Prazipro as a prophylactic treatment.

A sea K

I have several fish in QT that arrived Wed from LADD. They are healthy and eating fine with no signs of flashing or exhibiting other outward signs of problems.

How long should I observe them to be sure they are clear of possible flukes or intestinal parasites or should I just go ahead and treat them as preventative measure.

The fish in question are Zebra Dartfish, Tailspot blenny and very small juvi Squaretail Bristletooth Tang

I treat all fish regardless of signs or not. If the fish are eating with vigor you can treat them now.

Yes they are all eating well but I wish the juvi C. truncatus was a little thicker. I know the juvenile fish most always have a higher metabolism and I do have some reservations with the Prazi being a known appetite suppressant for some fish.

If I do go ahead do you think it necessary to do the treatment twice or will one treatment suffice given no other outward symptoms?

I think the decision to preventative treatment is a personal one. I have seen posts where experienced reefers here choose observation and wait and see.

Some automatically dip in formulin, a very toxic chemical and carcinogen, even dangerous for humans to be around during the dip. I personally can't bring myself to have my new fish swimming in it unless its necessary.

I have also thought about Prazi, and decided since Prazi can be used in the display if necessary, and given a lengthy QT in observation (at least a month), I will hold off on preventative Prazi as well

TTM, though, is non-chemical and only risk is not matching salinity and temp, and watching ammonia, so not as invasive as Formalin and Prazi.

My 2 cents

Well I've started the treatment yesterday and the question still remains, one or two rounds of prazi? This is a preventative step as I still have yet to observe any signs that say there is reason to treat.

I would do 2 rounds (5 days long) 5 days apart. There is a few good data tables online that give you the hatch rates of pests/worms/etc based on temperature and the 5 day spread should cover all of the hatched babies before they can lay their own.

I also treat absolutely everything with Prazi. There's no negatives to the treatment. I have had one fish loose appetite immediately after treatment and die withing 24 hours but I believe it had a belly full of worms that posioned/killed it as they died from the treatment.

Well so far everyone has responded well to the treatment without showing any loss of appetite so I am pleased about that.

Back