purple scorpion fish

hey namxas, what's that grass in your tank? can u put that stuff in FOWLR tanks?

that is Caulerpa taxifolia (one of the feather Caulerpa sp.). it is classified as a noxious species, and is extremely fast growing. if you decide to keep it, be sure to freeze the prunings for 24 hrs prior to tossing them.

i use this and other live macros in several of our setups. besides having a nice look, it aids in water quality and provides refuge for the fish as well as microfauna.

toocomfy900-1.jpg

the red macro in this pic is Botryocladia sp.

fronny700-1.jpg

Purple Rhinopia

Purple Rhinopia

The Rhino thats being talked about earlier in this thread I have bought the other day it was a crazy deal i couldn't turn down. Even though I have sold all of my tanks I couldn't say no So I bought it and now until I get an aquarium again he's residing in my brothers sump

Last edited:
You may want to do a little research on the correct diet for this fish. Goldfish are not a good food for them.

that is Caulerpa taxifolia (one of the feather Caulerpa sp.). it is classified as a noxious species, and is extremely fast growing. if you decide to keep it, be sure to freeze the prunings for 24 hrs prior to tossing them.

i use this and other live macros in several of our setups. besides having a nice look, it aids in water quality and provides refuge for the fish as well as microfauna.

would you be willing to sell some of that caulerpa it looks really cool

Mutt-- awesome shot-
i saw your video- the fish is gorgeous- do you happen to have any pictures which are clear and in sharp focus?
I'd like to see what the patterning is on the side of the fish
thanks

I actually have a video on youtube if you wanna watch it just search johnndville

Frank, I think you'll appreciate my Adam Lambert more after this.

Beautiful fish..... but the goldfish are about the worse thing you can feed it. Try to get him on frozen, if not, feed him live MARINE fish or gutloaded ghostshrimp.

would you be willing to sell some of that caulerpa it looks really cool

I'm his wifey.... we can't share the caulerpa actually. It's illegal for me to even have here, but I brought it with me from Texas. It's something that can really ruin our oceans and we really aren't being responsible by keeping it in the first place. To balance this we 100% of the time follow the rules of disposal and never ship it (it's illegal to ship it across state lines) or share it (it's illegal to possess it in Cali - so my friends can't have it). Sorry.

Last edited:
Frank, I think you'll appreciate my Adam Lambert more after this.
I'm his wifey.... we can't share the caulerpa actually. It's illegal for me to even have here, but I brought it with me from Texas. It's something that can really ruin our oceans and we really aren't being responsible by keeping it in the first place. To balance this we 100% of the time follow the rules of disposal and never ship it (it's illegal to ship it across state lines) or share it (it's illegal to possess it in Cali - so my friends can't have it). Sorry.

thats cool i know there are similar macros out there and i totally understand i dont want you guys getting in trouble for shipping that stuff anywhere

i got a few questions...
1) why is that caulerpa illegal? i never heard about this. can someone elaborate.

2) online site say that rhinos can eat snails and hermits. is that true? i mean, it's hard to imagine them swallowing a whole SHELL. wouldn't that be painful for them?

3) i asked this already i think and i have seen different answers. so are these rhinos dangerous or not? is the sting really bad or just like a bee sting?

It's an invasive species. This site will tell ya everything. SCCAT

They won't eat snails and hermits.

It's not like a bee sting, but your arm won't fall off and it won't traditional kill ya.

I didn't want to derail this thread, but since it is sort of going all over -- rduong, your leaf is a beautiful fish!

I hope Frank gets that photo he wants!

Old thread. I don't even remember starting it 4 years ago. But I just bought a Rhino Scorpion fish. Can someone give me an Id on it? And tell me the best way to feed it?

I paid $160 for it. Was that a good price?

Attachments

• rhino.jpg
    rhino.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2
  • rhino1.jpg
    rhino1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1
  • rhino2.jpg
    rhino2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1
Old thread. I don't even remember starting it 4 years ago. But I just bought a Rhino Scorpion fish. Can someone give me an Id on it? And tell me the best way to feed it?

that is an insane good price for that fish

Beautiful scorp, what were they feeding it at the LFS? Most of them will eat glass shrimp to start and can be taught to accept prepared foods that arent "alive"

Back