Pix & ID: Critters that come in your rocks: the good and the bad.

hey guys, my wife and I just found a strange worm critter in our tank and have never seen one like it before and I can't find anything even close to it in ANY of the ID threads on multiple sites.

DMmZA6O.jpg

Does anyone have a clue as to what this is?

Sorry for the double post but I wasn't able to edit or delete my previous post:

Here is the proper sized image:

DMmZA6Ol.jpg

Have no clue what it is

Anyone know what these are? Found a couple around the tank and can't ID them online

f1c5f0249b28f95fca2e8ad23895edc0.jpg
dbe7adad4821a513cf578ab4648f992d.jpg
19633b49ed6077a390ae93085b1e376e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are these?!?

What are these?!?

I got my live rock and now a couple months later these things that were kind of gray spirals have turned maroon. Any idea what they are?

Attachments

• IMG_7475.jpg
    IMG_7475.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 0
Some type of sand worm...

Some type of sand worm...

I just happened to be up in the middle of the night and shined the light from my phone in the tank and saw this critter. The dark part was sticking up out of the sand a good half inch. With the light on, it slowly pulled back into the sand leaving no trace he had been there. I'm assuming spaghetti or Hair worm. Your thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20161103_021842.jpg
    IMG_20161103_021842.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0
HI guys, found this on my new live rock.. in the tank for around 3 weeks

Any ideas what it is? its only around 10mm across

Given the fact that it has 'holes' in it and that it appears to be growing in the shade, I'd say it's some kind of sponge. 99% of the time that's a good thing as it's a filter feeder and helps clean the water.

Given the fact that it has 'holes' in it and that it appears to be growing in the shade, I'd say it's some kind of sponge. 99% of the time that's a good thing as it's a filter feeder and helps clean the water.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now you have me curious about the 1% that isn't good. :cool:

Now you have me curious about the 1% that isn't good. :cool:

Sponges come in so many varieties and forms that yes, there are sponges you don't want. Fortunately most don't do well in aquariums, just like most other species of sponges. Some can grow into the space a coral wants and like any battle between inverts, it's impossible to say who will win. Most of the sponges that do well in aquariums tend to be ones that like the dark and grow under rocks and mostly out of our sight. There are a couple of photosynthetic sponges that can do OK in the light and grow. Sponges require very, very small particles of food. Even smaller than what corals will use, so they are very difficult to keep in most reef tanks.

In fact Monday I'm picking up a red/purple branching sponge that a friend picked up off the beach (exposed to the air for who knows how long, likely an hour or so) and it survived. He didn't know not to collect sponges that have been exposed to the air (most are doomed to die over the following days and weeks after exposure). But they have survived and grown in his tank over the past 6 months! On the other hand, I have carefully collected, protected and cared for about 8 or more shallow water, bright sunlight exposed sponges in the Keys and every one has died over a few weeks or a couple of months in my shallow reef tank.

This fell (or was pulled out) or my rock today.. looks like a shell of some sort. I noticed it in the rock but didn't expect it to jump out!

Any ideas?

c1c93e6ee65ab866975ad51a21a2fa80.jpg

Help on non-mobile, hard entity

Help on non-mobile, hard entity

I recently moved a piece of dry rock I had in my tank for 3 months and spotted this guy attached to part of the rock. It doesn't move, but after large water changes and sometimes addition of calcium some stringy (looks like spider-web) comes out the top. Anyone have an idea? Is it harmful? I have soft coral, LPS, and Anemones in the tank. Thx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
Back