Protocol for using antibiotics to treat infected anemones ~Added to 7/30/14

Slight UPenn mouth is fine. It is the large open mouth that is not associated with eating that is a sigh of bad health.
They can open their mouth and eat. That is no problem.

Thanks a lot for sharing this treatment protocol! It helped to save my pink haddoni.
Before _20181214_215210.JPG
After _20190119_202033.jpg

Treatment was done in a bucket left from salt (25kg). Tiny pump was covered with a net i built from wires in a plastic shell.
_20190119_204732.jpg

I was feeding it daily with a small piece of shrimp (about 5 millimeters) , starting from day 4, because mouth was never closing. Feeding helped to resolve this.
After treatment added 5 sexy shrimps in a hope that they would help clean some wastes from the carpet.
_20190119_204816.jpg

Would Fish Mox (AKA amoxicillin) work just as well as Fish Flox (ciprofloxacin)? My LFS doesn't carry fish flox but does carry fish mox.

Amoxicillin is quite wide enough spectrum. Use it while you MO ciprofloxacin. I would use 250 mg per 10 gal also.

Thanks for the quick reply! If Amoxicillin is good enough, why do you recommend I order more ciprofloxacin? I'd be almost done with the treatment by the time it got here anyway.

So set up a 10 gallon tank for my blue gigantia thats been tanked for about 5 years, and notice the water is very cloudy. Is this normal? 10 gallon with heater and pump for airation along with 250 of cipro. I had to take my tank down and start over do to a dino outbreak and the nem wasnt looking good in the temporary 40 gallon breeder i have set up for my fish and him until new tank gets re started.

BTA rarely need treatment. When it is sick, it is invariably results from something else, so treatment does not help it as much, unless you correct everything else. If you want to treat BTA, I would use the same protocol. I am a day (several years) late here but just in case anybody else have the same question.

Back