QT Questions ...

LOL it is a bit of being a biologist, chemist, engineer, plumber, carpenter, electrician I probably forgot a few.

I think you forgot "Financial Planner".

And thanks to all for the detailed explanation. Been needing to set up a QT system and this certainly helps.

Also be aware that your ttyl tanks should be far enough apart to avoid any sort of cross contamination. My procedure is pretty much identical to Tony's.

Toss perfectly good things? Someone didn't live during the great depression. :rollface:

-seriously though.. if you let it dry out why not keep it? Those things can last years.

@ the bleach thing: ICH cannot survive in a dry condition, sterilizing things is a bit excessive. But if it makes people feel better they can do it, I wont.

take whatever chances you wish.

I know that a Mandy is incredibly tough to QT - it is on my list of fish for the new tank, but is last on my list. I am going to wait until the tank is matured for at least a year before buying and placing a Mandy.

The tests this morning on the tank cycle showed 0 ammonia, and Nitrites dropping quickly. I should be dosing ammonia up to 2 mg/L tomorrow to start testing to make sure the system will remove ammonia and nitrites within 24 hours. I'm hoping that it will be ready to start adding livestock within a week or so. It's time to get a fish going in TTM this weekend, in preparation for adding it to the new tank in about a month or so.

I've already posted my fish-wish-list on snorvich's thread, he has reviewed and did not see any issues. The list is probably very similar to what everyone has / does - reef safe, friendly fish - Kole Tang, Anthias, Cardinalfish, Royal Gramma, Citrinis Clown Goby, McCosker's Wrasse, Diamond Watchman Gody & a Mandarin.

Which of these is the hardiest / easiest to TTM? I'd like to start with something easy until I get used to this method.

Does there appear to be an obvious (to everyone else) order to adding those fish to the system? Are there some that should be introduced before others? If so, why?

Last edited:
Also be aware that your ttyl tanks should be far enough apart to avoid any sort of cross contamination.

How far apart?

I was planning on buying a 6' workbench to put the TTM tanks and QT tank on. Looks like between the 3 tanks, I've got 70" of length going on a 72" long bench - max 1" apart.

If I had to, I could turn the tanks sideways, reducing the length to 32" on a 72" long bench - max 20" apart.

Or ... keep the QT on the current smaller workbench on the other side of some shelves, and I could space the TTM tanks 32" apart max.

Last edited:
First time around I would go with either the gramma or cardinal. Both are pretty hardy IMO. Just food for future thought look into a pink margin fairy wrasse. Mine came out of QT a week or so ago. beautiful color and very mellow. Good luck

Next question - I'll be moving 2 clowns, a chromis and a firefish from the nanoCube to the new tank.

None of them have ever been sick, nor shown signs of being sick.

TTM them before putting them in the new tank?

If you wanted to be sure then yes TT then to new tank. This is assuming that they were not previously treated. If you have high confidence then it is up to you. But, if they had not been treated I would not take the chance. just my paranoia.

your ttyl tanks

sorry, that shoulda said "ttm". i was sitting in the doctor's office. ;)

How far apart?

i don't have the answer to this. i've always kept my qt/ttm tanks on the other side of the room. might not hurt to do a search or even start a thread asking this. i do know i've seen several people say it's imperative to keep tanks far enough apart to prevent cross contamination, even though i would think it would be a small chance. still, it's a chance.

I'll put the QT on one side of the shelves, and the TTM tanks on the new workbench - when I finally get it and put it together ... Damned job interfered with my hobbying this afternoon!

Thought about it over night, TTMing the current nanoCube crew would help me out. I could tear down the nanoCube quicker and get it out of the way.

Are 4 relatively small fish going to be too much for a 10G TTM tank though?

they're all pretty small so it *should* work ok. you might think about using some sort of divider like a piece of egg crate to keep the clowns separate from the rest to prevent any aggression.

Plenty of egg crate laying around here someplace ... I'm sure I can fashion up some form of divider to keep the Clown gang from roughing up the Chromis/Firefish while the quarters are tight.

The two of you have been very helpful (and patient with my litany of questions)! The help and input is very much appreciated!

The big tank looks close to finishing the cycle soon. I'm going to try to get the workbench and TTM tanks setup tonight and tomorrow, then move the nanoCube inhabitants in there on Sunday to start the TTM process.

we aim to please! ;) don't be afraid to ask a question or 2 or 3 or 10 even if you think it's "stupid". there are no stupid questions in this hobby.

good luck with your move/ttm. it's really a nice feeling to be able to put fish into your dt that you know 99.999% are disease-free!!

btw, the pup in your avatar is adorable!

Use the tank transfer method with Mandarins and feed it pods during the process. They rarely contract ich due to their thick slime coat, but they can carry it and infect other fish.

This. Don't forget that ich is the least problematical parasite. There are much worse (velvet, brook, uronema) and mandarins can carry them.

btw, the pup in your avatar is adorable!

Thanks! That's Rocky ... the youngest of my 2 Goldendoodles. Her Mom was a Tri-colored Parti-Poodle, for some reason she only got the Black & White markings.

Here's both Rocky & Goldie - this is where I find them while I work all day ... or work on my tank all day!

IMG_3732_zpslp1daukk.jpg

It has been a pleasure to help. I have a feeling your in for a great adventure with the larger tank. Don't forgot to stop and appreciate how far it has come on occasion. Oh and stop being mean to those dogs.:lolspin:

I am going to be starting the cycle in my DT and QT at the same time. I've read a lot of people saying you should put your sponge filter in your DT's sump for a while to pick up some good bacteria but what about in this case where i will be starting both at the same time?
65g 20l sump 29g QT

If you go the uncycled QT route I would highly recommend getting a seachem ammonia alert badge for the tank and have something like prime or amquel on hand. You must be very vigilant for ammonia build up, you may end up changing water everyday. I would also keep extra saltwater on hand, at least the volume of your tank. Be aware that if you do use a copper medication that the use of the prime or amquel while using the copper can kill your fish. Good luck

Back