R/O system for home and reef

AZDesertRat

In Memoriam
Whichever one you choose make sure it is reef quality first and drinking water second. A very good example os the 75 GPD premium Reef/Residential series from www.buckeyefieldsupply.com . It has a full size vertical DI filter, Dow Filmtec RO membrane and all the features that make it a good unit. Others would be the Optima Vision series with an added drinking water kit from www.purelyh2o.com or a Ocean Wave+1 with a drinking kit from www.thefilterguys.biz . If you are looking for the absolute best then the MaxCap RO/DI system from www.spectrapure.com is the obvious choice.

spanishreefer

To those who use it for both drinking and reef, is it true that the water has a metalic taste to it after the DI stage? Would I have to run the r/o unit to a faucet at the sink and then a separate line that runs through the DI for final filtration to the reef? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I am a little confused.

Thanks so much for your responses.

Dan

a2fire2i

Premium Member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9851443#post9851443 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spanishreefer
To those who use it for both drinking and reef, is it true that the water has a metalic taste to it after the DI stage? Would I have to run the r/o unit to a faucet at the sink and then a separate line that runs through the DI for final filtration to the reef? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I am a little confused.

Thanks so much for your responses.

Dan

You would just T off the line coming from the RO membrane, run one to your sink and the other to the DI. You would only want to drink the RO water..

fatdaddy

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9851443#post9851443 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spanishreefer
To those who use it for both drinking and reef, is it true that the water has a metalic taste to it after the DI stage?

I'd give that an emphatic NO. It doesn't taste metallic. In fact, it's tasteless. I prefer Spring water with some mineral content for taste, but RO/DI isn't bad and much better then regular tap water.

Lotus99

The drinking water kit from The Filter Guys takes water after RO but before DI, so you get a nicer tasting water.