these two crabs. Good? Bad?

crab1_zps3ca81c41.jpg

crab2_zps29063e37.jpg

Hogfan I also think the first is a type of porcelain crab, good find! love mine. Can you get a better shot of the second? Might be a gorilla crab. Dark, sharp pinchers?

first one safe, second one should go into someone's sump or refugium...those sharp pinchers are not reef friendly. First one is a type like this video. I expect you will see him feeding soon. Those dull claws eat algae and he collects foods this other way. He is missing a claw which may or may not grow back.

Wow, that's cool! Thanks Kim. I'll put him back in the DT.

I just keep finding things. Two shrimp that looked like pistol shrimp. Way to fast for a picture. Then this funny looking snail with a long tube like mouth part.

snail_zps20766600.jpg

Back