Where did everyone go?

Navy Medic

Hello, I have been "lost in the sauce" from this forum for a LONGGGG time, In the old forum I was Navymedic but I decided to instead of going to the hassle of remembering my password and all that stuff to just start a new account. SO I notice that Reef Central is not as active as it used to be and was wondering what happened?

Any-who I am in the process of converting my reef to an Anemone tank and decided to come back to the forum for news and perhaps see what others are now doing. My current reef is over 10 years old but has not been pristine as it used to be. I hope to change that and become more proactive and get my tank back to its glory days. I am still having issues with my Neptune Apex, and I am about to throw it all in the garbage but will try and figure it out. Hope to meet with some of the people from my old club (Orlando Reef Collectors association) and see what all is happening. Feel free to message me and or to say hello.

Hello, I have been "lost in the sauce" from this forum for a LONGGGG time, In the old forum I was Navymedic but I decided to instead of going to the hassle of remembering my password and all that stuff to just start a new account. SO I notice that Reef Central is not as active as it used to be and was wondering what happened?

Any-who I am in the process of converting my reef to an Anemone tank and decided to come back to the forum for news and perhaps see what others are now doing. My current reef is over 10 years old but has not been pristine as it used to be. I hope to change that and become more proactive and get my tank back to its glory days. I am still having issues with my Neptune Apex, and I am about to throw it all in the garbage but will try and figure it out. Hope to meet with some of the people from my old club (Orlando Reef Collectors association) and see what all is happening. Feel free to message me and or to say hello.
A lot of people moved to Facebook groups when those started, we had an old software that wasn’t user friendly and led to a lot of issues (upgraded now) and some left for other forums.

That said, @JohnL can get you your old account back.

Welcome and agreed. Many people moved to Facebook, youtube or instagram for the most part but still lots of good information to be had

And some of us got busy with life and drifted away.

I do have to say the new forum software is a lot better. Image sizes could be bumped up a bit higher.

I'm going to sound like an old man, but back in the day you needed a computer to surf the internet, the information you could find was better, the people where nicer and in general forums were good placed to get info. Now every idiot with a smartphone is posting whatever he thinks, the misinformation and hate out there is ridiculous. It wasn't like that before :ROFLMAO: and I feel like smartphone exclusive users are to blame.

I'm going to sound like an old man, but back in the day you needed a computer to surf the internet, the information you could find was better, the people where nicer and in general forums were good placed to get info. Now every idiot with a smartphone is posting whatever he thinks, the misinformation and hate out there is ridiculous. It wasn't like that before :ROFLMAO: and I feel like smartphone exclusive users are to blame.
Couldn't agree more. And I am old;)

Lol I’ll agree the information is better. I do recall a lot of hate though if your method was outside of what was deemed normal

Lol maybe. I remember when the bottled bacteria’s were called snake oil as there’s no way bacteria can live in a bottle

“Where is everyone?” I was thinking the same thing! I got out of Reed keeping 16-17 years ago (I’ve still got a metal halide fixture I kept “just in case”). I came back looking for tips on new tech etc. it’s like a ghost town! Any sources you could send my way for new tank start up would be very helpful. Looking at the whole thing as LEDs etc have certainly changed the game. Back when I was on this site constantly the latest craze was “bare bottom vs deep sand bed”

“Where is everyone?” I was thinking the same thing! I got out of Reed keeping 16-17 years ago (I’ve still got a metal halide fixture I kept “just in case”). I came back looking for tips on new tech etc. it’s like a ghost town! Any sources you could send my way for new tank start up would be very helpful. Looking at the whole thing as LEDs etc have certainly changed the game. Back when I was on this site constantly the latest craze was “bare bottom vs deep sand bed”
Well, I'm still running metal halides but, bulbs and ballasts are nearly impossible to find these days and, when you do find them, they're expensive. I got lucky and found some bulbs and ballasts on clearance a couple years back and have enough to last me for about 8-10 years.

Other than lighting, IMO, not much has changed (but then I'm still running a pretty old school tank). Most people seem to either do bare bottom or a shallow sand bed. Protein skimmers are still used by most.

One thing that HAS changed, is we no longer shoot for absolute ZERO nitrate and phosphates. Here's what we shoot for:
1695399577132.png

Even the FB reefers KNOW they're getting bad info on there. But won't even look at a forum because I guess it hurts their brains. :unsure:

Even the FB reefers KNOW they're getting bad info on there. But won't even look at a forum because I guess it hurts their brains. :unsure:
I take issue with the ‘content creators’ who unashamedly crank out overwhelmingly pure drivel and shill reviews. They have done more of a disservice to this (every) hobby than anyone else. Sure there are good ones out there, but most are hacks looking for freebies, followers and fame. Sadly they are mostly taken as credible.

I take issue with the ‘content creators’ who unashamedly crank out overwhelmingly pure drivel and shill reviews. They have done more of a disservice to this (every) hobby than anyone else. Sure there are good ones out there, but most are hacks looking for freebies, followers and fame. Sadly they are mostly taken as credible.
I have the same issue with them. They’ve turned our hobby into a clown show.

Reefing instructions then actually said: Keep your fish in a cool chariot and try not to heat with fire and brimstone or you may get smited. Try not to look back at your tank after you walk away or you will be turned into a pillar of salt. "Instant Ocean" salt.

Do water changes using water from the Sea of Galilee and if you see a cool looking guy walking on the water respectfully say "Hello Jesus" and ask if he will bless your fish. He prefers Angelfish. :D

Back