Purple tang

ErosJN

Hey guys,
I just purchased a 3 inch purple tang a couple of days ago for 80 bucks and its my first time owning one so I'm just looking for input on successfully keeping one from people who have kept them successfully. The first day was rough because of the harrassment from the powder brown and yellow tang but after completely reorganizing the rock work they have all become model citizens. Hes eating Nori, flakes and cubes just fine.. Anyone with tips or advice on keeping them thriving and healthy is greatly appteciated.

As long as he's eating and getting along with the tank mates. He will do fine. I had my Purple tang for about 10 yrs now and he's still doing great. Same diet as what you feed your tangs. Nori sheets, flakes, and brine shrimp. Hope that helps. Good luck!:)

Wow awesome! Do you have pics of your guy? If he's still kicking around after 10 years, I wonder how long they can live

I do have pics but I have trouble uploading pics from my phone to RC. The tang was purchased from a member off RC back then. He was fully grown when i got him so I can only imagine how old he really is...??? Lol

Congrats on getting to them to live together!!

I feed my entire tank 3 times a day with New Life Spectrum Thera A Pellets and nori once in a while. Also a homemade frozen food blend rarely. Everyone is fat and healthy.

I have all living together for about 3 years: Purple, Yellow, Desjardini, Sohal & Achilles.

Achilles will only eat nori.

Just make sure your tank is large enough for them to swim around.

Keep up the good work!

Super easy to care for. The purple will eventually be aggressive and hold his own. It will be hard to add peas full fish in the future. Just my experience. I have had my purple for about 5 years but got him from a guy when I bought my old 120 gal. He was adult then and the guy said he had him for years before I got him. Don't know his actual age. I haven't put in new display yet. I will add him last. For now he is in my large frag tank.

Awesome! I just stumbled across a youtube video where the guy claimed the Purple was 24 years old! You're not the first person to tell me about their additude behavior so I'm wondering how he's going to fair up with the Atlantic Blue considering thats the tank boss. I wont be adding anymore tangs at this point considering h
The amount I have. At some point in 2017 I'll most likely be upgrading to a 360 or more in which that point I may try to add an achilles and powder blue to the mix.

Back