Protocol for using antibiotics to treat infected anemones ~Added to 7/30/14

I'm treating a blue gig. This isn't a new anemone, but one that had been in my tank for almost 3 years. I believe it caught an infection from another anemone in my main tank, even though they were in separate compartments.

I started treatment with a 250mg/10 gallons dose of Cipro. When that didn't seem to be working after a week (still deflating), added 400mg/80mg Septra along with the Cipro. It seemed to show improvement for three days (not enough to put it in my main tank, but better), but when I increased the Septra to 800mg/160mg for one dose, it reacted very badly. I thought it was a goner.

I changed back to Cipro only, but increased dose to 500mg/10 gallons, and it looked much better the next day. However, after almost three more days the mouth is still gaping, although it is not deflating any more. I would grade it a 4-5 on Amoo's System, as the mouth is still open and sometimes I can see the insides.

Just don't know where to go from here, if it's not improving at the max dose of Cipro. It didn't react well to the Cipro and Septra combination that's suggested by Amoo at the beginning of this thread (although I have used this successfully before), but what I'm doing doesn't seem to be kicking the infection. I'm considering switching to Septra only for a bit.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Can you post some picture?
Seem like it is doing OK with Cipro, I would continue with it. It seem to also doing Ok with 250 cipro plus 400/80 septra, you can use this dose and hope for the best.
There is really no base for my recommendation other than the fact that you said it is doing better

How do you know if your avenge have a bacterial infection? I have a green bta and rainbow bta. I did I tank upgrade two months ago. Ever since they've not been happy. Rainbow had faded significantly. The green will get dark for a few days then regain is color, only to darken up again. This past week they were having a difficult time attaching to anything. I don't notice them oozing a significant amount of stuff, at least not more than normal. Ive been thinking of antibiotic treatment. Thoughts? Parameters are stable. Immediately following the upgraded, I did have a alk spike, some of the other coral were not happy, for a week. But they've all since recovered and are thriving.

Just wanted to thank Minh for this thread!! The treatment protocol for dying anemones does work!! I have a H. Magnifica that was doing poorly after shipping. After 12 hours of treatment with Septra 800/160, it is looking Magnificent!!!

How do you know if your avenge have a bacterial infection? I have a green bta and rainbow bta. I did I tank upgrade two months ago. Ever since they've not been happy. Rainbow had faded significantly. The green will get dark for a few days then regain is color, only to darken up again. This past week they were having a difficult time attaching to anything. I don't notice them oozing a significant amount of stuff, at least not more than normal. Ive been thinking of antibiotic treatment. Thoughts? Parameters are stable. Immediately following the upgraded, I did have a alk spike, some of the other coral were not happy, for a week. But they've all since recovered and are thriving.

If they are not doing well you can try treatment. What you are experience is not classic for infection

Just wanted to thank Minh for this thread!! The treatment protocol for dying anemones does work!! I have a H. Magnifica that was doing poorly after shipping. After 12 hours of treatment with Septra 800/160, it is looking Magnificent!!!

Thanks. He may be stressed from shipping and may be recovering from it

If they are not doing well you can try treatment. What you are experience is not classic for infection
You are right. It most definitely not an infection. It was from an alk spike. It's now on the road to recovery.

I have an exotic BTA that is not doing well right now, and I have started a treatment with Kenaplex. Has anyone used this before? I have consulted a couple of trusted industry people and was recommended this over other meds that I have. I'm already seeing an improvement on the nem in question within a few hours.
Cipro has been ordered, but it wont be here for a few days.

Video before treatment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz_GYmxyrzw

So I am getting my first gig on tues. my HT is already setup and I have cipro on hand. Should I observe before treating, see if it deflates or just treat after acclimated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, If you do not have a lot of experience on knowing when a Gigantea is sick it is better if you treat the Gig empirically on arrival.

I'll make it short-ish. Haddoni was shipped to me from LA and the water in the bag looked good, not cloudy, little bit of particulate, tiny bit of noticeable zooanthelea. Nem placed in 10 gallon qt for observation. Looked really good and full within 4 hours and after 96 hours w/o treatment was placed in DT. Thank you for all your invested time with anemones and sharing it. I've learned a ton!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 2
Can order online or at Pet store that may carry them. Recently FDA put our warning that Ciprofloxacin can cause inflammation of tendons and rupture of tendons (actually a know side effect of this medication for ever but FDA bring more attention to it) so Doctors and Dentists tend not to prescribe them as easy anymore.

My anemomes have been acting weird for some time now and my toxic green is losing its neon color green and is shrinking and expanding at times and has a open mouth and closes sometimes and my bta has shrunk is there anything i can do?
attachment.php
attachment.php
030c9405032ce49cf77eb4dd11f80a4f.jpg
<br />
<br />
Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Looks like you have problem with the tank condition. Those anemones don't seem to be infected. Need to get your tank up to par and the anemones will improve. I don't think antibiotic will help

Anyone else have a sick mag spew up what looks like partially digested food? Do wholesalers etc. feed these anemones? I got it from the LFS the day it came in and I really hope they didn't feed it "just because", makes me wonder. I keep seeing white chunky/stringy stuff being expelled from my new mag in treatment and I'm hoping it's just food. This has been going on since maybe Tuesday, mag has been in HT since last Sunday.

Undigested food regurgitated with in 24 hrs in healthy Anemones. I think your anemone is in serious trouble, it not food but other internal organelles. Doe he deflates? Pictures?

Undigested food regurgitated with in 24 hrs in healthy Anemones. I think your anemone is in serious trouble, it not food but other internal organelles. Doe he deflates? Pictures?

I switched to cipro Thursday night and it hasn't deflated since, your answer is what I was afraid of. It's been responding to cipro well so hopefully it's salvageable. If/when it spews more I'll be sure to take a photo before removing whatever it is, it does have the chunky rat poop stuff with it as well.

I switched to cipro Thursday night and it hasn't deflated since, your answer is what I was afraid of. It's been responding to cipro well so hopefully it's salvageable. If/when it spews more I'll be sure to take a photo before removing whatever it is, it does have the chunky rat poop stuff with it as well.
Where did you get the cipro from?1

Back