Plumbing two tanks together - Thoughts and suggestions?

amps

I have an established 10g nano tank that has been running for two years. This summer we also setup up a 180g tank in the next room with an 80g sump in the basement

The small tank has an 8g sump and I've been managing it's alk/calcium requirements using Kalk in my ATO. I hadn't had a problem with the Kalk until this morning when my overflow clogged and my ATO dumped nearly a gallon of kalkwasser into the tank while trying to replace the water spilling out of the external overflow box. I quickly did a larger water change, got the PH in check and so far the two clownfish and corals seem fine. But it got me thinking about ways of preventing future problems.

My first option is some sort of PH controller or getting expansion modules for the Apex on my large tank to monitor the PH/Temp and switch on/off the ATO as required. About $180 (Canadian) for a Milwaukee Ph controller and $350 for an Apex PM1 module, EB4, temp and PH probe.

The second option to connect the two tanks to the same sump and benefit from the existing Apex controller and 2-part dosing setup. This would elimate the need for kalk altogether. I'm leaning towards this option. I've been battling nutriets problems and the resulting algae in the small tank and the tiny stand and sump make it very hard to include any decent skimmer or reactor.

The sump is in the basement (about 9ft vertical from the sump to the top of the 10g tank) and about 6ft away horizontally. The large tank/sump has a Jebao DCS12000 (running at 90%) for a return pump and a DCS4000 running two reactors, my UV filter and a frag tank right next to the sump. On one hand, I'd like to have the flexibility of running a dedicated pump to each DT with separate plumbing and control. On the other hand, I would wind up having three pumps in the sump (one for accessories and one for each DT) and it may cost up to $150 for a suitable pump.

What do you all think? A separate pump for each DT or split the plumbing off my DCS12000? If I get a separate pump, any recommendations? Another DCS4000 should be good but might be at the edge of my head height requirements.

Thanks in advance!

I personally have run a couple tanks off the sump a number of times. Although it is more costly a separate pump for each tank ime has been the best setup. Variable, dc pumps work well for they can be adjusted, run quiet and perform well.

Just setup a manifold off the return pump to feed one of the tanks and have the tank drain to the main sump and enter via a bulkhead either to the return compartment or anyewhere else in the sump. I have a 60 gallon display refugium fed from a manifold like that and I'm adding a frag tank as well that will also be fed from my manifold.

Back