Pukani rock showing high nitrites

fishkeeprian

Hello,

My Pukani has been cycling in a container for nearly 3 weeks.

The Ammonia zeroed out last week but the nitrites have maxed out the API test kit.

Is now time to do a large water change or should I just leave it to sort itself out?

Thanks

Nitrites are the next step in the "cycle". If they are truly that high, a small water change to bring them down a bit won't hurt, but if it were me, I would just let it ride. All it will do is grow more nitrifying bacteria. Of course it may take twice as long, but thems the breaks sometimes.

On a side note, how did you introduce ammonia? Could explain why you have such high nitrites.

At the end of the cycle if you do choose to let it ride, you'll want to do a MASSIVE WC to get rid of the super high nitrates you'll have. Even 100% WC isn't out of the ordinary.

On a side note, how did you introduce ammonia? Could explain why you have such high nitrites.

At the end of the cycle if you do choose to let it ride, you'll want to do a MASSIVE WC to get rid of the super high nitrates you'll have. Even 100% WC isn't out of the ordinary.

Pukani has a ton of dried out/decayed material on it. It's normal for it to cycle on its own.

the ammonia source is probably the decaying dried organics from the rocks, i think

i cured my pukani over 8 weeks in my display tank, i did 3 100% water change, at 3 weeks, 6 weeks and 8 weeks. my nitrites and nitrates both maxed out the api test kit in the beginning.

water changes is probably not necessary, but you will probably end up with pretty stinky water in the container...

if i were to start a new tank today, i'll let my pukani sit in a container with no water changes for 3-4 months, then add it to a 100% fresh salt mix tank, THEN start cycling the tank with an external ammonia source for another month.

My Pukani cured in for nearly 12 months in a Rubbermaid tank with heat, circulation, and a few 100% water changes along the way. My tank was cycled before I could make enough RODI/salt mix to fill my system (2 days). There was indeed plenty of organics in my rock to drive a cycle without any other intervention.

The joys of using dry Pukani. Similar boat although I did it a bit differently. 150 lbs dry Pukani, pressure wash, disperse across 4 tubs outside, add bleach, soak 24 hours, dump water, more tap water, more bleach, soak another 24 hours, dump that water, refill with more tap water, add phosphate remover (pool & spa stuff), let sit 24 hours, dump, refill, more phosphate remover, 24 more hours, dump, refill, more phosphate remover - this time water was clear, dump all out and pressure wash one last time.

Now it is stacked in the tank and I'll fill with water, add ammonia, sit until it registers, then test daily to see how the cycle progresses. No rush but I have most of the junk off that was decayed and what is left won't hurt the cycle. If need be I can add more of the phosphate remover and put some floss in the sump so it will catch the white stuff that is a result of it.

Back