poor Daddy

catdoc

Premium Member
My gsm pair spawned again today. I feel kind of sorry for the male, tending a nest that is bigger than he is! I need to try counting the eggs, I'm curious as to how many there are.

maletendingnest2.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9309546#post9309546 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dc
So did you count them yet? :D

Tried to!! I zoomed in on the pic, drew a grid over the pic and counted 6 grids (out of the 15 I drew). After counting 6 and coming up with almost 40 for each, I extrapolated (on the low side) and came up with about 600! I know maroons can have even bigger spawns, but having never counted I didn't think she was laying as many as she is. Wow! I didn't notice until I zoomed in on the pic that there is another cluster of eggs behind/above and to the left of the male. I guess they started there and then moved to the lower part.

When the last spawn hatched, I tried my hand at catching some of the fry. I used a bowl with a flashlight like I'd read here and caught dozens within just a couple of minutes. It was easier than I thought it would be so I may give this a try after our vacation next month. We'll see how it goes.

That spawn hatched after lights out on Tues or Wed, new spawn on Thursday. This spawn isn't as dense as the one before, but it was the interval between spawnings was about 2 days shorter than is usual for this pair.

I have a tough time getting pics of this spawn b/c it's under the rbta. In order to see the eggs, I'm at an angle that gives a lot of glare. Sorry I'm not better at the photography! I also had to wait for Mama to get out of the shot. Every picture, she's hovering nearby or charging the glass b/c I'm scaring her boyfriend, LOL!

rbtaandmarooneggs.jpg

maroonparents.jpg

I never knew maron clowns clould be black! I though they were red, but then they would be called red clowns :D

Are you planning on rearing the eggs, or are they food for everything now?

They aren't really black, just my crummy photography skills! They are a rich deep maroon, almost chocolate color. The female has been that deep color as long as I've had her (2 years) but the male started out the usual reddish-maroon and only in the past few months has deepened to the chocolatey maroon.

Back