Preparing For The Hurricane.....

While I have done it in the past back feeding is not a wise choice unless you know what you're doing and know the risks, like Larry mentioned a simple mistake can be deadly to others. The proper setup is a sub panel to power what you'd like off the generator. The transfer switch is used to switch the power source into the panel, utility vs generator; this can be automatic or manual and should match the generators start type.

Still waiting to get home.
Been stuck in Aruba since flight was cancelled due to Irene.

If you're going to get stuck somewhere, I don't know if I could think of a better place than Aruba.

I understand all of this, but is it really a good way of doing it? I thought you had to install something called a "transfer switch" or something along those lines.

A transfer switch would be the right way of doing it, and if you are not comfortable with your level of electrical know how, I would strongly recommend going the transfer switch route, but have it professionally installed.
If you look at a Harbor Freight (they have a store in Hempstead now) catalog, they have units made by Generac that can run your whole house, and supply an extension cord for your neighbor too. They run on your choice of gasoline, natural gas or propane. You can get that, with an automatic transfer switch fully installed for about 3 grand. Those things are awesome! they do a self test once a month, and when power goes out, they start up by themselves. If you have 3 g's under the mattress, this is a good way to spend it.......

Back