Radion G2 (regular) to G3 Pro Upgrade problems

cardiffgiant

I'm having a problem upgrading my radions from regular G2 to G3 pro, and I'm wondering if someone can give me some advice.

I have 2 regular Gen 2 radions, and 1 Gen 1 radion that had been upgraded to Gen 2 by a previous owner. I'm not sure if that was done by EcoTech or by the owner. I have been using all three of them with my apex WXM successfully for a number of years.

I decided to go and complicate things by upgrading them all to G3 pros, and now none of them will turn on. Here's what I did:
-Opened the units and replaced the pucks per the instructions from EcoTech
-I noticed that the female adapter on the G3 pro pucks has about 14 pins while the male adapter on my G2 harness has 12 pins. This is not mentioned at all in the installation materials. I installed beginning in what I believe is position 1 (with the board facing you, upper pin on the left hand side, lower pin on the right hand side)
-I tried using the apex web pages | modules | WXM to "reset to factory settings then "attach". Everything flashes then appears as available in apexfusion, but no light
-Then I tried updating through echotechlive. I attached each radion to the USB cable and tried to update firmware and reset. They all state that the firmware doesn't need to be updated, they all flash when I reset, but no light. Echotechlive shows them as Gen3.

So... what is the right way to do this?

Gen 1 radion can only be upgraded to Gen 3 Pro by ecotech marine. Even if it was upgraded to Gen 2 by previous owner it still won't work. The 14 pins on the puck and only 12 pins on the G2 harness is the issue. You can upgrade G1 to G2 on your own but it still wont be compatible with G3 or G3 pro upgrade unless Ecotech does it. I sent my G1's into ecotech and had them upgraded to the G3 pros.

I'm having a problem upgrading my radions from regular G2 to G3 pro, and I'm wondering if someone can give me some advice.

I have 2 regular Gen 2 radions, and 1 Gen 1 radion that had been upgraded to Gen 2 by a previous owner. I'm not sure if that was done by EcoTech or by the owner. I have been using all three of them with my apex WXM successfully for a number of years.

I decided to go and complicate things by upgrading them all to G3 pros, and now none of them will turn on. Here's what I did:
-Opened the units and replaced the pucks per the instructions from EcoTech
-I noticed that the female adapter on the G3 pro pucks has about 14 pins while the male adapter on my G2 harness has 12 pins. This is not mentioned at all in the installation materials. I installed beginning in what I believe is position 1 (with the board facing you, upper pin on the left hand side, lower pin on the right hand side)
-I tried using the apex web pages | modules | WXM to "reset to factory settings then "attach". Everything flashes then appears as available in apexfusion, but no light
-Then I tried updating through echotechlive. I attached each radion to the USB cable and tried to update firmware and reset. They all state that the firmware doesn't need to be updated, they all flash when I reset, but no light. Echotechlive shows them as Gen3.

So... what is the right way to do this?

Cardiff,

If you haven't done so already, contacting us directly would your best option for troubleshooting the issue you're having.

It turns out that they were all originally Gen1. I talked to ecotech and set up a RMA ticket to have them all upgraded to G3. A little advice for anyine else, if your wire harness is red, the fixtures are G1.

Glad you were able to figure it out. It's a bummer that the G1's aren't user upgradable to G3 or G3 pros......

Back