randys two part - does baking change the volume?

rwb500

randys recipe #1 calls for baking 2 1/4 cups of baking soda and then mixing that in a gallon of water. What if i am baking it first and then measuring it? is it still 2 1/4 cups or does the volume change when I bake it?

Measure it before you bake it then again after you bake it & find out. I also use it & would like to know.

sorry, its already in the oven. i wish i had thought of this beforehand so i could have let y'all know.

well judging by how hard it is to mix i think the volume may have changed a little. I messed up and let the calcium overflow a bit so a titration comparison of cal and alk wouldn't tell us anything. I guess this batch of two part will be kind of a wild card :uhoh2:

The specific volume you use is not as important as the consistency of that measurement. A slight variation is not going to be hugely important but if the amount you use varies quite a bit from batch to batch then you will need to adjust your dosing to account for that. I use Randy's 2-part and just use 2 cups each just to make it easier to remember.

The answer is YES, it changes the volume. You start out with 2 1/4 cups of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and after cooking it and driving off the carbon dioxide, you have about 2 cups of soda ash (sodium carbonate). Hope this helps.

The specific volume you use is not as important as the consistency of that measurement.

absolutely wrong. it is very important to match the two parts. if they are consistently unmatched, there will be problems.

The answer is YES, it changes the volume. You start out with 2 1/4 cups of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and after cooking it and driving off the carbon dioxide, you have about 2 cups of soda ash (sodium carbonate). Hope this helps.

thank you so much! great to know for next time.

Back