!!Predrilled AGA overflows!!

Jimmy719

Hello

I have a pre drilled (reef ready I guess you'd call it) 65 gallon AGA brand aquarium. Several times now, the white stopper part on top of the drain pipe (the thing that keeps it quiet) has gotten stuck down onto the sponge prefilter. This stops up the downflow, and the tank floods. Fortuneately it has only happened while I am doing tank maintenance, but I am worried it will happen some other time. What is causing this and how can I correct it?

Thank you for your help.

Jimmy

I'm not sure if this will help your problem, but I usually remove the sponge anyway. It's not really needed.

I'm no expert but I've set my new system up so there's room for the sump to pump out to the main tank. Mostly by lowering the tank and sump level and raising the suction side of the sump pump. Now it's impossible for the sump to overflow the tank.

I believe the sponge is more useful in freshwater application. Salt water "stuff" and critters growing on it might tend to clog it up quickly.

I installed a durso standpipe in my AGA overflow. It's silent and will not clog unless a critter gets in it.

When I had goldfish in the tank, the sponge was a great pre-filter for the wet-dry, although it needed weekly cleaning. Now that it's a SW tank, the durso standpipe is the way to go.

I almost had an overflow with the sponge after a long period of neglect.

good luck

Back