Prazi Pro and Flukes

I went back to your first post and have a couple of questions. How long have you had this fish? If it was in your DT did you add anything (corals, inverts) to the main without quarantining? How is the coloring on the fish? Has it faded on any part of his body? How is his breathing? The reason I ask is given the timing and the excess mucus you could be dealing with brook and not flukes.

Well, This fish has been in my hands for 15 days now. He was put right into a QT by himself(with a Marine Betta for less than 1 day). I just monitored him the first 9 days, he ate like a pig. Whatever I put in the tank he would eat it all(minus mysis shrimp) no matter if I fed him 3 times a day or 20 times a day. I started Prazi on day 9.

(Start of Prazi)
He didnt eat any meaty foods during treatment.
Day 1: Seemed to be content with the treatment, little less of an appetite, but would still eat all the nori I put on clips.

Day 2: Less of an appetite, same as day 1, ate the nori.

Day 3: Ate the nori off the clips as usual, but started noticing the shaking action with his head and gills, and it would only occur after he picked at something, either off of the rocks or the nori

Day 4: Eating less and I tried some meaty foods he picked at them but would spit them out in a violent way. He would eat it and 3 seconds later spit it out and do his head shake as if something was bothering him immensely

Day 5: Did a 75% water change charged after the food in the tank but couldn't eat it. Whatever was bothering him(is still) wouldnt let him eat. He would eat it and want to it eat and do a violent head twitch and shake, even open and flutter his gills.

Day 6: Wasn't really picking at much and seemed to rarely pick at the nori, tried all sorts of food and still the same hasty violent shake. Its almost as if he is hungry, he wants to eat, charges the food, and can't swallow it. Almost like its so painful to swallow he can't or he has some open soars in his mouth that is causing tremendous pain when something enters it. Did a FW dip, nothing came off of him, there was some excess mucous that was coming off of him and stayed on for 2 hours after the dip, it was not on him this morning at all.

Day 7(today): Really the same action, less aggressive at charging the food in the water but still tries to pick at it.

He is very "steady" lets say, He just swims and goes throughout his business. No charging or erratic behavior(but when he picks or tries to eat something), just kind of sluggish. I have noticed fin rot on is left(facing you) pectoral fin. It started off as a little bump(thought it was lympho), was pretty much completely gone yesterday. Today the whole side of the fin is showing fin rot with a white edge to it. Its very clear it is fin rot and its pretty even on the entirety of the fin. No other fins are showing it, he is using that fin less than his other one. No discolorations what so ever on his skin anywhere. Very pretty fish since day one, coloration has not changed but when he goes through a mood change. Very dominant colors and no grey coloration. That is the best way I can describe everything I have monitored from this fish.

I have 2 theories:

1. He had gill flukes, flukes in his mouth or esophagus. When I treated prazi it killed these(not this started happening worse the longer prazi went on) and left many open soars which irritates him to eat anything.

2. I have been trying to observe his mouth. I see its not 100% smooth, maybe raggedy as if he has a soar there. Nothing big enough to photograph or confirm first hand. My GF said(Day 3 into prazi), "See him pick off the heater", I didn't think anything of it, could he have possibly burnt his lips?

I understand fin rot is a fungal infection, negative bacteria, and is usually the cause of another infection or illness. I just can't think of one, I have honestly grown tired of reading 6 hours a day, forum after forum, article after article to come up with a plausible solution or diagnosis.

Just taken, you can notice the fin rot on his fin. Also have seen him pick at the one piece of LR constantly and I have put rotifers in the tank so maybe he is kind of picking at them. Good thing is he still plump and not skinny. I have noticed he may have a slight sunken in face maybe? I never really observed many of these species first hand. I'm stumped...

My PH is the only thing some what out of whack for the tank. It stays at 7.88-8. Sometimes a little higher, I notice it got low one time(7.71). I check it 2 times a day once at 7am and once in the evening. It got down to 7.71 but that was 10 days ago.

I have notice he doesn't close his mouth often if at all. His mouth seems as if he has something around the outer edges of it maybe. Its not smooth like a normal tang mouth. Maybe its cottonmouth? If so how would I go about this?

Last edited:
True fungal infections are very rare and often untreatable, this looks bacterial.

You can run him through a course of antibiotics, but after that I'd leave him alone for a while and get his appetite back.

