Purple Tang or Powder Blue?!?!?!?!

I have always been afraid of getting a tang because I have heard of the horror stories with tangs (mainly sailfins and yellow tangs). If I wanted to get a tang that will have the least probability to get sick or get infections which would it be? I really want a powder blue or the purple tang, which is safer?

Thanks!

Most people here will say you have to small of a tank, but I dont agree with them... I think a purple would do good if you could find a small enough one

I agree some people might think the tank it too small but I am not planning on putting too many fish in there, my tank has a lot of room. If I get one its going to be about 2-3 inches, nothing bigger.

The purple will not get as big as the blue but they all have the same chances of getting sick as they all come from the ocean :). Be sure and QT him to treat any illnesses that may pop up.

Purple is a better choice as far as disease resistance...but all Tangs are very prone to ich so make sure to qt for 4 weeks.
Also, you may want to add the purple as your last fish as they get very territorial...and the purple will out grow your tank so be prepared to upgrade or find it a new home:)

Either is fine. Just be sure to have a cleaner shrimp in there. I feed my tangs every 3 days with Spectrum Thera A and no problems (about 1/2 teaspoon). I did have a sailfin die recently for unknown reasons. Doing fine and when I returned home from work, was a gonner. If it does not eat well, soak a little of the food in garlic juice. You might want to try a little nori on a clip if all else fails. I have a powder blue, hippo, and yellow. All are doing great after more than 3 years.
JR

Back