Planning my macro algae/ seagrass tank

"I'm wondering if my "tide-pool" setup is working." What do you mean by that?

A little over a week ago I my powerhead shut off. My girlfriend was doing something with the plugs and messed with the plug to the powerhead. Before fixing it I realized that it had been off for over a day and nothing bad had happened. Other than my salinity being a bit higher than normal my parameters weren't off. ALl that was running was my HOB filter with carbon. Also the water was more clear than it had been for a few days. I thought that a small "tidepool" with little water movement would work long term. The porcelain crabs were out more (thought I had lost one, but I saw all three yesterday).

With the recent addition of my rubble to the left side that plan has to be scratched though. All those rocks piled onto each other would need some flow, or else it would cause a nitrate build up.

I'm really just playing around with it while trying to figure out what I want in there.

Oh, I see. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

With the rubble added to the tank it looks barren. I need to replenish my caulerpa quick. Thinking fern this time. I want the fern to cover the area of the rubble.

Still days later I'm in the midst of debates with myself on my stocking.

What do you want the most? What are its ideal conditions?

I'm looking at different levels in the tank. Clownfish may be the staple as i want to appease the misses. She keeps looking at clowns at my LFS. Other than that I want a basslet. Royal Gramma, Chalk, Swiss. Doesnt matter. Lower level is my problem. I either want to do small goby "again" or try something new. A small hawkfish, falco or caribbean (if carribean are available). Last, but not least. Food source. I want to take the approach I used back in Freshwater. I used to breed platy for my main tank (those were healthy happy fat fish). Converting Molly to saltwater would give birth to many little fishes that have a better nutritional value (of course pellets, frozen and live food will still be offered) with the added benefit that molly will nip on algae.

So currently I don't know if I want Goby or a hawkfish. I can't have both as a 3inch hawk will eat a 1inch goby.

I'm not sure about the caribbean variety, but my experience with hawks has been nippy. It's definitely smart to keep the wife happy, but it is your tank. Clowns get territorial and mean, especially in small tanks, so if you do, add it last, or next to last, if you add a hawk. It's funny how wives will love/want a certain fish, until it gets mean to the other fish - then they hate it and want it gone! If you can decide on your 'pivotal species', whether plant or animal, the rest will come easier. I would think a basslet would enjoy baby mollies.

I'm not sure about the caribbean variety, but my experience with hawks has been nippy. It's definitely smart to keep the wife happy, but it is your tank. Clowns get territorial and mean, especially in small tanks, so if you do, add it last, or next to last, if you add a hawk. It's funny how wives will love/want a certain fish, until it gets mean to the other fish - then they hate it and want it gone! If you can decide on your 'pivotal species', whether plant or animal, the rest will come easier. I would think a basslet would enjoy baby mollies.

Clowns do get mean. My last female clown would bite my hand when i cleaned and she was just a tiny little percula.

Everyone would enjoy baby mollies save for gobies who I assume wouldn't be able to eat them depending on the species. Tigrigobius multifasciatus which is my fav species probably wouldn't be able to fit a molly baby in its mouth. Elacatinus (Tigrigobius) macrodon which is a tad bigger probably could, but I have little to no experience with that species.

If I were to add a more "predator" style of tank, mollies would be first, followed by basslet, hawk and then clowns. Having this tiny tank is killing me, but I dont have much room for anything to big. Even setting up the 29g takes up a considerable amount of space in my tiny apartment.

That's it. I've decided on Elacatinus (Tigrigobius) macrodon. There is so little information on them via google search that I might as well begin to care for them myself and make a separate thread for others to learn about them.

Removed my mithrax crab and added 3 more peppermint and one scarlet reef hermit.

Also added some prolifera since I cant find fern and some bush gracilaria.

Dropped a plant tab in the tank.

Forgot to mention. Some of the sand in some areas has turned black underneath. Not sure the reasoning for that one.

Last edited:
Removed my mithrax crab and added 3 more peppermint and one scarlet reef hermit.

