Please Help w/ A. pyroferus (Yellow Mimic Tang): Rapid Breathing/Loss of Appetite

naterealbig

Premium Member
Hey RC Team,

Picked up a 3" A. pyroferus on Sunday, and added the fish to the 20g QT tank, where I was planning on beginning prophylactic treatment for ich and general parasites in several days. Along with pair of clowns 1.5" Yellow Eye Cole Tang, and pair of Oscellaris. No apparent ailments in any fish - all have excellent appetite.

QT consists of Penguin Bio-wheel filter, air stone & pump, Seio powerhead for circulation. Had been running 1/3 cup of fresh carbon in tank up until last night.

Added fish, and day 1 no issues and good appetite.

Day 2, slightly rapid breathing, good appetite.

Day 3 (last night) noted frequency of gill movement had increased, and fish looked thin (but not emaciated). Likely has been thin, but perhaps did not notice in store or on day 1/2. At this point, fish is still eating.

No external signs of ich or velvet, however thought flukes may be causing rapid breathing.

Checked ammonia @ 0 ppm.

Dosed to 2 x recommended dosage for Prazipro, and began treatment by adding 5ml of Coppersafe medication. Added 5ml of Coppersafe this morning.

Today came home and fed fish frozen Emerald Entree (Mysis/Algae) soaked in General Cure - all fish eating with gusto - except new addition w/ zero interest in food. Also tried unmedicated pellets and unmedicated flakes. Will try some unmedicated Emerald Entree later. Noted continued rapid breathing.

At this point I would be grateful for some direction from the pros. The fish is still swimming about, but slow, and with pauses. Seems fairly alert, and reacts to my presence and movement of other fish. Curious if I should continue with medication treatment despite loss of appetite (again, no external symptoms), or if I should discontinue treatment in hopes the fish begins eating again. Or perhaps additional/different course of treatment.

Please let me know your thoughts, and thank you for taking the time to read.

Nathan

Notice any white stringy feces with any of the fish? (Just to rule out intestinal worms or internal flagellates as a possible issue.)

If not, I would get copper up to therapeutic ASAP to treat for velvet. Visible symptoms do not always show if trophonts are in the gills.

Hi there, and thank you for the reply!. To be completely honest, I have not observed feces from any of the fish at all, although I am only able to observe them for 2-3 hrs in the evening.

Using Coppersafe, how quickly can I raise the level to therapeutic?. I estimate I have raised it already from 0 to ~ 1.2 ppm over the last 24 hrs, with my last dose of 5 ml just 30 minutes ago.

Hi there, and thank you for the reply!. To be completely honest, I have not observed feces from any of the fish at all, although I am only able to observe them for 2-3 hrs in the evening.

Using Coppersafe, how quickly can I raise the level to therapeutic?. I estimate I have raised it already from 0 to ~ 1.2 ppm over the last 24 hrs, with my last dose of 5 ml just 30 minutes ago.

Get it to 1.5ppm within the next 24 hours. Don't rely upon Coppersafe's dosing instructions. Use an API copper test kit or ideally, the Hanna High Range Copper Colorimeter.

Tested water, and color was between 1.0 - 2.0. I dosed an extra 2.5 ml to the 20 g tank to cover a "low" error.

Will definitely be ordering a Hannah Copper checker. I had forgotten how important an accurate test reading is, when an animal's life is depending on it. Will post updates as I have them. Anything else I should be doing?

Thank you again for your help!

Best.

He looks very lethargic (especially for a usually active Acanthurus Tang) and his breathing appears elevated. Of course, Prazipro in the water can cause both (as side effects) + appetite suppression. But I would stay the course with raising the copper level.

Understood. I have turned the lights on a couple times after "lights out" so I will wait until morning. 1/2 gallon of RODI with 2 tbsp salt for the FW dip?

Back