Prazi Pro and Flukes

I'll just add a few comments here to help re-assure you since I have a small AT in Quarantine right now as well and ours went in about the same time.

The fish I received was about the same size as yours, but didn't look nearly as nice when it came in. For a period of nearly two weeks, it would barely eat and scuffled with bouts of lateral line disease. I ended up replacing every electrical device in the tank to finally get the lateral line to cease.

It has only been in the last week or so that it's finally started to eat any of the floating prepared foods (I feed the LRS foods and PE mysid), it had been subsiding for close to three weeks on the occasional algae nibble.

Additionally, in regards to flukes, when you preformed the FW dip, if flukes had been present, they would have most likely come off in the in first three to five minutes. You can see the fluke start to fill up with FW and appear like a bump on the surface of the fish before it comes off the fish. They can vary in size, depending the age and specie of the flukes. They are about the size of a piece of rice, cut in half generally, and a bit wider. They are also usually an opaque white color.

IMO, if you don't see a lot of flashing or scratching, it's unlikely that there is a fluke issue.

I would continue the full prazi course, as it's only 5 days and then hit the tank with a large water change. Additionally, if you are concerned about flukes after, preform a series of FW dips once the prazi treatment is done. I like to preform them every three days for a period of two weeks or so to be sure that I don't miss the parasite between between it's stages of life. I have only had to do this in the most stubborn of infestations.

To sum up, I think these fish are more resilient than we can be lead to believe a lot of times, if he misses a few meals, he'll be ok. Ensure good water quality, and the correct dose of the prazi and I think your fish will come through treatment just fine.

Thanks for the input! The only thing here that I find odd is that I have never seen a fish doing these gestures in my life. He is charging food, he is hungry, he eats food and then does this like violent twitching. In the easiest way It like he can eat it but something is preventing him from swallowing it. I most likely should get a video of it. Even at times when he hasn't ate or picked anything he will randomly chatter his gills and even go to like a violent twitch then he just swims about. Its almost as if he is PO'd something is stuck and he can't eat. I have kept my finger in the top of the tank to try and detect any current of electricity, when the heater is on and still haven't felt the slightest tick. Should I put in a grounding probe? I guess it cant hurt right

If there was electrical current in the water (unlikely) the fish wouldn't feel it. You putting a hand in the tank and getting shocked completes the circuit, but that isn't happening, so no stray voltage.

I promise I've seen fish do what you are describing, in fact my little trident tail used to when he first started taking mysis. Forgot to mention food size can cause it too, they are trying to gulp/spit in quick succession. Some of my big tangs do it when trying to get down a big piece.

Your fish is fine, just keep an eye on the spot on his pectoral fin.

I think I know what your describing. Fish will eat it, spit it out, then eat it, or "toy" with there food. Its not like that, It doesn't matter the size of the food or type. I have watched him do this with anything that enters his mouth. This has only started in the last 2 days which is what is even more odd. At least when he was going for the nori during treatment he wouldn't shake abruptly. I guess Ill just keep an eye on him, buts it very odd. I have kept tangs(never an AT) for 10+ years and have not seen this reaction from one so that is what gets me a little nervous.

Thanks again for your time, its always much appreciated! I always take in everyones input!

I guess another way to describe it. It seems he can't "swallow" perse. Almost like when someone goes to swallow a pill. They get it in there mouth, swish it, try swallowing it, if they can't they spit it back up and then shake there head violently. The fish seems fine for now I did a 75% water change he is picking at things but can't seem to down it, Ill be home later to check on him.

REA! I may have finally found the culprit if so I am happy that it can be confirmed. Tell me what this looks like you?

Was watching him and he did his head shake that I have been talking about and BAM this popped out. Took a plastic solo cup and was able to retrieve it from the tank. Had it on low flow so it was easy to follow and trace.

Question is, is that a fluke? If so I would say gill flukes.

Sure don't, Just got home and he seems to be exactly the same still. Wants to eat goes for food but just can't swallow it down... I contacted liveaquaria to see what they come up with

I think I am going to FW dip him. Definitely something is bother him badly. I have researched every thing and still am coming up empty handed.

This may be farfetched but is it possible that the tang had a bad infestation of flukes. Once they died and left all the open sores from there hooks, he has very soar gills/mouth that is irritating him every time he eats? The only other thing that bothers me is that he just seems so tired.

Last edited:
So I am not a pro at this but the last FW dip I did when I put him back in the tank he seemed normal as far as his skin and mucous. He had INSANE mucous all over his skin this time.

And the last 2 days would describe is very tired state and not eating if it is brook or something.... but how would he have gotten it?

Not dealt with brook before, thankfully, so it's hard for me to say. A video would be helpful so we can see what is going on.

I might recommend leaving the lights out for a few days to help calm the fish down. The combination of multiple dips and the Prazi is likely stressing the fish out in addition to any infection/infestation it may have.

I meant to say something earlier, but the 100% water change may not have been the best idea. If it's of too late, I'd do a 50% today, wait a day, and do another one. Are you trying to fix parameters with the WC or dilute the concentration of potential parasites?

So I am not a pro at this but the last FW dip I did when I put him back in the tank he seemed normal as far as his skin and mucous. He had INSANE mucous all over his skin this time.

Sometimes fish have air bubbles stuck to them when they come out of the dip, or stuck to excess mucous. Post pictures or a video, but I honestly think you are worrying way too much and taking action too early, and stressing the fish more than you need to. Agreed that 100% wc would be excessive, and to leave the tank lights off to let the fish calm down.

10-4 thats what I did. Ill try to get a video tomorrow. Im just going to let the fish take its course this point. I think your right, he appears healthy and is just acting weird, like I explained when he eats. Im probably causing more stress than I should to this fish. Thanks again though for the reassurance.

So this is NOT normal after a FW dip of a tang. What do you mean by mucus? Excess mucus but skin is fine, or skin sloughing off?

Back