Also added some prolifera since I cant find fern and some bush gracilaria.

Dropped a plant tab in the tank.

Forgot to mention. Some of the sand in some areas has turned black underneath. Not sure the reasoning for that one.

Aiptasia was eating a shrimp yesterday. Time to get my gloves, syringe and lemon juice. Got a fight on our hands.

Ordered a Co2 adapter for paintball canisters today. Going to get my current canister removed from the regulator and then add the adapter that way I can get my Co2 working again.

Time to get these gosh darn algae growing.

Here we go.

Don't mind the mess...

Heres the FTS. You can see that grape caulerpa is now the main macro of the tank. Dragons breath has spread and the middle is the new bush gracilaria. Prolifera is in the back. I havent separated them and left them sitting.

The front glass needs to scrapped again, I'm doing it once every 2 weeks and everywhere spiriloid worms have moved in. Water is a bit nutrient heavy because I added plant tabs.

and here is one of the 4 aiptasia monsters I am currently doing battle with.

What a great day! Time for some promoting.

saltybottomreefcompany.com, is run by an awesome guy! I've dealt with him before, but this time I went up to his shop and got to see what you can really find in the gulf. He allowed me to fish for the gobies I want, and I picked up 4. Also got a blenny (havent ID'ed it yet) and a mystery fish (can't figure out if its a blenny or a goby as it's really small. Also forgot to take a picture of it).

He also introduced me to a basslet I've never even heard of (belted sand bass). He set up a pvc light fixture so I can set up my 29g. Definitely gonna go back to get a basslet.

Gobies settled in nicely and have been exploring.

Blenny has been spotted in the macro algae, and mystery tiny fish is in the rubble hiding.

The rubble so far has been perfect. Pods everywhere and the gobies are at home in the rubble.

Picking up Co2 tomorrow hopefully.

On the topic of mystery fish.

After looking at my tank for 30 minutes and looking at the little guy and then going on the FWC website and searching through photo's of fish. I think it's a Saddled blenny. It has many blenny characteristics with one long dorsal fin and also has for lack of better words, a kissy face. Like its lips are puckered, the mouth seems narrow. I went through photos of saddled blenny to be sure and I'm almost 100% positive.

Hopefully when it gets less shy I can get a picture.

Pics incoming!
But beforehand, I was thinking about going into the fish discussion threads and starting something up to talk about these gobies. Like i said before, when looking them up i found little info on them. I'm hoping that with pictures and info they could become a more well known fish.

Here's the Seaweed Blenny

Second shot of it

Goby time

From what I've learned about these guys by watching them, it seems that having 4 of them is beneficial. They seem to enjoy a small community and have established a pecking order with a leader. At least I think so.... I've watched all 4 closely and the largest one, whether it be by age/size/or position in the hierarchy has developed a slight coloration on its pectoral fin. I can't get a picture on it, but it's sort of like a black band running parallel to the body of the fish. Haven't seen the other 3 with that mark. Also that fish shows a bit of aggression when it comes to the others with slight chasing. It's a behaviour that I've seen before in Greenbanded gobies (those species actually change sex when 2 are held together, the male would chase the female and sometimes 'dance' to coerce her to follow him to his lair. From there they bred). It looks like these gobies could be a close relative and also change sex (that can also be correct since ORAFARM has them listed under the same genus Tigrigobius, also confirming that can be bred at home).

They have taken to pellets already and frozen mysis. I'll be purchasing live brine soon.

They also have enjoyed the rubble area as I hope and each fish looks to have gained weight since adding them to the tank (fat tummys= happy fish!)

Here is the second largest.

The largest is here, pectoral fin is down, couldnt get a pic of the band.

The mystery fish (aka the saddled blenny) was missing most of Sunday until I saw him on the other side of the tank hidden in some rock.

My porcelain crabs have been trying to catch fish.... I think my tank is low on phytoplankton, they must be really hungry.

Last edited:
Back