Pukani Rock leacing PO4 like mad

I would do a water change and test again in a day or two before putting in your tank. a couple of times I saw spikes after changing water. make sure you rinse the rock off really well before putting it in the tank.

should I use ro/di water to rinse the rock or a tap water then cook it in ro/di water? should I use a brush to clean the surface of the rock before I put it back?

should I use ro/di water to rinse the rock or a tap water then cook it in ro/di water? should I use a brush to clean the surface of the rock before I put it back?

scrub and swoosh in clean water. it won't take long before it gets cloudy.
do again until the water in the rinsing bucket is clean.
also, if the rock is not alive, you can acid wash it which will eat away the precipitate. but I'm not sure if it is dissolving it back into the water.
have to check with the chemists for an answer on that. Randy?

I'm on week 2 and what a difference in my rock. I have to batches going. one live and one dead. the live rock is going to take a month at least. the rocks were covered in algae, even after scrubbing what i could off. now, just a few traces of that stiff GHA, but it's mostly white and pulls right off the rock...dead.

If i plan to set up a new tank, i will go this route again with the rock. There has not been much precipitate in the dead rock bin. so i would assume that rock is pretty clean. i gave up on testing with the cheap kits. A hanna meter is the only way to go here.

I can only find a few references to dry Tonga branch rock in this thread. Is everyones experience similar to the Pukani in terms of PO4 leaching? Why does it leach, dead life inside of it>?

I got 50 pounds of the rock in. I soaked it in a brute barrel and changed the water several times. I also gave it an acid bath with a fairly weak solution of muriatic acid for a couple hours then changed the water each day for a few.

I tested the water it sat in after 2 full days of soaking with an ultra low hanna meter, and it came in at .076 ppm, some of whcih I cannot rule out not being from the brute itself. I have since put it in my completely restarted tank so Ill see wher eit gets me.....

scrub and swoosh in clean water. it won't take long before it gets cloudy.
do again until the water in the rinsing bucket is clean.
also, if the rock is not alive, you can acid wash it which will eat away the precipitate. but I'm not sure if it is dissolving it back into the water.
have to check with the chemists for an answer on that. Randy?

I'm on week 2 and what a difference in my rock. I have to batches going. one live and one dead. the live rock is going to take a month at least. the rocks were covered in algae, even after scrubbing what i could off. now, just a few traces of that stiff GHA, but it's mostly white and pulls right off the rock...dead.

If i plan to set up a new tank, i will go this route again with the rock. There has not been much precipitate in the dead rock bin. so i would assume that rock is pretty clean. i gave up on testing with the cheap kits. A hanna meter is the only way to go here.

Sorry, clean water meaning rodi water or tap water?

I just set up a 151 gallon custom Reef Savvy with 80 pounds of Pukani.

I got 0.48 phosphate by Hanna LR meter. I also got 0.11 out of Precision Marine Pro media reactor using BRS regular GFO. Tank is empty and lights are out. I don't intend to use Lanthium Chloride as I took 2-3 days to arrange rocks perfect. I'll just change media every 10 days as it drops.

I have to say I thrill with Pukani rock I got and would recommend it.

Tap water might be okay, but the contents can vary a lot. Personally, I'd stick with RO/DI unless I was sure there's no copper, etc, in the tap water.

24 hours after my setup with 80 lbs of Pukani and 2 cups of GFO in a 150 tank my phosphates went from 0.48 ppm to 0.11 ppm in the tank. I used Hanna LR meter. I don't find a need to for Lanthium Chloride at this rate, but tank is empty right now.

I am sure rock will continue to leach phosphate but I would disagree with LEACHING LIKE MAD. It is certainly under control in my tank.

Tap water might be okay, but the contents can vary a lot. Personally, I'd stick with RO/DI unless I was sure there's no copper, etc, in the tap water.

in regards to tap, just use it to rinse the rock of the precipitate. than back into ro/di water.

i would not use tap water to treat...just a quick rinse if you are using ro/di in the main cleansing bin.

FWIW...I did a week in rodi and now have the rocks in heated saltwater with a skimmer. you would not believe what is in that skimmate. Keep in mind i acid washed these dead rocks 3 times as well as a bleach soak and I'm still getting some nasty stuff in the skimmer. I think the rock would have cycled on it's own. but i put one live rock in there last night too. ;-)

24 hours after my setup with 80 lbs of Pukani and 2 cups of GFO in a 150 tank my phosphates went from 0.48 ppm to 0.11 ppm in the tank. I used Hanna LR meter. I don't find a need to for Lanthium Chloride at this rate, but tank is empty right now.

I am sure rock will continue to leach phosphate but I would disagree with LEACHING LIKE MAD. It is certainly under control in my tank.

let's see how long that GFO lasts. In a new setup, it may take a day or two for the rock to start leaching enough into the water.

keep us posted.

Should we have the rocks in warm/hot water so that the stuff in the rocks can decompose or will cold water do? I'm planning on curing my rocks in the garage and its cold where I live. Around 40 degrees.

40 might be cold enough to slow down the cleanup-curing process, but it'll still happen eventually. The bacteria might die as the temperature goes up when you put the rock in a real tank, but that's not very important, IMO.

Should we have the rocks in warm/hot water so that the stuff in the rocks can decompose or will cold water do? I'm planning on curing my rocks in the garage and its cold where I live. Around 40 degrees.

Rich, warm water I believe is better and I just put a 250w heater in the brute can. The mag pump I had in there also provided some heat for the water too.

An update on my rocks....after curing one batch for 2 months and another for only 3 weeks I was finally able to give a rinse and put them in the new tank earlier this week. I tested my po4 this morning and after 4 days my level is at 0.049. I am very happy with that will continue to monitor it.

Thank you oregonreefer....would for starting this thread!

I have 150 lbs pukani in saltwater at this time. I am planning on curing and dosing phosfree at the same time. Would there be any reason to stop running the skimmer after I add the phosfree?

I wouldn't run a skimmer with LC... Not that it would hurt but the precipitate seems to really like to stick to plastics and it would be a chore to get it clean again.

Plus you don't need a skimmer for curing

I wouldn't run a skimmer with LC... Not that it would hurt but the precipitate seems to really like to stick to plastics and it would be a chore to get it clean again.

Plus you don't need a skimmer for curing

no problem on the skimmer. just a little acid wash and the skimmer is good to go. no precipitate to worry about. Same goes for the rock. if it were dead, i would give it one final acid wash.
Live rock, just swoosh real good.

my skimmer has been pulling out some crap just from the curing process. and that was after 3 acid washes and a bleach dip.

my phosphate is now at a acceptable level 0.02 ppm, after a good rinse I will place them in the display along with the sand. Will it start a cycle by just putting the rocks and sand in or do I have to add a piece of live rock?

Back