Im leaving him alone for the whole weekend as Ill have time to monitor him. I don't plan on dosing/treating for anything until I see him start to eat or show other signs. I will continue to do 5 gallon water changes daily on the tank as I will overfead. I will do 2 1/2 in the morning and the same in the evening to provide optimal water quality. I doubt these add any stress to the fish, the temp and SG is evenly matched every water change. I perform them without even scaring him from one of the tank to the other.

No luck on him eating yet... been really bumming me out, yesterday he seemed to take some food but not much if any. He just seems so beat from the prazi still... I have noticed his mouth is not bothering him a much so hopefully he will try and eat soon. Just really bums me out that the fish seemed healthy and was eating like a hog, ran him through 1 round of prazi and he is a zombie now...

Tomorrows another day....

Sorry to hear. What are you offering? I'm assuming the parameters check out? How's the fin looking?

Well his fin is definitely looking incredibly better. From what I can tell it has stopped "Rotting", there is no more of a white edge and he seems to be using it more. All the other fins are looking fin. So what I didn't mention is when the fish kind of hit rock bottom with eating on Thursday(If I recall correctly) I stopped the 1200GPH powerhead in the tank as he seemed very lifeless at that point. Over the weekend he seemed really down, didn't seem happy at all but he was out and about and swimming so that was an improvement. This morning I decided to put the powerhead back on and the little guy went nuts. He immediately changed colors back to a nice solid black and was swimming about and picking on the rock and the nori. Made me really realize how much these guys love high waterflow. So hopefully this will improve his moral. Hopefully I can get him to eat after work, once he fattens up, onto coppper treatment(which scares me).

As far as the food that I am offering. I have pretty much thrown everything ate him.

PE mysis shrimp soaked in garlic and selcon
Brine Shrimp soaked in selcon
Spirulana Brine Shrimp
Chopped Clams
Rods food(meaty kind)
NLS pellets
Red Seaweed
Purple and Green Nori
Krill
Thinking about getting some live blackworms from my LFS and enticing them with those. What do you feed? I am looking for a healthy feeding regimen just haven't found one. I know whole foods are best for the fish as they have the extra amino acids, fish oil, and etc. I have been thinking of trying squid or clams on the half shell

My achilles loves NLS pellets and nori, he only just recently started taking mysis and other meaty foods.. What you are currently offering looks like a good variety, assuming he'll eat it. Soak the nori in selcon and vitachem/Zoe and all should be well until he starts accepting other foods.

Will be sure to keep you updated! Hopefully I can get home at a reasonable time and try to feed him some foods and see how he reacts. How is your experience with copper treatment? This is something I have never done but want to run him through it.

Both of my AT's handled cupramine just fine. I ramped it up slowly over a period of 6 days to .4mg/l, which is much slower than the directions on the bottle indicate. I'm more and more fond of tank transfer method if you have the space and resources though.

So set up 2 29 gallon tanks and just transfer every 2 days ain't it? Basically 100% cleaning each tank in the mean time?

Got home today, put some food in the tank and he seemed interested but wouldn't eat really. He looked 10 times better than the weekend though, he was out and swimming and nice colors, wasn't showing any mood. I waited about an hour put some food in the tank and WALLAAAA he ate like a pig. Brine shrimp and mysis shrimp both soaked in garlic and selcon. I blame it on the myself by shutting off the waterflow. He just all of a sudden got his appetite back. Made my day!!!

Fish is doing great! Been chowing down fresh clams from the store chopped up and soaked in selcon, Nori, and Brine shrimp soaked in selcon. Tried to feed blackworms but I accidently left them out of the for a day with no water and were pretty dead he tried eating them but I don't think he could down it lol. Anyways he is doing awesome nonstop eating and fattening him up. I don't think I am going to run copper, he has showed no signs of anything and as much as I have stressed this fish out I feel like it would have shown.
I plan on running prazi in the QT for 18-24 hours and adding him to my tank. The reason is because I have read that after 18 hours all flukes are dead under a prazi treatment. I am not sure when I will do this but I will surely keep you posted!

Sounds like he's doing well. Fwiw I always freeze grocery store shellfish before feeding to kill anything that could hitchhike in. My fish love clam , mussel, and oyster on the half shell as a treat!

Back