PLENUM,at 6yrs. Aint no slowing down

menard

TOTM Nov. 2006
I snap this picture last night. I wish I have a better camera,there so much in there, wont show w/ this camera.Here you go
102796P3150166__Custom_.JPG
102796P3150168__Custom_.JPG
102796P3150171__Custom_.JPG
102796P3150172__Custom_.JPG
102796P3140153__Custom_.JPG
102796P3140162__Custom_.JPG

Great looking tank!!!! Goes to show that different methods work well for different people. Guess it all comes down to paying attention and doing the proper maintenance. Again GREAT job on that one.

Im going to ask since i dont know. what exactly is a PLENUM?
I've seen that word around and know it's about filtration. what is it.

Menard, your tank is beautiful. It does go to show that many different methods work for different people. Hard work, a good plan and PATIENCE is the key IMO. If you had to pick the most important husbandry practice that attributes to your reef tank's success, what would it be?

PK

Menard, can you detail, how YOU set this plenum.

What size pvc, what substrate? How deep the substrate? Extra screen half way up substrate?

Thanks,

Todd

Hawaiianwargod___Thanks man. Acroconut, Thanks. yup, different methods works.Husbandry was the key.________Lordhelmet, Plenum. Nothing but a 1/2" void, lacking O2 just below the sand.It all started back in late 80's to early 90's.A lot of people back then was'n succesful w/ this method.But Im one kind of dude that would not say anything, until I realy experience it myself. A little modification here and there leads me to this date. I believe in it. Just last yr. I siphon the top 1/2" sand and replece w/ new one. And you know what i found bunch of worms and thousands of tiny little criters and the sand smells fresh sea water not what other expected ( hydrogen sulfied)________Pk1, Thanks bud

Hey Menard, the tank is looking great still!

TexasTodd:
In Menards last thread we asked about the Plenum, and he told us how he did it.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=5855124#post5855124 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ich_commando
So if its skimmerless, what makes up your filtration besides rock and flow; Carbon, usage rates, water change rates, ect?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=5888357#post5888357 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by menard
COMANDO, RICH, The set up was very simple. No need to spend 1000 of 1000 of dollars to get this one going.I dont know if you guys familliar w/ Dr. Juberts work, all the tanks in MONACO AQUARIUM set up this way.Back in about late 80's/90's until now.Please, do search on plenum filter,read more about it.All that is a1/2" void under the sand.Here,If you wanna experiment w/ this set up. Cut the egg crate to size, depending on tank size,Make a spacers 1/2" to 1",Then place the cut egg crate on top,make sure you have enough spacers,coz'when you add the sand on top it would not cave in.Make it sturdy,then lay a fiberglass screen on the eggcreate.Cut it large enough, so that you be able to tuck'em in, that the eggcreate is not noticeble.Now lay the sand on top.SOUTHDOWN would not work w/ this system. I prefer crush corals, shells. rubble, dolomite etc.. down the line.OK, make it 2" thick.Lay another screen on top,then pour the special grade reef sand by CARIBSEA or somethig similar 1" to 2". Done.W/ this set up,allows you to aquascape tank naturally,coz' live rock is not the No. 1 issue.Less amount of live rock give you all the imagination,example caves,canyons etc..OK tank set up, wait usually it takes 3 to 6 Mo. before the Plenum to kick in.In the mean time gather all the criter cleaners to combat the algae.Temp. skimmer, but if you are patient you dont have to.Well, thats it guys.This system I find it very stable,reg. water changes dose all your major/minor trace elements. calcium/alk.set water circulation,lighting all down the line. Thats all I have. I experiment w/ all type of filtration available past and present,I find this one stable and cost less. CHEERS
Menards last thread

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6962304#post6962304 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pk1
Menard, your tank is beautiful. It does go to show that many different methods work for different people. Hard work, a good plan and PATIENCE is the key IMO. If you had to pick the most important husbandry practice that attributes to your reef tank's success, what would it be?

PK
PK, that wuld be Test, test, adjust,test, adjust

Rich, Thanks man. Well I forgot to mention that I add another screen. Cleaning purposes,just last yr. I siphon the top sand,recharge w/ new sand.Now Im ready to do this again in 4yrs.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6962214#post6962214 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lordhelmet
Im going to ask since i dont know. what exactly is a PLENUM?
I've seen that word around and know it's about filtration. what is it.

The plenums i've set up in the past have been a DSB with varying sizes of sand, finest on top, elevated off the bottom glass with screen, eggcrate and pvc pipe as risers.

Not to mention, eventhough science tells us differently, the plenum was the best filtration method I have ever used (DSB, SSB, Barebottom etc)

Thanks Rich. I wanted to see how closely he did it to how I've heard. Pretty much right on the money how a friend does it.

Member Garf volunteer has even made a calculator for the materials.....as well as has been running one super sucessfully for many years.

Todd

Very nice looking , I considered building a plenum for my 325. I went bear bottom . Your tank looks fantastic . I might try one the next time I set up a tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6964780#post6964780 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dizzyswimmer
Very nice looking , I considered building a plenum for my 325. I went bear bottom . Your tank looks fantastic . I might try one the next time I set up a tank.
Thanks, man. My tank was Berlin BB in 1990, all live rock on top of the egg create,I made PVC manifolds connected to a powerhead to push all the craap.... towards the front where I could see'em. I had succes w/ that too, and then when I move to another place I swiched . I got bored I guess. PEACE

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6966420#post6966420 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefing102
nice tank. are those zoos growing on the montipora in the 3rd pic?
Yes indeed. the montis. becoming a pest.I need some coral to slow it down. You could see all this monti. chips I toss on the sustrate they form more colonies.:rollface:

I doubt highly that your success is due to the plenum, but I do give you props on your tank. Its VERY VERY nice. You obviously have some very good husbandry practices.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6967630#post6967630 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mcola78
To completely side track this forum...sorry...what fish is that in your tag??
HYBRID__C. Flavassima,(Lemonpeel A.) and C. Vroliki (half black A.)

Your tank is awesome, good work. I want to see more. Have you had to add any substrate to the top of your plenum over the years?

Back