QT questions

Phillberto

Hi Stephen,
I've just read your quarantine article (well skimmed - I'm at work and will read thoroughly tonight). Very informative thanks. I've got a few questions if you don't mind. I'm new to the hobby and was in the process of setting up my tank (bought second hand with one fish).
Long story short - I bought a PB Tang - which got mild ich and treated coppersafe in my display tank (live rock only) - cringe.

I'm about to transfer everything to a Quarantine tank (4 fish in total).

I've still to buy a tank/container - I was thinking 20 gallons.

I'm worried about keeping the water stable. Would you recommend I use the display tank live rock and hyposalinity to treat ich or keep empty and use copper-based treatment?

Other issue I have is I have a blenny. I'm a bit confused they seem to be a 'carrier' of ich. Other posters suggest removing them - I don't get it. If they are a carrier surely they should be treated?

If i go with an empty tank and chemical ich treatment what will break down the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate - you mentioned a filter but even if I buy one it is going to take time to break in. If I run it on the main tank will it not serve as a nitrate producer?

I'm thinking I'm better going with hyposalinity and running a filter on main tank for further use of display tank but I'd appreciate your comments.

If the fish have already been treated successfully with copper, why are you going to remedicate them in a quarantine?

In the future, I would urge you to quarantine though. As for filtration in quarantine, I would not use liverock. Instead, a sponge filter or other substitute is best. Leave running on your display at all times so it is ready at a moments notice. The nitrate production should be minimal and of no harm.

Back