Preparing For The Hurricane.....

I have nothing :( but battery air bubbles that's it.

I'm trying to find me small battery box that can runs only return pump that has low watt...hydor 1200

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Jake

Battery backups may be a cheaper option. I got hold of a small fan that is battery operated.

Is anyone functioning under solar power- curious how that would come into play in case of a outage?

I think grid connected (no batteries) solar panels will power your house during the day.

After a bit of google research, a system connected to the grid without a battery backup, would shut down to protect the people working on the power lines.

Last edited:
I have nothing :( but battery air bubbles that's it.

I'm trying to find me small battery box that can runs only return pump that has low watt...hydor 1200

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Jake
12 volt car battery jumper and a power inverter can be found at walmart, kmart, HD, or Lowes. The battery jumper can be recharged by plugging it in to your cars auxiliary power port if you run it out of juice.

Most Homies are sold out. I lucked out when I went to the Patchouge location, although they were sold out they told me their truck had just left to deliver 6 to Coram. So I bolted up there and lucked out. I just can't take the chance of being without power.

You never know....

They said cat 1 or 2 they won't know until Saturday for sure to see how bad..

I went to home depot for other things and there was sign said "homies" :) are
Sold out

Jake

For emergencies such as this... I have the standard First Aid Kits, bottled water, canned items, instant foods(just add water), propane for the BBQ so I can cook meats as they begin to thaw out. Candles, matches, batteries, flashlights, flares, saftey vest and a portable radio.

For my tank... Full tank of gas for the car to run a Power Inverter so that I may run the skimmer and external pump.
55 gallon drum filled with RODI water so I can make fresh Saltwater changes.
200 Gallon box of RC Salt.

Im a bit concerned myself.... what is the minimum to do to keep the fish alive? just power some flow? or pump and all. Anyone that can be more elaborate on what to do if we should lose power would be very helpful

Some type of battery back up(radio shack, best buy) to plug into, to run at least your circulation pump.. also look into a battery powered air pump ($15-$25.00). The killer in our aquariums when power goes out is lack of oxygen.

The hurricane just passed thru Puerto Rico last Sunday. It was a direct hit but only category 1 but it was strong! I lost power for two days and my Honda generator gave me power for my tank and other home appliances.

Latest weather report from the Weather Channel said it could be a category 2 or 3 when it reaches us. At first, I was of a mind that this was going to be much to do about nothing - sure, it'll be a big storm, but so what? Now, I'm a little concerned. Long Island is supposed to get the worst of it if the storm continues on its current path. Oy.

It's ironic though because on Tuesday the History Channel featured a(n) episode on Mega Disasters and they were talking about the Cat3 Hurricane that hit NY and decimated L.I. in 1938. They said we were due for another one and walla!!!

I'm wondering if I should take down my 12'X15' canopy tomorrow, or at least bolt it down to my deck......

Back